Why does Neil have to perform for it to be "RUSH"

Huge Ackman

If RUSH DID continue, some fans would comment that the band isn't up to par.

This would put additional pressure on the band to perform beyond their mental and physical capabilities, which would result in burnout at their age and beyond.

To quote The Clash:

Should I stay or should I go now?

If I go, there will be trouble

And if I stay it will be double

So come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go

To quote Neil:

The drummer slows his frantic pace

In pain and desperation

His aching limbs and downcast face

Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, his arms on fire

With just the briefest pause

The flooding through his memory

The echoes of old applause

He limps across the floor

And closes his dressing room door...

Suck it up, Pussy. Get back out there.

• Like 1

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

They weren't any worse......the debut is by no means their poorest album.

To my ears, the debut is amongst their best albums.
  • Like 1

This would put additional pressure on the band to perform beyond their mental and physical capabilities, which would result in burnout at their age and beyond.

To quote The Clash:

Don't dream...it's over - Crowded House

Some cannot accept that it's over and there's others who would criticize the band in every way for continuing...examples: concert DVD isn't great, sound on studio album isn't great, Geddy's voice is shot, Alex's subpar guitar playing because he fluffed notes and/or chords, Neil didn't catch a stick and/or missed that beat. It's done.

In a perfect world, I wish every single RUSH fan alive and/or dead would be satisfied that the band is done and quit posting unrealistic wishes that the band should continue or not.

If I was an admin or moderator, thread posts like this wouldn't even get off the ground. They would be shut down.

I recommend reading about 'radical acceptance' in relation to this thread.

Fortunately you aren’t an admin or moderator and free, off message speech, can take place.

Band message boards thrive on positive and negative comparisons and posts. If you want a Rush circle jerk create your own board.

You do some good work digging out interesting snippets, clips and articles of the band but you do it in such a po-faced manner that one almost wishes you didn’t.

The band lasted all that time because it did not take itself too seriously. You would be well served to remember that.

• Like 6

To quote The Clash:

Some cannot accept that it's over and there's others who would criticize the band in every way for continuing...examples: concert DVD isn't great, sound on studio album isn't great, Geddy's voice is shot, Alex's subpar guitar playing because he fluffed notes and/or chords, Neil didn't catch a stick and/or missed that beat. It's done.

In a perfect world, I wish every single RUSH fan alive and/or dead would be satisfied that the band is done and quit posting unrealistic wishes that the band should continue or not.

If I was an admin or moderator, thread posts like this wouldn't even get off the ground. They would be shut down.

f**k you Rudy Jr....

• Like 1

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

Never said it was.

But "any worse?" So you would place the debut alongside PeW or MP in terms of quality?

;)

Never said it was.

But "any worse?" So you would place the debut alongside PeW or MP in terms of quality?

I would put it pretty close in what gives pleasure to my ears.

;)

Never said it was.

"Pretty close" would still make them "worse" with Rutsey though, even if not much.

To quote The Clash:

As an admin or moderator you'd quash threads you weren't okay with? Sort of like a previous message board that no longer exists because the administrators and his henchwomen banned almost everyone and it died. I, and I think the vast majority of the other members here, are completely ok with the many and varied opinions expressed. Not being a cloying fanboy is a good thing as is having opinions that don't meet with your approval.

Would you also edit or delete threads or posts that stated certain Rush songs or albums weren't that good? What about threads that were critical of Geddy's failing voice or Alex's bad toupée? What about saying something about how bad the Blue Jays are? What is your threshold?

As someone else said, if you want to be part of a fawning, Rush can do no wrong message board, maybe start you own.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 1

;)

Never said it was.

"Pretty close" would still make them "worse" with Rutsey though, even if not much.

Not worse, different.
  • Like 2

;)

:yes: Alex and Ged were on fire!
  • Like 3

;)

The lyrics were so deep and erudite.

"Well, you think that you're right

Tell me something, mister

Why'd you have to make us so uptight?"

• Like 1

I would prefer they called it something else, but if they called it Rush I would go see them. It’s not like Neil died. He basically retired/quit when Alex and Geddy wanted to keep going. If Alex and Geddy still want to make music together then get another drummer, call it whatever the heck you want, put out an album, and tour.
  • Like 2

;)

Almost as bad as the lyrics to Half the World, with zero percent of the effort and pseudo profundity.

;)

Made up on the spot, legend has it. That some of the latter lyrics resulted from great pondering is a bit of a cringer.

That's probably why you aren't an admin or moderator......

• Like 2

;)

Never said it was.

No I wouldn't, but it is at least mid-table, and a hell of a lot better than anything post-1987

• Like 3

;)

Who do you think you are?

You think you are a star?

Tryin' to run the town

Always tryin' to put us down

As an old school fanboi i love the debut and love and or accept the lyrics for what they are.

Young dudes trying to make a record other young dudes could relate to.

• Like 1