Lost in Vegas (reaction to) The Spirit of Radio

treeduck

Beat me to it dude. Was gonna post it.

They're losing their luster. Cutting the songs the way they are takes away from the product in the end. I love these guys though. Cool to see them getting off on our favorite band...is it not?

• Like 5

I've only seen the Rush ones. Are they this positive about everything they review? Loving their enthusiasm for TSOR!

NO they are not positive on every one. They show an apprecitiation for the effort, but have no problem in saying if the song doesn't make their playlist. See Dream Theater
  • Like 4

Beat me to it dude. Was gonna post it.

They're losing their luster. Cutting the songs the way they are takes away from the product in the end. I love these guys though. Cool to see them getting off on our favorite band...is it not?

Yeah I think since they got a bit bigger with more views and more attention the powers that be cracked down a bit and so they had to play less of the songs or get shut down by youtube.

• Like 2

I've only seen the Rush ones. Are they this positive about everything they review? Loving their enthusiasm for TSOR!

NO they are not positive on every one. They show an apprecitiation for the effort, but have no problem in saying if the song doesn't make their playlist. See Dream Theater

They didn't like Mastodon much either.

• Like 1

Which song did they do?

Also Slayer

• Like 1

Which song did they do?

Blood and Thunder and then later Oblivion. I've not watched the Oblivion one yet though.

• Like 1

I think what I like so much about these videos is that these guys don't come from a rock background. If you look at their older videos, it's mostly all rap until they start branching out into other genres and start reviewing rock and country songs. People like us who post on Rush forums can kind of get into our own bubble sometimes, so it's cool to hear what people who come from a different background and have a totally different perspective on them think.
  • Like 6

I have always found reaction videos boring and irrelevant because watching someone else do something I would rather do myself seems odd.

But I was hooked on these guys when someone here posted the Megadeth Holy Wars reaction.

I find that I learn more about music appreciation from people who are foreign to songs I like. I find myself realizing new aspects of a song I know. I look at music differently.

I explore all sorts of music from all over the world because it's so important to me, but I never realized that someone else's take could matter so much. But watching other people react to music intelligently (or at times deconstruct it) has made me a better music fan.

It doesn't change what I like, but it gains me access points to music I may otherwise not have had. And I like 'getting it'. So even as broad as my taste is now, I feel these guys may have helped me broaden further. Even though I already know much of what they reviewed.

• Like 5

Megadave never gave them swag.

Metallica never gave them swag.

Rush gave them free vinyl, CD, DVD, and a drumhead, and they're the kind of guys who will take that stuff and raffle it off to Rush fans.

This is the humanity I signed up for. Other bands gotta step up to the plate.

• Like 4

I think what I like so much about these videos is that these guys don't come from a rock background. If you look at their older videos, it's mostly all rap until they start branching out into other genres and start reviewing rock and country songs. People like us who post on Rush forums can kind of get into our own bubble sometimes, so it's cool to hear what people who come from a different background and have a totally different perspective on them think.

I totally agree man!!

Also Slayer

Honestly I am not big on Slayer ether. They are coming here on there final tour but count me out, i'd only go for Anthrax tbh.

• Like 1

Rush gave them free vinyl, CD, DVD, and a drumhead, and they're the kind of guys who will take that stuff and raffle it off to Rush fans.

Wait, bands need to give some guys on YouTube free stuff just because they dig some songs from them? I don't see why that should be the case. If they like it then go buy the albums/singles themselves just like any other fan should.

• Like 1

They did two Slayer songs: Raining Blood and Seasons in the Abyss. They did not particularly like Raining Blood but they did respect the musicianship. However, they dog the groove of Seasons.

One song they didn't like was Anthrax--Caught in a Mosh, as they felt it was too chaotic.

They also weren't thrilled with Metropolis by Dream Theater, a song they felt the band was trying to do too many things with during the instrumental section.

One thing that seems to be a common thread is that these guys tend to like songs with easily identifiable grooves. Those tend to be the songs that make the playlist.

• Like 1

Wait, bands need to give some guys on YouTube free stuff just because they dig some songs from them? I don't see why that should be the case. If they like it then go buy the albums/singles themselves just like any other fan should.

It's how promotion works these days, although these guys probably didn't sit around going "How do we get free Rush stuff?" I have a friend on Instagram who liked and brand named a puppy collar that she paid actual money for. The free dog stuff started flowing in from other companies. She has more than she knows what to do with (not really, she gives it away.). But I think companies don't want to be left behind on social media.

Long but interesting article about how reviewing mattresses leads to getting lots of free mattresses! https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

• Like 2

No, it's just a really nice gesture. I would never have expected any band to do that, and I'm so proud of the fact that Rush (or their management I guess) were the band to do something like that. I don't mean literally other bands must do the same thing, probably Lost In Vegas would get old pretty quick if they started off every video giving out free swag, but I am saying it really says something about Rush's identity (even extending into their management) that they would do something that nice, and that other bands could do well to make similar such gestures. Not necessarily giving swag to Lost In Vegas, since that's been done now, but just being more gracious and generous.

• Like 4

Did you even watch the video? They never asked for or expected anything from anyone. Someone that works for Rush contacted them and gave them the stuff. It is the first time anyone has contacted them and given them props and gifts for what they are doing. It was a very smart move for Rush as these guys have a very diverse following and that is the best advertising that Rush can get right now, Your post comes across as childish with a touch of hatred. Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

Did you even watch the video? They never asked for or expected anything from anyone. Someone that works for Rush contacted them and gave them the stuff. It is the first time anyone has contacted them and given them props and gifts for what they are doing. It was a very smart move for Rush as these guys have a very diverse following and that is the best advertising that Rush can get right now, Your post comes across as childish with a touch of hatred.

Well, childish is pushing it, but I agree with most of what you say here.

• Like 1

Did you even watch the video? They never asked for or expected anything from anyone. Someone that works for Rush contacted them and gave them the stuff. It is the first time anyone has contacted them and given them props and gifts for what they are doing. It was a very smart move for Rush as these guys have a very diverse following and that is the best adverting they cab get right now, Your post comes across as childish with a touch of hatred.

That's how it comes off? That's certainly not where I was coming from. I didn't watch this video, their constant pausing of the songs has started to irritate me over the last few months. Although I do get why they do it. I've seen enough of their videos to know that they would never ask any of the bands for free stuff. I just took issue with what Entre said about other bands needing to step up and do nice things like that. This was obviously a very nice gesture from Rush but other bands shouldn't start doing it as well.

I know there's been a number of bands who have contacted them on social media and showed them love for giving their songs good reviews. But this gesture from Rush is certainly on a different level than that.

• Like 3