Complete RUSH Discography Artwork

diatribein

One of the things that is really meaningful to me is to have high quality artwork for my flac files on my music player. I also like to attach the artwork for singles if there was any created. Often the more rare artwork is difficult to find or in low quality. Below I have posted all of the artwork I have acumulated over the years for RUSH. It is a mix of web-finds in the best quality available and personal scans. I will post some notes as a reply on this thread. Enjoy!

01. Not Fade Away

02. You Can't Fight It

03. Rush

04. ABC 1974

05. Fly By Night

06. Fly By Night Single

07. Caress Of Steel

08. 2112

09. All The World's A Stage

10. Making Memories

11. A Farewell To Kings

12. Closer To The Heart

13. Hemispheres

14. The Trees / Circumstances

15. Permanent Waves

16. Spirit Of Radio

17. Entre Nous

18. Moving Pictures

19. Vital Signs

20. Tom Sawyer

21. Exit... Stage Left

22. RUSH Live! Tom Sawyer • Red Barchetta • A Passage To Bangkok

23. Closer To The Heart • The Trees Live

24. Signals

25. New World Man

26. Subdivisions

27. Countdown

28. Grace Under Pressure

29. The Body Electric

30. The Body Electric UK

31. Red Sector A

32. Power Windows

33. The Big Money

34. The Big Money UK

35. Mystic Rhythms

36. Hold Your Fire

37. Time Stand Still

38. Time Stand Still EU CDSingle

39. Prime Mover

40. A Show Of Hands

41. Closer To The Heart Live

42. Presto

43. Show Don't Tell

44. The Pass

45. Chronicles

46. Roll The Bones

47. Dreamline

48. Roll The Bones Single

49. Ghost Of A Chance

50. Counterparts

51. Stick It Out

52. Nobody's Hero

53. Double Agent

54. Alex Lifeson - Victor

55. Test For Echo

56. Test For Echo Single

57. Half The World

58. Different Stages

59. Retrospective I

60. Retrospective II

61. Geddy Lee - My Favourite Headache

62. Vapor Trails

63. One Little Victory

64. Secret Touch

65. Sweet Miracle

66. Rush In Rio

67. Feedback

68. Summertime Blues

69. R30

70. Snakes & Arrows

71. Far Cry

72. Workin' Them Angels

73. Snakes & Arrows Live

74. Retrospective III

75. Working Men

76. Time Machine

77. Caravan • BU2B

78. Headlong Flight

79. Clockwork Angels

80. Clockwork Angels Vinyl

81. The Wreckers

82. The Anarchist

83. The Garden

84. Vapor Trails Remixed

85. Clockwork Angels Tour

86. R40 Live

87. The Twilight Zone

88. Cygnus X-1 Book I

89. Cygnus X-1 Book II

90. Closer To The Heart RSD Single

Credit:

3, 4, 7, 8, 13, 36, 54, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68, 76, 82, 83, 87, 88. 89 scans by http://www.cygnus-x1.net

15, 16, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 55, 56, 57, 58, 61, 62, 70, 77, 81, 84, 90 scans by diatribein

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 9

Notes:

I try to use the original release artwork from Canada first. This is the reason why Fly By Night is Mercury branded rather than Anthem (for example), because it was first released on Mercury in Canada. If you notice, Grace Under Pressure also has the blue tinted clouds rather than the darker brown clouds from the remasters. This is the original hue for the artwork! For singles my personal use priority is 1. Canada, 2. UK, 3. Other Territories. Many singles are as small as 800X800 pixels because that is the largest I can find on the internet and I do not personally own them. I am actively looking for those singles, so if you have singles in your collection and want to sell them (or doubles/extras) I would be happy to pay fair market value for them (last ebay sell price for example). I promise that I will scan, fix and upload any of the singles I am missing if they come in. The work I have done to fix some of these is really quite a lot. Take a look at my Subdivisions single and my Closer To The Heart Live single. Neither are in fantastic condition. If you would like me to do the same work on one of the singles I only have as 800X800 webfinds, please feel free to PM me with 600 dpi raw scans. I'll fix them up for free and either give you exclusive access to the fixed images or post them here with your permission.

Most of my scans are 600 dpi. There are a couple that I did quite a while ago (Ghost Of A Chance for example) when I was using an older scanner at 300 dpi. If I have not updated these lower quality scans it is because I felt like they were excellent already and did not warrant the extra work. Originally I had planned to cap all scans at 3000X3000 pixels because CDs at 600 dpi are usually 2800X2800 pixels, but I found that when viewed on smaller screens, like my player, the reduced to 3000X3000 pixel scans were getting patterns (lines/squares, colour waves). I fixed most of the singles that were having problems by leaving them at 4000X4000 pixels (7" Singles tend to be 4200X4200 at 600 dpi). Some images still had patterns even when left at large sizes. For those singles I used a little Gaussian blur to fix the issues. I have not tested all of the images on my player. I only test the ones I am using, which is a little over two thirds of these. If you are having problems, I recommend using image editing software's Gaussian blur tool. I do not have time to further edit these images. There is nothing actually wrong with them. These type of issues arise from how different software scales the image for your display.

Test For Echo Singles: Yes I realize that these two singles had no artwork. Both of these are personal designs based on the artwork contained within the album sleeve. To be fair, the Test For Echo promo single is a picture CD with the image I used. The reason why I did this is because all the other albums from that era have picture sleeve singles, even if they were only released as promos. The reason why I stopped after two singles is because most of the albums only have two and the artwork for Driven & Virtuality is a little more difficult to make a nice square single image out of. Also these two songs were the first two singles, so in my mind they are the most important. Please refrain from Test For Echo bashing on this thread. This is not the place for it. If you don't like/need these images, just don't use them.

I suspect that Workin' Them Angels is also a fan creation. I did NOT make this one. I found it years ago. I have no idea where, so I do not know who to credit. Either way, I liked it a lot and always use it for my Workin' Them Angels promo single. I wish I had a larger version of it!

I use the Cassette Single of The Pass. Although the promo CD image is larger, it is in Black & White. It also isn't any wider than the Cassette Single, It is just more zoomed in. I usually prefer commercial single sleeves over promos when they exit. Although it should be noted that for the same album I used the promo version of Show Don't Tell because the commercial Cassette Single is just a crop of the album cover. Similarly, I have the Master Edit Version of Nobody's Hero and it is slightly different to the full track promo released earlier. I didn't find it different enough to do the work to scan it, mostly because I am not the biggest fan of the edit and the background colour variation is the only notable difference.

Compilations & Live albums: I included (only as best quality webfinds) some compilations, but not ones that I felt were not of any real use to Rush fans. Retrospective III in particular has two remixes that are exclusive to that release, so I deemed it worthy. I included all of the official Rush sanctioned live albums but avoided European grey market releases except for ABC 1974. The reason why I included the artwork for that release is because of the two exclusive tracks. None of the other Grey Market and Bootleg live albums have exclusive tracks.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

Awesome work. I'm going to replace mine with some of these.

What about the Hammersmith Odeon bonus disc of Different Stages?

I have it. I never thought to scan it though. I guess I just thought of it being part of Different Stages.

• Like 2

I have it. I never thought to scan it though. I guess I just thought of it being part of Different Stages.

Fair enough. I have them as two separate things in my iTunes, since the first two discs are approximating a mid-90s show and the third disc is an unrelated show from the 70s.

• Like 1

Interesting that the fly by night artwork has a bald eagle instead of the owl

I think it is because it is a Dutch single and the record label in Europe would probably not have differentiated a relatively unknown band imported from North America as being Canadian rather than American. Singles in mainland Europe from the 70s almost all had unique picture sleeves and this one was probably hastily thrown together. So a bald eagle would have made sense to whomever designed this as anything else for a song called "Fly By Night". These were the days before Hugh Syme. But honestly, I'm just guessing, I don't actually know!

• Like 1

Interesting that the fly by night artwork has a bald eagle instead of the owl

I think it is because it is a Dutch single and the record label in Europe would probably not have differentiated a relatively unknown band imported from North America as being Canadian rather than American. Singles in mainland Europe from the 70s almost all had unique picture sleeves and this one was probably hastily thrown together. So a bald eagle would have made sense to whomever designed this as anything else for a song called "Fly By Night". These were the days before Hugh Syme. But honestly, I'm just guessing, I don't actually know!

Yeah it was 70's so after some more thought they realized another species was more well known for flying at night.

Anyways from a trivia standpoint i followed up on the fbn artist. Eraldo Carugati

He also did the kiss solo record covers.

Have to admit it's pretty cool to thumb through the box when trying to pull something out for a listen although the CD Single box dosen't have as much in the way of art as the vinyl boxes do.

#10 is interesting.

Making memories and temple of syrinx.

What the hell does 2112 band II mean?

Secondly its dated 1975 when 2112 came out in 1976?

It means second song in the suite on the vinyl record.

Making Memories is from 1975 and it's the A side of that single. Oddly enough, this single was released in 1977 when Anthem was born.

• Like 2

#10 is interesting.

Making Memories is from 1975 and it's the A side of that single. Oddly enough, this single was released in 1977 when Anthem was born.

Thank you. Oddly enough is right.

#10 is interesting.

And this is why it appears between All The World's A Stage & A Farewell To Kings on my list, because that is when it was released. The only thing I really put out of place was ABC 1974, because the recording belongs between the 1st Album & Fly By Night. The actual release is quite recent. It is essentially a grey market bootleg, so the official release date is meaningless.

#10 is interesting.

And this is why it appears between All The World's A Stage & A Farewell To Kings on my list, because that is when it was released. The only thing I really put out of place was ABC 1974, because the recording belongs between the 1st Album & Fly By Night. The actual release is quite recent. It is essentially a grey market bootleg, so the official release date is meaningless.

The ABC recording in one form or another has been around since at least the mid-'80s.as a bootleg. Back then it was called Stellar Dynamics and had a Black Starfish on the cover for some reason.

Does your collection of album artwork only include the front cover or do you have the complete artwork for each album? I am asking because I have been looking for the bonus disc 3 b&w sleeve art from Different Stages. Mine was damaged and I have been thinking of some way to replace it. If you have the artwork I should be able to copy it and make a replacement sleeve. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

diatribein, I appreciate the work you've put into this! I'm a huge album art nerd myself, I've put a lot of work into getting the highest possible quality images of the studio album covers. In most cases, I've scanned or photographed my own vinyl versions, and then retouched them to clean up any wear marks.

For example, here's Power Windows for you. I've never found a decent scan of this cover anywhere on the internet, all of them have terrible moire issues in the title because of the narrow bands used for the lettering. Hell, even the official CD releases of PoW look like shit!

PW-1500.jpg

Edited by Rush Didact

I have just one request to everyone: PLEASE DO NOT REPOST ANY OF MY SCANS TO ALBUM ART EXCHANGE.

The guy who runs AAE is a paranoid dickhead who disabled my account and blocked my IP because he claims I was using a VPN to access the site. I was not. I was a user in good standing there for ten years, including donating money to help cover server costs, and he treated me like shit.

Unfortunately, I have no way of logging back in to delete the artwork that I'd uploaded there over the years. So, at the very least, I'd rather not allow any more of my work to end up there.

• Like 1