No bad Rush album

Fordgalaxy

I will stand by my opinion of t4e which has not changed since it came out. It's a brutal album.

Brutally good?

I really like it at first, but to my ears it hasnt aged very well in terms of songwriting. A great sounding album, though.

• Like 1

Snakes N Arrows seemed OK at first but repeated plays showed it up to be unmemorable.

That’s where I am.

I only like 4 of the 13 tracks. And those 4 aren’t blockbusters by any means.

So does not liking 9 of 13 songs constitute a bad album? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn’t say it’s an okay album either..

• Like 1

Snakes N Arrows seemed OK at first but repeated plays showed it up to be unmemorable.

That’s where I am.

So does not liking 9 of 13 songs constitute a bad album? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn’t say it’s an okay album either..

It's not just that 9 (or more) of the songs suck. It's that they drone on and on and on and never seem to end. Yeah, Neil, we know you hate religion.

Bad Rush albums?

Hold Your Fire, Counterparts, Presto, Vapor Trails for starters. Snakes N Arrows seemed OK at first but repeated plays showed it up to be unmemorable.

The metal ones are the best ones. :AlienSmiley:

As post number 86666 by you, this post has been certified as METAL! Congratulations, ducky!

• Like 1

That’s where I am.

It's not just that 9 (or more) of the songs suck. It's that they drone on and on and on and never seem to end. Yeah, Neil, we know you hate religion.

2 of those 9 I really dislike (Spindrift and Bravest Face). The other 7 are bland and some definitely do drone on.

As for the lyrics, I can ignore them for the most part but yeah I hear you.

• Like 1

Bad Rush albums?

Hold Your Fire, Counterparts, Presto, Vapor Trails for starters. Snakes N Arrows seemed OK at first but repeated plays showed it up to be unmemorable.

As post number 86666 by you, this post has been certified as METAL! Congratulations, ducky!

Nah it only looks like that because 86666 is the current post count. Which means every post looks like my 86666th post, until this one, now every post will look my 86667th post. Until my 86668th post and so on.

Bad Rush albums?

Nah it only looks like that because 86666 is the current post count. Which means every post looks like my 86666th post, until this one, now every post will look my 86667th post. Until my 86668th post and so on.

Well, the post in question was metal, so it deserved the honor.

:haz:

• Like 1

Ummmmm......Snakes was embarrassingly bad. But all great bands crap the bed once in their career. I just spray a little pet stain removal on that part of my brain once in a while and scrub. It helps, but you never really get it all up. Always there under the surface leaving just a hint of bad smell. Maybe you can't really still smell it but you know its there, so you think you can still smell it. That's Snakes.
  • Like 2

Ummmmm......Snakes was embarrassingly bad. But all great bands crap the bed once in their career. I just spray a little pet stain removal on that part of my brain once in a while and scrub. It helps, but you never really get it all up. Always there under the surface leaving just a hint of bad smell. Maybe you can't really still smell it but you know its there, so you think you can still smell it. That's Snakes.

I've definitely gotten more down on Snakes in the years since it came out but it's still got a handful of incredible songs on it. Far Cry, Armor and Sword, all three instrumentals and The Way the Wind Blows are all great.

I've definitely gotten more down on Snakes in the years since it came out but it's still got a handful of incredible songs on it. Far Cry, Armor and Sword, all three instrumentals and The Way the Wind Blows are all great.

I'd throw Working Them Angels in there, too. That's a solid 7-track album.
  • Like 1

I like S&A a lot when it was first out, but it has not aged well for me. Far Cry is such a mediocre song and it always shocks me to see it get talked up. Still not a bad album, but I would put it down there with Test for Echo and the debut as the least best ones.

So yeah, no bad albums, but a few I would label as merely solid/pretty good.

• Like 1

I will stand by my opinion of t4e which has not changed since it came out. It's a brutal album.

Brutally good?

I really like it at first, but to my ears it hasnt aged very well in terms of songwriting. A great sounding album, though.

HAAA No. It is an awful album. Production wise it may be the greatest album of all time but I wouldn't know because I can't listen to it.

Lotta dislike for SNA from you guys. Honestly there a re a few duds on there, but my only REAL problem with it (unrelated to the actual album itself) was that they beat the piss out of it on the tour. That actually soured me on the album for a while.

Brutally good?

HAAA No. It is an awful album. Production wise it may be the greatest album of all time but I wouldn't know because I can't listen to it.

I agree. Test for Echo is one of their best-sounding albums but the songs aren't there.

• Like 1

Brutally good?

I agree. Test for Echo is one of their best-sounding albums but the songs aren't there.

Funny cause SnA has the same issue - great production, but the songs aren't there. I think T4E suffers from a lack of energy and enthusiasm. It feels very workmanlike. I think that can be attributed to Alex, who admitted he wasn't into the album, having just come off Victor and wanting to do more of that.

• Like 1

Brutally good?

Funny cause SnA has the same issue - great production, but the songs aren't there. I think T4E suffers from a lack of energy and enthusiasm. It feels very workmanlike. I think that can be attributed to Alex, who admitted he wasn't into the album, having just come off Victor and wanting to do more of that.

S&A is also one of their weaker albums in the songwriting department but I count several more highlights on that one than on TFE. The latter basically just has "Driven" and "Resist" that I'd put up there with their best stuff.

• Like 2

"Bad"? I don't know but I can't listen to most of Presto or Counterparts, and about half of RtB. And I've tried. Edited by Rutlefan

All the albums are top shelf. Even hyf and sna. Today I played caress on a car trip and felt so proud that I discovered this band. All the albums are unique. Random listening to signals or fly make me drop my jaw. They aren’t a normal rock band. Their geniuses and I think they balance each other. I also think ca ranks up with the first 7 albums.

Agreed with it all except the part about SnA being top shelf. It's the only Rush album I actively avoid, with the exception of about 4 songs. Well, and about 1/2 of Roll the Bones.

The only thing top shelf about Snakes is where it should be stored, far out of reach for even a drunken play.

Which is kind of a catch 22, the only time you'd want to play it is if you were in a drunken stupor, and that's the time you'd be most at risk from a nasty fall trying to reach it. Which might still be better than listening to it, it's not even "bar good".

And yes I know it's not an example of a catch 22, but whatever.

• Like 2

While I do believe the '90s was the "weakest" part of their career by a lot, it still had the fantastic album "Counterparts", and a ton of good songs, so I can't be bothered by that era too much. I think they went down a less exciting and creative direction (IMO), and some didn't like it. I would say it's their least interesting time, personally.

I don't love all the albums, but it's tough to call any of their albums "bad." Are there some weak(er) ones in the bunch? Oh yes. I have 3-4 personally that I would probably rank at or near the bottom. But Rush is still Rush. And that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Brutally good?

S&A is also one of their weaker albums in the songwriting department but I count several more highlights on that one than on TFE. The latter basically just has "Driven" and "Resist" that I'd put up there with their best stuff.

Driven definitively is a classic.

• Like 1

I can find something inspiring on every Rush album apart from what I call the Yin and Yang albums; Counterparts and T4E.

Animate

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Driven

Resist

My top picks anyway...I quite like Counterparts (Cold Fire and Everyday Glory are in my top ten).

• Like 2

I've always thought that one of Rush's most remarkable characteristics was their consistently good quality. I think the average quality of their product's sum total is higher than just about any other music entity. I might score the high moments of Spock's Beard's, Dream Theater's or Porcupine Tree's/Steven Wilson's catalog higher than Rush's highest moments, but Rush is consistently great enough that Rush's average and lowest points are higher than most other musicians. I thoroughly enjoy every Rush song, and every Rush album, but I can't say the same for SB, DT, or PT, even though there are a few SB / DT / PT songs that I like better than the best Rush songs.

Just the fact that every Rush song and album, over their 40 year career, is at least pretty good, even when their total catalog is rich with breadth, variety, and experimentation, that seems rare and amazing. They can be harsh and dissonant, they can be beautiful and melodic, they can be everywhere in between, and they keep me engaged the entire time. Their full discography could be the combined product of a heaping handful of completely different bands, and yet it's all void of glaring flaws.

• Like 2