Quick Hit! Who Do You Adore The Most On Guitar? Rory Gallagher Or Stevie Ray Vaughan?

RUSHHEAD666

RORY GALLAGHER OR STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN??  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Going "Against The Grain?" "Texas Flood" Fills My "Soul To Soul" With "Pride And Joy!" "Tattoo" Time! SRV OR RORY? UGH!

• Rory Gallagher
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan

SRV.

I'm not too familiar with Rory's work tbh and SRV is in my top 5 greatest guitarists of all time (above Alex).

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 2

When Stevie came on the scene he kicked up the whole blues scene again, especially for the Texas artists. Rory's great, but never was as influential as Stevie. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 4

Rory is a really good guitarist, but Stevie Ray is a legend, and one of the only guitarists ever that could share the stage with Hendrix and not be dwarfed ..

When Stevie is mentioned, of course and understandably, his guitar playing is what is thought of first, but I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for his voice and vocal abilities ... The guy could really sing too

• Like 4

SRV

I remember watching the news when his chopper crashed and thinking what a loss... he came back sober and better than ever to end up gone. Riviera Paradise is sublime and showed what he could do.

• Like 1

SRV

I remember watching the news when his chopper crashed and thinking what a loss... he came back sober and better than ever to end up gone. Riviera Paradise is sublime and showed what he could do.

OZZY!

You just unearthed a horrible memory in my brain. Actually two dude.

I'm sure I've told these stories before but I am sure they are missed over the years.

Ok.

First story.

I was a Safeway retail food clerk for over 16 years. 1985-2002. I worked 3-midnights for 16 years. Mostly weekends. I missed so many shows in my life, alas no complaints at the end of the day.

I remember buying my Jeff Beck SRV tickets for the Oakland Arena way back when. I was so excited. It might have been the "In Step" Tour. Not sure. Anyway, I requested the day off and of course even back then Slaveway doesn't care about your social life.

I had to work 3 to midnight on that concert date. I was so pissed, I almost called in sick, but I figured that "hey what the heck, someday I will see SRV headline!!

So I worked the shift instead. Missing Jeff and Stevie. Fukking stupid.

Of course you know the history of what happened a year later.

Stevie was clean and sober. He wanted to get out of town fast and asked to use Eric Clapton's helicopter so he could bolt first.

Then by fate and melancholy fate that helicopter crashed.

So story 2.....

I remember getting into my Mustang and speeding off to Safeway the next day of the crash.

I was literally dring to work when KRQR The Rocker announced the horrific crash.

I started crying as a pulled into Safeway.

I was a fukking wreck.

As I rushed into the back room to clock in, my buddy Jon who was filling the cheese section stopped me.

He said, "Earl, are you ok? You seem very upset!" I said, "Yes Jon I just found out that Stevie Ray Vaughan died in a helicopter crash." I started to cry. Jon said, "Earl! Why are you crying? You don't even know him????"

I said, "Jon!!! I know him and love Stevie through his music! My heart is crushed!" Jon just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

Perhaps my good friend Turbine Freight is right. I do take music to seriously. That's my own demon or addiction.

I get so sad when a musician who has influenced my life passes.

Even then.

I will never change.

I know there is a lot of heartbreak ahead in 2018 and beyond. It's part of the cycle of life.

My buddy who I am seeing Wishbone Ash tomorrow with saw Sammy Hagar headline in the rain decades ago here in Northern California.

Stevie Ray was the opening act.

Sadly all of the Sammy Hagar fans threw fruit, empty bottles and beer cans at Stevie.

Makes me sick but that's life.

Another reason why I totally love and adore David Bowie.

I mean what a genius to choose Stevie to lay down the guitar tracks and solos on the legendary "Let's Dance" lp.

Tony Thompson on drums? CHIC and POWER STATION. WOW!

EPIC!!!!!!!!

Ozzy, I am very sad. I need an SRV Fix.

But come on let's just face facts. Rory is considered the "Irish Stevie Ray Vaughan." That's why I wrote this quick hit thread.

I want to got to Ireland for four things. "The Unforgettable Fire" Castle is not one of them!

1. Phil Lynott statue in Dublin

2. Rory Gallager guitar statue in the window of some cool pub.

3. Belfast- to see where the Titanic was built.

4. Belfast- to see the birthplace of Gary Moore.

I remember being with my wife and girls in Monterey California on a weekend vacation on the ocean.

My wife woke me up and told me that Gary Moore passed away.

I flipped.

No wonder she left me.

Thanks OZZY85 and TURBINE FREIGHT!

Perhaps I do have a problem.

I love rock and roll over women.

Oh well.

Could be worse right?

The Rush Forum is great therapy.

Thanks 73 for tolerating me.

Nite!

• Like 1

Hard to know what to say here...

It's a tough loss to see when someone goes out when they're just getting on top.

What could have been...? I just remember living in a redneck town (not totally a bad thing) and his new album was all over the radio. It was really good. Local bands were already playing it onstage.

Still, you appreciate what has been given to you, knowing there will be no more.

Love and learn. From anywhere.

• Like 1

SRV without a doubt. I should probably check out more of Rory's stuff.

Rory has a blistering catalog of brilliant music. Also check out the TASTE stuff. Kick ass rock and roll!!!! Rory's live stuff with Taste and is solo live albums will blow you away.

• Like 1

The awnser to this question is Vito Bratta and John Petrucci.

Nuff said

I'm in a bit of a "screw the man and f**k the rules" mood

Edited by fraroc