Depeche Mode - rock or not ?

Saw them last week in Anaheim, I know they don't get a lot of respect from "real" rock fans, but Dave Gahan is as good any frontman in "traditional" rock. Engaging, charismatic, still has the voice, and works a crowd as well as anyone.

The band for some time now play with a traditional drums//guitar setup as well as the 2 keyboard players (the 2nd sometimes playing bass) and that place was as loud and rocking as much as it was for Rush or any other "rock" band I've seen in the same venue.

Any other love for them in here ?

• Like 2

Violater is a masterpiece. I haven't checked anything else out.

I should though.

• Like 1

Only song I actually heard of is "I Just Can't Get Enough". Nice song.

Wait, you've never heard People Are People, Enjoy The Silence, Personal Jesus or Policy Of Truth? I don't buy that for a second.

• Like 1

Wait, you've never heard People Are People, Enjoy The Silence, Personal Jesus or Policy Of Truth? I don't buy that for a second.

The last two, yes. Enjoy the Silence? People are People, is that about some dude punching another dude in the face?

• Like 1

Seriously.

The last two, yes. Enjoy the Silence? People are People, is that about some dude punching another dude in the face?

It just takes a while to travel from your head to ya' fist!

DM is an awesome band. I'd probably consider them Techno-Rock I guess. Like Ministry maybe but only good.

They have like 40+ classic songs and not many bands can say that.

Condemnationnnnnnnn... DriiiiiIIIIIIiiive!

EDIT:

Oh an Smashing Pumpkins totally ripped off "Barrel of a Gun" with that "Mi Amour" song. Virtually identical verses.

Edited by Del_Duio

It just takes a while to travel from your head to ya' fist!

DM is an awesome band. I'd probably consider them Techno-Rock I guess. Like Ministry maybe but only good.

They have like 40+ classic songs and not many bands can say that.

Condemnationnnnnnnn... DriiiiiIIIIIIiiive!

EDIT:

Oh an Smashing Pumpkins totally ripped off "Barrel of a Gun" with that "Mi Amour" song. Virtually identical verses.

Just googled it and I assume you meant Ava Adore since that’s what came up. Most of the album is heavy on goth and post punk influences like Cure and Depeche.

Saw them last year. Wasn't much impressed. Disappointing considering they were a major part of my playlists as a teen. I was a gothy clubber in the day and their back beats made us look great on the dance floor.

They're old now and dark, angsty shit doesn't roll well with the over 50 sect.

Hang the hat or revamp.

Or maybe I just outgrew the darkpop synth...

Not a fan but I appreciate their music and own "Music for the Masses". I haven't heard any of their recent releases.

My two favorite songs from them. Great for the headphones.

• Like 1