Bohemian Rhapsody movie - good or bad idea?

toymaker

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.

I am looking forward to the movie but I understand your point.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews. It took something away from the movie. But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

I will reserve judgment until I see it.

Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.

I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.

I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.

Man In The Moon is brilliant.

*Flashes Baby*

Man in the Moon is the only Jim Carrey movie I can think of that I enjoyed.

Oh c'mon. "Dumb and Dumber" is a comedy classic.

My first thoughts on “comedy classics” would include This is Spinal Tap, The Party (Peter Sellers), and Animal House. Something more modern might include Friday.

The only bits I found funny in Dumb & Dumber were with Jeff Daniels. But Daniels spraying the commode with his funk just wouldn’t put it in my “comedy classic” zone.

As for other Carrey movies I’ve tried/seen...

Once Bitten: I might’ve liked that at age 13 back in ‘85 but I tried it again years later and it was pretty lame.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective: I could stand about 5 minutes before I stopped watching.

The Mask: (same as above)

Liar, Liar: a step up from the above two - I withstood 10 minutes!

The Truman Show: the concept was ok but I got bored by midpoint; not bad but I didn’t enjoy it really.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I don’t care if this has a cult following, I was bored shitless. And that’s putting it mildly.

I enjoy 'Yes Man'

Didn’t see it.

And I forgot one: How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Of course the cartoon was a million times better but Carrey wasn’t bad in it. Still, as a whole, the movie itself was pretty forgettable. In fact, I forgot most of it.

Horton is easily the best and one good one of the four Seuss movies.

Have to mention the little seen I Love You Phillip Morris. One of his better recent roles.

I don't like Biopics about people we know really well already. I find it cringeworthy watching someone who cannot come close to the original no matter what they do. This is fine if you're doing a biopic on Gengis Khan or Henry VIII because we never saw those people in person. I'd rather watch a Queen concert or a Queen interview and leave it at that.

I think back to the movie Ali, which was probably a decent movie except that I remember Ali fighting those fights and giving those interviews. It took something away from the movie. But then on the other hand, I saw Man on the Moon and at times forgot I was watching Jim Carey play Andy Kaufman.

Yeah how can Will Smith ever come close to having the charisma of someone like Ali? The answer is he can't, in fact the very idea is comical. So there was no point in that film even being made, and I didn't watch it for that reason.

Someone like Kaufman though wasn't anywhere near as well documented in the media. In fact I don't think I ever saw the real Kaufman, just the character he played in Taxi, so a movie about him makes more sense. I didn't watch that one either though, but mostly because by then I was tired of Jim Carrey's antics.

I am no fan of Jim Carrey but Man on the Moon is worth a watch. Ali, not so much.

I'll still give it a miss though, Carrey's antics have reached intolerable levels for me these days.

*Flashes Baby*

My first thoughts on “comedy classics” would include This is Spinal Tap, The Party (Peter Sellers), and Animal House. Something more modern might include Friday.

The only bits I found funny in Dumb & Dumber were with Jeff Daniels. But Daniels spraying the commode with his funk just wouldn’t put it in my “comedy classic” zone.

Once Bitten: I might’ve liked that at age 13 back in ‘85 but I tried it again years later and it was pretty lame.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective: I could stand about 5 minutes before I stopped watching.

The Truman Show: the concept was ok but I got bored by midpoint; not bad but I didn’t enjoy it really.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I don’t care if this has a cult following, I was bored shitless. And that’s putting it mildly.

I enjoy 'Yes Man'

Didn’t see it.

Of course the cartoon was a million times better but Carrey wasn’t bad in it. Still, as a whole, the movie itself was pretty forgettable. In fact, I forgot most of it.

This is the moment when Johnny Blaze finally broke down and became an old man with nothing left to give! :codger:

What do you think, Queen fans? Can you get excited about actors playing the members of Queen? Is this going to be too much information about Queen? Would you rather there be some mystery?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz5qOxttDkw

Sadly, most musical biopics kinda suck, so my sights are set low for this one.

I expect the acting to be competent, and hope the musical miming to be passable.

I also hope the dialogue isn't made out of wood. :scared:

Why are most musical biopics so lame?

Good musical biopics (where somebody portrays someone else):

Um...Ray?

Amadeus?

um...that Johnny Cash one?

the Joy Division one?

Round Midnight (although 'fiction')

I eagerly await Ent Perp's critical thesis of this movie. :yes:

• Like 1

*Flashes Baby*

I enjoy 'Yes Man'

Didn’t see it.

This is the moment when Johnny Blaze finally broke down and became an old man with nothing left to give! :codger:

It might be!

• Like 1

What do you think, Queen fans? Can you get excited about actors playing the members of Queen? Is this going to be too much information about Queen? Would you rather there be some mystery?

I expect the acting to be competent, and hope the musical miming to be passable.

Um...Ray?

Amadeus?

the Joy Division one?

I thought the Doors was solid. I see the Queen movie being similar, as I know a lot about the band, so little of the story should be surprising. But if the acting is as good as Kilmer and company did, then it will be a gun ride.

BTW, nice picks with Ray and Amadeus.

Love & Mercy (John Cusack & Paul Dano as Brian Wilson) was really good stuff. I’ve never seen a Brian Wilson interview so there’s that. But as a movie with the all important music encompassing it, it was high grade material.

Get On Up (Chadwick Boseman as James Brown) was respectable too.

• Like 2

I feel like this is likely going to be a crowd pleasing cheese fest. Mercury wasn't always the nice guy people think he was. He was an abusive lover according to reports and a couple of occurrences with him and men in his changing rooms or whatever leave me very much hating him. I've been in very bad situations with people like him and I don't doubt for a second they are true.

BUT his music is great and I'm a budding Queen fan!

• Like 1

Um...Ray?

Amadeus?

the Joy Division one?

Walk is the best of them. James Mangold is a consistently good writer director. Just saw Copland on Showtime recently which was his mainstream breakthrough and 2nd movie.

Love And Mercy another good one as well as I’m Not There.

Same man

Um...Ray?

Amadeus?

the Joy Division one?

I love Amadeus and Joy Division.

Tom Hulce is my all time fav actor besides Tom Hanks and many others.

Imo Tom plays the part well and captures the silly side of Mozart very well.

Edited by Permanent-Rush

Um...Ray?

Amadeus?

the Joy Division one?

I love Amadeus and Joy Division.

Tom Hulce is my all time fav actor besides Tom Hanks and many others.

Imo Tom plays the part well and captures the silly side of Mozart very well.

Hmmmm I quoted the wrong post.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

Same man

Well in your case you weren't alive when any of these people I mentioned were alive so for you it's a good thing maybe.

• Like 1

*Flashes Baby*

I enjoy 'Yes Man'

Didn’t see it.

I liked Truman Show. The Grinch movie is ... sadly an annual holiday film for us because my step daughters ADORE that film. So I have been subjugated to it for years. Near fact: the girl who played Cindy Lou Who grew up to be the singer of the Pretty Reckless.

• Like 1

Love & Mercy (John Cusack & Paul Dano as Brian Wilson) was really good stuff. I’ve never seen a Brian Wilson interview so there’s that. But as a movie with the all important music encompassing it, it was high grade material.

Get On Up (Chadwick Boseman as James Brown) was respectable too.

Love & Mercy was great.

• Like 3

For me, it's all going to depend on how they tell Freddie's story, and how honest and real it feels. I don't want a fluff piece. I want to see the real story of a music icon. I'll likely check it out, but I have realistic expectations.
  • Like 1

For me, it's all going to depend on how they tell Freddie's story, and how honest and real it feels. I don't want a fluff piece. I want to see the real story of a music icon. I'll likely check it out, but I have realistic expectations.

You want to see dwarves carrying trays of cocaine on their heads!

• Like 2

I hope it’s good but I’m not going to hold out too high of expectations.

Good to see you back Eagle! Welcome back to the dysfunction!

Yeah thanks! I needed a break.

• Like 1

I'm extremely excited for it still.

Although folks saying Rami Malek looks just like Freddie are pretty wrong, but he's a good actor for the role.

Now the guy playing Brian on the other hand...it's like the astrophysicist actually was aboard that spaceship in his song '39.

• Like 1

I'm extremely excited for it still.

Although folks saying Rami Malek looks just like Freddie are pretty wrong, but he's a good actor for the role.

Now the guy playing Brian on the other hand...it's like the astrophysicist actually was aboard that spaceship in his song '39.

The 2nd trailer looked pretty good.

The 1st one didn't convince me, but the 2nd made me curious.

Keep your eyes peeled for the John Deacon cameo! :LOL: :laughing guy: