Issues with Home Theater System

Principled Man

I upgraded my Home Theater system last year, but for the past couple of months, it's been malfunctioning.

I have a Denon Receiver and a Sony Bravia 4K HDTV. I have a Charter cable box/DVR and a Sony Blu-ray connected to the Denon. Everything goes to the Denon Receiver first, then to the TV.

At random times, every few days or so, the TV picture goes out, but the audio stays on. The TV is powered on, but the screen is black. I turn everything off, then turn it all back on, and everything is fine again.

What's the deal?! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Like 1-0-0-1 asked, when exactly does this happen? TV, DVR, Blu-ray?

Also, one at a time - please unplug and re-plug Every hdmi cable, from both ends (in & out). Make sure they are seated properly.

It is probably the Sony BluRay. I’d switch it off completely or even unplug it when not in use.

Do you have the Blu-ray connected to the Internet? Could be performing updates in the background.

I just got a Denon receiver a few months back.

Does the picture go out no matter what you're watching? TV or Blu-ray?

It happens at anytime. When I'm just watching TV, or at any other time. When it does happen, I turn it off, then on again, and the picture stays on after that.

I strongly suspect that it's the Denon receiver. I'm going to contact them about it.

It is probably the Sony BluRay. I’d switch it off completely or even unplug it when not in use.

Do you have the Blu-ray connected to the Internet? Could be performing updates in the background.

I don't think it's the Blu-ray, as the problem still occurs when the unit is off. It usually happens when I'm watching TV.

I just got a Denon receiver a few months back.

Does the picture go out no matter what you're watching? TV or Blu-ray?

It happens at anytime. When I'm just watching TV, or at any other time. When it does happen, I turn it off, then on again, and the picture stays on after that.

I strongly suspect that it's the Denon receiver. I'm going to contact them about it.

I don't think it's the Blu-ray, as the problem still occurs when the unit is off. It usually happens when I'm watching TV.

The next thing for you to try is bypassing the receiver. I assume you're using HDMI cables in and out of the Denon? Try hooking the cable box straight into the TV, using the same input on the TV that you're using now.

The receiver could be at fault, or the cable box/satellite receiver or whatever you have, or even an HDMI cable. There's a bunch of things to do to narrow it down, so be patient and we'll get there.

• Like 1

The Denon could need a firmware update.

Could be a HDMI handshake issue.

Do you have Netflix on your BluRay?

Found this

TV set top box/satellite users please note

When using the digital audio output on a TV/satellite box:

To play the video signal assigned to “HDMI” combined with the audio signal assigned at “Input Assign” - “DIGITAL”, you will also need to select “Digital” in the “Input Mode”.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

The Denon could need a firmware update.

Could be a HDMI handshake issue.

Do you have Netflix on your BluRay?

Found this

TV set top box/satellite users please note

When using the digital audio output on a TV/satellite box:

To play the video signal assigned to “HDMI” combined with the audio signal assigned at “Input Assign” - “DIGITAL”, you will also need to select “Digital” in the “Input Mode”.

I'll check that out. Thanks! :ebert: