Violin Rock Bands?

Justus_2112

So I'm a huge fan of rock music getting experimental. Great things happen when bands deviate from the classic guitar, bass, drums, keys, and vocal setup. I was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that has frequent use of the violin (besides Kansas), as I'm trying to find a band with such a sound to get into.

Anything helps. Thanks!

The Dave Matthews Band is one even though Boyd Tinsley is on hiatus right now from the band. I don't know if you are more into Jam Bands or not as they don't have the traditional rock sound.
  • Like 1

There was an emo band called Yellowcard in the early 2000s that had a violinist but they sucked.

I love emo and yes...you are right!

I like a couple of songs though...nostalgia

Fishermans blues by the waterboys is worth checking. Check out the title song or another titled we will not be lovers.

I like the waterboys quite a bit. The songs i mentioned featured steve wickham who also plays on u2s sunday bloody sunday.

I posted recently that charlie daniels has aged poorly imo. If you can look past that both nightrider and fire on the mtn are great southern rock records with lots of violins. Check out his biography. He has played for lots of other folks too.

• Like 1

The Dave Matthews Band is one even though Boyd Tinsley is on hiatus right now from the band. I don't know if you are more into Jam Bands or not as they don't have the traditional rock sound.

Yeah if you are into jam bands check out string cheese incident

I saw them once at a private party when they were just starting up.

Another prop for King Crimson Larks Tongues / Starless era - love the violin in one of my favorite bands.

An obscure French band (actually pretty popular in France) that includes violin is Louise Attaque - I recommend their self-titled debut (1997). They were produced by member of Violent Femmes and have a folky alternative rock sound. I kinda like them.

I like Dave Matthews (mostly for the monstrous drum grooves!) but as others mention they employ violin (though it doesn't stand out to me).

the prog band UK had some great violin work from Eddie Jobsen on Still of the Night and Danger Money (not to mention Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth, and later Terry Bozzio!)

If you're willing to go more instrumental rock-jazz- fusion side, there are some great players:

Jean Luc Ponty - I'd recommend his Imaginary Voyage or Enigmatic Ocean albums and his 1979 Live album (Live) has a fantastic violin solo which makes use of delay and is stellar

Jerry Goodman - original member of the above mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra (fusion that shreds on every instrument!!) in later years, he collaborated with the Dixie Dregs live and on a studio album. He is my favorite electric violinist - just unbelievable!

Dixie Dregs - before their work with Jerry Goodman, Allen Sloan was their violinist and has some incredible stuff. Fusion mixed with classical mixed with bluegrass. Recommend "What if" "Freefall" "Night of the Living Dregs" (just about anything they do!)

• Like 2

ELO is great but I think they are more pop than rock overall. I play their greatest hits all the time, especially when driving on a trip in the car, very infectious energy songs. Jean-Luc Ponty is a jazz fusion artist but his music really rocks at times. Here's a cool video that meshes with the music.

The latest album from Robert Plant, Carry Fire, has viola and fiddle listed as instruments on credits. Edited by custom55

Other than Kansas I definitely recommend Tracy Bonham. Definitely buy or listen to the burdens of being upright which is a classic album from the 90's.

Also: It's a beuatiful day, mahavishnu orchestra,Jean Luc Ponty, the flock, charlie Daniels band. There's also Yellow Card who are kind of an anomaly in that they are a sort of alternative/ emo band who had a violin player.

I second(emphatically)the aforementioned King Crimson also. The ones with David Cross were really great. David also has a solo career where I assume he plays violin(at least some of the time; not sure).

Edited by New_World_Man

So I'm a huge fan of rock music getting experimental. Great things happen when bands deviate from the classic guitar, bass, drums, keys, and vocal setup. I was wondering if anyone knew of any bands that has frequent use of the violin (besides Kansas), as I'm trying to find a band with such a sound to get into.

Anything helps. Thanks!

Wow!

Are you kidding?

I just saw the Dixie Dregs a few weeks ago! 40th Anniversary Tour! Original members!!!

DIXIE DREGS RULE!

• Like 1

Another prop for King Crimson Larks Tongues / Starless era - love the violin in one of my favorite bands.

An obscure French band (actually pretty popular in France) that includes violin is Louise Attaque - I recommend their self-titled debut (1997). They were produced by member of Violent Femmes and have a folky alternative rock sound. I kinda like them.

I like Dave Matthews (mostly for the monstrous drum grooves!) but as others mention they employ violin (though it doesn't stand out to me).

the prog band UK had some great violin work from Eddie Jobsen on Still of the Night and Danger Money (not to mention Bill Bruford, Allan Holdsworth, and later Terry Bozzio!)

If you're willing to go more instrumental rock-jazz- fusion side, there are some great players:

Jean Luc Ponty - I'd recommend his Imaginary Voyage or Enigmatic Ocean albums and his 1979 Live album (Live) has a fantastic violin solo which makes use of delay and is stellar

Jerry Goodman - original member of the above mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra (fusion that shreds on every instrument!!) in later years, he collaborated with the Dixie Dregs live and on a studio album. He is my favorite electric violinist - just unbelievable!

Dixie Dregs - before their work with Jerry Goodman, Allen Sloan was their violinist and has some incredible stuff. Fusion mixed with classical mixed with bluegrass. Recommend "What if" "Freefall" "Night of the Living Dregs" (just about anything they do!)

One of my best concert memories was JLP in support of Imaginary Voyage at Detroit's Fisher Theater, which was a play and musical venue. For the first two songs everyone was quiet and reserved, then at the start of the third song, like it was the signal, the audience starts sparking up.

Have a bunch of JLP including the Rhino best of comp. Live at Chene Park (Detroit, again ) another goodie.

Never saw JG live, wished I did. The It's Alive CD kills.

• Like 1