Damn I miss Porcupine Tree

Gompers

The last couple days I listened to all of Steven Wilson's solo material. Many tunes I skipped at halfway through the songs and forced myself to listen to what I did. It just doesn't have what I liked about PT. OK. Enough of that. No use wishing PT would return. Probably wouldn't be the same anyway.
  • Like 1

I haven't heard anything from Wilson that matches his work on In Absentia or Fear Of A Blank Planet.

And I'm a casual listener to PT.

• Like 3

The last couple days I listened to all of Steven Wilson's solo material. Many tunes I skipped at halfway through the songs and forced myself to listen to what I did. It just doesn't have what I liked about PT. OK. Enough of that. No use wishing PT would return. Probably wouldn't be the same anyway.

Yeah its a shame. As brilliant as his solo stuff is it does not strike the same chord with me. Bummer

Speaking of bummer his solo material is even more depressing to me than pt. Cant say thats a bonus...

• Like 1

Ultimately in the end, porcupine tree was a solo project.

I like to think the other musicians had more creative input.
  • Like 1

If he wasn't 100% into it, but he carried on for the fans, how good would it be? It would most likely be shit. So he did what he had to do, ended it on a high and made the albums that he wanted to, or had to.

• Like 2

I haven't heard anything from Wilson that matches his work on In Absentia or Fear Of A Blank Planet.

And I'm a casual listener to PT.

Those are both amazing but Raven tops em all.

Agree, Raven is definitely up there with those, maybe even better.

• Like 1

Ultimately in the end, porcupine tree was a solo project.

that's just flat out false.

Mick

While I won't argue that the other members had creative input, at the end of the day, there was one ringleader in the whole group.

PT will never be replicated or surpassed.

I have all the Steven Wilson solo stuff. The Japanese stuff, the limited boxes stuff.

Damn, what a waste of money and time to my ears as I type this.

"To The Bone" is pure shit.

Wilson wishes he could write quality pop like Tobias Forge.

When the money runs out just watch kids. Steven will get PT back for a cash grab album and reunion tour. All of you addicts will open up your wallets for it.

I'll give my money to GHOST.

A real pop prog rock band.

• Like 1

If he wasn't 100% into it, but he carried on for the fans, how good would it be? It would most likely be shit. So he did what he had to do, ended it on a high and made the albums that he wanted to, or had to.

Except that The Incident wasn't a high in my opinion and was morphing into what sounded more like his solo stuff. I think Wilson's involvement with remastering classic Prog albums and the accolades for being the next Prog god pushed his solo writing beyond melodic and into experimental jazz almost, which I am not a fan of even a little. The PT Signify through FOABP to me are simply amazing. To me, there was a near perfect mix of melody and Progressiveness, like Rush in a way. Maybe PT ended when it needed to. I will carry a torch for the band as one of the best in its genre.

I have all the Steven Wilson solo stuff. The Japanese stuff, the limited boxes stuff.

When the money runs out just watch kids. Steven will get PT back for a cash grab album and reunion tour. All of you addicts will open up your wallets for it.

I listened to To The Bone and it really sounds like an attempt at mainstream pop radio. There may have been two songs I liked, Permanating being one. And Hand. Cannot. Erase. had a few as well, but again, no Wilson solo release is as immersive start to finish as PT. I will Spotify some Ghost I think. Currently Opeth has been one of my "new" favs.

Except that The Incident wasn't a high in my opinion and was morphing into what sounded more like his solo stuff. I think Wilson's involvement with remastering classic Prog albums and the accolades for being the next Prog god pushed his solo writing beyond melodic and into experimental jazz almost, which I am not a fan of even a little. The PT Signify through FOABP to me are simply amazing. To me, there was a near perfect mix of melody and Progressiveness, like Rush in a way. Maybe PT ended when it needed to. I will carry a torch for the band as one of the best in its genre.

Whatever the case he's not that guy anymore, the PT guy you admire, and it seems very unlikely he ever will be again. So you may as well accept reality and just enjoy the PT stuff that exists and forget about the solo stuff. No point constantly bitching about it, you've already made these points several times already.

• Like 1

Earl, you crazy.

While I miss PT and would welcome a final go ‘round I also enjoy his solo albums and especially the last three. The first two....not so much. I don’t aim to sound apologist, but I trust Steven to do the right thing. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I love it, and on occasion it’s something I don’t much care for....but that applied to PT for me as well, barely caring for any of that material pre-Signify. I always look forward to the next album from the man.
  • Like 2

Thankfully I enjoy PT and his solo work about equal. I pity those of you who don't. I don't foresee any new PT material for a very long time, if ever again. Even if SW changes his mind about PT being officially dead, it wouldn't be until his solo thing peters out. He probably sold a bunch of albums and tickets for the To The Bone tour, so I don't suspect he feels any need to resurrect PT. I would count on at least 1 - 20 more solo albums before the PT reunion.

Hand Cannot Erase is going to go down as one of this era's best progressive rock albums. It will likely be remembered for many generations to come. PT fans don't have to like it, but failing to see where others might find this to be true is perhaps a personal issue. At the same time, I struggle to think of any PT album that worked so completely as a concept and consistently in its narrative.

Edited by stoopid

The money will never run out Earl, and if it did Wilson can continue with his producing and remixing. That is probably his future. Wilson will retire from performing before he ever brings back PT.

I think Wilson knows about the fans wanting the return of PT, but he's a stubborn guy who will never give in to demands of fans. Fans wanting a PT return will actually ensure that there never is one.

Miss them too, especially when I think of all the great, countless concert memories. I was lucky enough to see them 5 times as a four-piece, with Chris Maitland on drums. Unbelievable performances!

They were never the same without him... :codger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCaYFovwrTE&t=1276s

• Like 1

Whatever the case he's not that guy anymore, the PT guy you admire, and it seems very unlikely he ever will be again. So you may as well accept reality and just enjoy the PT stuff that exists and forget about the solo stuff. No point constantly bitching about it, you've already made these points several times already.

Yeah, I have a problem with missing great music and hoping for more. This thread was about just that. It won't come back and if it did, it will suck. However, I would really like to be happily surprised should it return.

Yeah, I have a problem with missing great music and hoping for more. This thread was about just that. It won't come back and if it did, it will suck. However, I would really like to be happily surprised should it return.

Forget that PT stuff and get into JUDAS PRIEST! It's way better and obviously more METAL! :haz:

• Like 1