The language Nazi... These words are NOT verbs.... yet

Huge Ackman

There's no 'I' in team. No shit..there's no 'U' either so go away and let me do my job. That was my mantra when I worked for an inventory company and at Walmart.
  • Like 3

This is the kind of drivel I have to see at 8am every Monday:

"We are not a team because we work together. We are a team because we respect, trust and care for each other."

:facepalm:

All I respect is my f***ing paycheck lady. I care about are things that could possibly endanger that, but that's as far as it goes.

I really need a new job or to find a fresh set of idiots to work for.

I'm with ya, man. I think people would be a lot nicer to each other if they didn't get sentimental bullshit rammed into their faces every day. It irritates the hell out of me. Clever little cheerleader phrases just cheapen the f**k out of what it means to be cool with each other.

• Like 2

Our HR department has an automatic email process that sends out these stupid ass "inspirational" emails at 8am every Monday.

I set up one of my Outlook rules to send it to deleted items automatically.

I think it would contribute to a more positive work environment if....you just leave me the f**k alone.

Amen. My place has 10 company values that they cycle through (one every week) and send to everyone. The worst part is managers have to each take a week and give an example of how they've seen those values put into practice in the work place. Sometimes the supervisors have to take a turn too which worries me as that would be my next run up the ladder. I hate seeing them and don't want to inflict them on others but I like my job.

The real cause of this is the 'quality standards' industry came out with like qs9000. A bunch of arbitrary measures that makes you jump through hoops, but rarely improves the business. Sure I worked for companies that did this. One is out of business...guess that bullshit mission statement and quality measures didn't cut it did it?

If your business has it's head up the ass, no quality measures will save you.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Mission statements are completely moronic.

Our company aims:

- to nurture a collaborative spirit of innovation.

- to work together to find new ways to nourish our company ethos

- to pioneer a philosophy that facilitates productive teamwork

- to reconcile divergent attitudes, approaches, and frameworks

- to pretend not to notice the redundancy and meaningless of the company mission

etc.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Our company aims:

- to pretend not to notice the redundancy and meaningless of the company mission

etc.

I don't understand any of those...

I mean, sure, I understand the meaning of the individual words.

But collectively they make no sense whatsoever.

Just pseudo-intellectual sounding bullshit.

Big words, put together, signifying nothing.

Our company aims:

etc.

blah-blah-blah-82bgg0.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm guilty of using (or overusing) 'awesome'...but old habits n' all, plus I am a child of the 80s. Hard to let that shit go. At least I'm not talking 'valley girl' all the time (not that I was back then, but still, it did leak into the casual daily lexicon of the middle/high- schooler of the times)... I will endeavor to use 'awesome' less unless something truly warrants it. Oh, and usage of the word 'awesomesauce' in any application, at all, will result in that person getting kicked in the head. There is no excuse for that shit.

And I hate corporate speak. Those sentences don't even make any sense!! And the onerous leaking over into resume writing that results..gotta hit those keywords so to make the computer readers 'ping'.

QjluEVR.gif

I detest corporate speak.

• Like 1

I'm guilty of using (or overusing) 'awesome'...but old habits n' all, plus I am a child of the 80s. Hard to let that shit go. At least I'm not talking 'valley girl' all the time (not that I was back then, but still, it did leak into the casual daily lexicon of the middle/high- schooler of the times)... I will endeavor to use 'awesome' less unless something truly warrants it. Oh, and usage of the word 'awesomesauce' in any application, at all, will result in that person getting kicked in the head. There is no excuse for that shit.

And I hate corporate speak. Those sentences don't even make any sense!! And the onerous leaking over into resume writing that results..gotta hit those keywords so to make the computer readers 'ping'.

QjluEVR.gif

I detest corporate speak.

I piss on corporate speak.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I really think I should email this to everyone at 8am on Monday. I guarantee that it would start everyone's day off right. Well except the prudes and the PC assholes who are in charge which would get me fired.

Well, it is 'work' related right?

I swear I'm sending this in an email on my last day before I walk out.

• Like 3

Init/innit.

f***ing hate the use of this as 99% of the time it doesn't make any sense.

person 1 - Good game last night.

person 2 - Init

Makes no sense at all

Person 1 - This is a good game

Person 2 - Init

Does actually make sense, but still irritates me

• Like 1

I really think I should email this to everyone at 8am on Monday. I guarantee that it would start everyone's day off right. Well except the prudes and the PC assholes who are in charge which would get me fired.

Well, it is 'work' related right?

I swear I'm sending this in an email on my last day before I walk out.

That's hardly NSFW!.....where are you employed?...a Benedictine Monastery?

Something that I try not to do but hear it a lot is the misuse of the words "I mean." Younger people say it at the beginning of almost every sentence it seems. I think people say it to fill in the gap when they want to say something but haven't yet figured out what they are going to say. It's like when people start a sentence with "So" as in "so, I've been working on this new project." Why can't you just say you are working on a new project.
  • Like 1

Something that I try not to do but hear it a lot is the misuse of the words "I mean." Younger people say it at the beginning of almost every sentence it seems. I think people say it to fill in the gap when they want to say something but haven't yet figured out what they are going to say. It's like when people start a sentence with "So" as in "so, I've been working on this new project." Why can't you just say you are working on a new project.

Our current version of the English language is neck-deep in bad grammar, slang, vulgarities and other irrelevant words and phrases.

We should be more like Vulcans. They speak clearly, simply and concisely. :LOL:

It isn't just misuse of words that annoys me. It's inflection too. Why are so many people raising the tone of their voice at the end of a sentence? It sounds like they are asking a question. This comes from people who are spokespeople for companies too, who should know better.

The high rising terminal, or "up-talking". It's when you make a stateMENT, but phrase it like a quesTION. I can't stand it, and NPR is absolutely infected with it.

But don't express that opinion to anyone, because it's considered a misogynistic micro-aggression...

https://www.npr.org/...g-womens-voices

From Upspeak To Vocal Fry: Are We 'Policing' Young Women's Voices?

Journalist Jessica Grose is no stranger to criticism of her voice. When she was co-hosting the Slate podcast, the DoubleX Gabfest, she would receive emails complaining about her "upspeak" — a tendency to raise her voice at the end of sentences. Once an older man she was interviewing for an article in Businessweek told her that she sounded like his granddaughter.

But linguistics professor Penny Eckert argues that women shouldn't have to change their voices to suit society...

[And this...]

I was shocked the first time I heard this style [upspeak] on NPR. I thought, "Oh my god, how can this person be talking like this on the radio?" Then I played it for my students, and I said, "How does she sound?" and they said, "Good, authoritative." And that was when I knew that I had a problem. ... That I was not a part of the generation that understood what that style means. ... There's been a change and those of us who are bothered by some of these features are probably just getting old.

:codger:

Edited by goose

It isn't just misuse of words that annoys me. It's inflection too. Why are so many people raising the tone of their voice at the end of a sentence? It sounds like they are asking a question. This comes from people who are spokespeople for companies too, who should know better.

The high rising terminal, or "up-talking". It's when you make a stateMENT, but phrase it like a quesTION. I can't stand it, and NPR is absolutely infected with it.

The Andy Griffith show must be on your "do not watch" list. I noticed "up-talking" quite a bit by the natives when I lived in NC.

• Like 1

But don't express that opinion to anyone, because it's considered a misogynistic micro-aggression...

Journalist Jessica Grose is no stranger to criticism of her voice. When she was co-hosting the Slate podcast, the DoubleX Gabfest, she would receive emails complaining about her "upspeak" — a tendency to raise her voice at the end of sentences. Once an older man she was interviewing for an article in Businessweek told her that she sounded like his granddaughter.

But linguistics professor Penny Eckert argues that women shouldn't have to change their voices to suit society...

[And this...]

I was shocked the first time I heard this style [upspeak] on NPR. I thought, "Oh my god, how can this person be talking like this on the radio?" Then I played it for my students, and I said, "How does she sound?" and they said, "Good, authoritative." And that was when I knew that I had a problem. ... That I was not a part of the generation that understood what that style means. ... There's been a change and those of us who are bothered by some of these features are probably just getting old.

It's got nothing to do with gender.....when I was in Australia, just about every man and his dog did it.....made me want to reach for the nearest baseball bat.

• Like 1

[And this...]

It's got nothing to do with gender.....when I was in Australia, just about every man and his dog did it.....made me want to reach for the nearest baseball bat.

Where I live, in Wisconsin, the vast majority of "upspeakers" are female. I guess it depends on where you live.

I wonder if she would say the same thing about macho men and their direct, get to the point, "don't waste my time with irrelevancies" voices. ;) ;)

• Like 2

The verbal pause to complete a thought. Probably the worst of these is you know, like, I mean it's probably something I still haven't been able to think of.