Let's talk about Rush! What is your favorite drummer performance on any Rush album?

Entre_Perpetuo

I have to say, one of the elements of music I least pay attention to are the drums. I prefer music with drums, but have difficulty appreciating the nuances of different drummers or performances. One of the things I disliked about heavy metal as a genre of music, was the fact that concerts would often be stopped for some inane drum solo. It always feels like such a complete waste of time. We could get a whole other song if not for the damn drum solo. I feel the same way about live performance guitar & bass solos where the band vacates the stage so that a musician can twiddle for a while. Still, nothing was worse than a drum solo. If I had assigned seats, it was 100% guaranteed pee time!

All that said, I gave this question the respect it deserves and listened to many songs specifically for the drums. I took a lot of time to carefully pay attention to drumming I felt was unique or special and really brought something interesting to the song. The conclusion I came to may not be popular on the board. My favourite drum performance on any RUSH album is Red Lenses on Grace Under Pressure. The drumming on it is amazing and it includes a small drum solo that not only doesn't take away from the song, but adds to it. I feel like the drumming on that song is so full and interesting that you could strip it down to just vocals and drums and still have a song. Granted it wouldn't be as good, because the other elements work perfectly, but I feel like the drums are the driving force and heartbeat of that song. I know it is one of the ones that is largely hated here, but in my opinion the drumming on it is spectacular.

Contrarian facts from what might be growing into TRF's most alternative perspective, but darn if Neil doesn't put together one of his headiest beats without loosing his groove on Red Lenses.

Geds bass work on that one is super underrated as well, I actually just noticed that as the track was running out.

IMO..Grace Under Pressure was the last "GREAT" Peart album. Not that he wasn't still the world's best rock drummer after...but P/G was the last album where everyone had to say, "That's Neil f***ing Peart on drums, man! Isn't he awesome?"

I have to say, one of the elements of music I least pay attention to are the drums. I prefer music with drums, but have difficulty appreciating the nuances of different drummers or performances. One of the things I disliked about heavy metal as a genre of music, was the fact that concerts would often be stopped for some inane drum solo. It always feels like such a complete waste of time. We could get a whole other song if not for the damn drum solo. I feel the same way about live performance guitar & bass solos where the band vacates the stage so that a musician can twiddle for a while. Still, nothing was worse than a drum solo. If I had assigned seats, it was 100% guaranteed pee time!

All that said, I gave this question the respect it deserves and listened to many songs specifically for the drums. I took a lot of time to carefully pay attention to drumming I felt was unique or special and really brought something interesting to the song. The conclusion I came to may not be popular on the board. My favourite drum performance on any RUSH album is Red Lenses on Grace Under Pressure. The drumming on it is amazing and it includes a small drum solo that not only doesn't take away from the song, but adds to it. I feel like the drumming on that song is so full and interesting that you could strip it down to just vocals and drums and still have a song. Granted it wouldn't be as good, because the other elements work perfectly, but I feel like the drums are the driving force and heartbeat of that song. I know it is one of the ones that is largely hated here, but in my opinion the drumming on it is spectacular.

Contrarian facts from what might be growing into TRF's most alternative perspective, but darn if Neil doesn't put together one of his headiest beats without loosing his groove on Red Lenses.

Geds bass work on that one is super underrated as well, I actually just noticed that as the track was running out.

IMO..Grace Under Pressure was the last "GREAT" Peart album. Not that he wasn't still the world's best rock drummer after...but P/G was the last album where everyone had to say, "That's Neil f***ing Peart on drums, man! Isn't he awesome?"

Absalom!

Of course when it all comes down to it, nothing really beats the almost scientific percussion in permanent waves, the album perfect in every single way

But i do like the harder, richer and more tectured drumming in counterparts and snakes

• Like 1

Recently focused on The Speed Of Love percussion and gave me a whole new appreciation of the track.. was never one of the bands VERY worst but when sometimes i would even skip it years ago has now become pretty much goto
  • Like 1

"All the World's a Stage" is a feast for any drummers' ears. :yes:

If I had to pick a single tune...Spirit of Radio maybe? Cool arrangement, and sounds like he's having fun playing it.

EP, re: Rutsey - he's got a nice feel, especially in the way he swings "Here Again" (against the straight timing of the riff - very nifty). NP's live performance of this tune (Nov 74) sounds awkward, and the tempo slowly deflates throughout, which makes it seem leaden and uninteresting.

http://drummerszone.media/artists/2000/7570-04152013164157.jpg