Why does Neil have to perform for it to be "RUSH"

Huge Ackman

What if Neil wrote lyrics and composed drum parts. Then, a drummer of his choosing filled his seat for live performances along with Alex and Geddy. Is live performance what makes a band or is it the music they create?

I say that RUSH can live on with Neil as a contributing member, just not a live performer if they decide to take a show on the road again.

• Like 3

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

• Like 2

Because the majority of Rush fans are more passionate about Rush than your average fan is about their favorite band, and the majority of those die-hard Rush fans would feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if the band were to continue on without any one of its three members as they've known the band only as Geddy, Alex, and Neil for over forty years. Not to mention Rush have stated multiple times that Rush is only those three, and replacements are out of the question.

Fans would not have it, the band have always said it wouldn't happen. There's no good reason for it to happen. They gave us forty years of their lives with barely a moment of rest aside from Neil's brief personal retreat. How is that not enough?

Fans would absolutely have it. You included. You're honestly telling me if Rush comes to your area, you're staying home because of the drummer? No. You'll be there with everyone else. I'm hoping for Peter Criss myself, in full makeup.

Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

no you are wrong ... there are actually probably more special than any of their fans even have the ability to understand the word special

• Like 2

Why would anyone want this? There's so many incredible bands out there making music and touring, go spend your money on them instead.

No there aren't. Rush was the only one. I'm hoping for Tommy Lee, myself. With full flipping drum kit.

• Like 1

He doesn't. How many people have been in Yes and they still go by that name. Rush isn't any more special than any other band regardless of what some of their fans think.

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

• Like 2

Their last few albums had brilliant parts but were messy and incoherent as a whole. Who would want anything new like that again? Neil's playing style was causing him pain. Why would anyone want Neil to be in pain or do something he just doesn't want to do anymore?

As for Ged and Alex to perform with another drummer on the road as Rush. Well they said they didn't want to do that. Until they do we all should respect that...

• Like 4

It’s different because I prefer Yes with Rabin, Sabbath with Dio and Purple with Coverdale. Rush wasn’t better with Rutsey. See?

;)

Well, the first album was better than anything from 1985 through whenever VT came out (or arguably CA)

• Like 2

Their last few albums had brilliant parts but were messy and incoherent as a whole. Who would want anything new like that again? Neil's playing style was causing him pain. Why would anyone want Neil to be in pain or do something he just doesn't want to do anymore?

As for Ged and Alex to perform with another drummer on the road as Rush. Well they said they didn't want to do that. Until they do we all should respect that...

I think Ged and Al have no problem replacing Neil. Its the legal business stuff they have to work out. I'm hoping for Dave Grohl myself.

• Like 2

I was actually serious when I posted this. It seems that Neil writing lyrics and composing drum parts would be a good way to compromise the band's ideal that there is no RUSH without all three members and an all-out retirement from making music. Touring is just one part of a ban'd's life. Why can't the three founders account for creation of ALL of the music but a sit-in do the mundane task of performing live. It seems logical to me to consider; if they can figure it out, here is my vote for the replacement touring drummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eooJYess3nc

Edited by Huge Ackman
  • Like 3

I can accept they are retired. I can't accept the way they retired. I mean, I have to...just will never be happy about it. The way, not that they are.
  • Like 6

;)

Well, the first album was better than anything from 1985 through whenever VT came out (or arguably CA)

I like it better than VT. Not S&A or CA though.

Do you have any way to quantify that? (I know you don't, just trying to make a point). There are rabid fans of man, many bands and solo artists. For you to think many Rush fans are more so, indicates your fanboiness. Just as with Rush, there are fans of KISS, Aerosmith, etc, who travel to see multiple shows. When I was in the military, I knew a guy who had been to every Blue Oyster Cult show in the USA (this was in the early 80s). Don't think Rush fans are any more special than any other hard core fans because they aren't.

Do you have any way to quantify that? (I know you don't, just trying to make a point). There are rabid fans of man, many bands and solo artists. For you to think many Rush fans are more so, indicates your fanboiness. Just as with Rush, there are fans of KISS, Aerosmith, etc, who travel to see multiple shows. When I was in the military, I knew a guy who had been to every Blue Oyster Cult show in the USA (this was in the early 80s). Don't think Rush fans are any more special than any other hard core fans because they aren't.

It's well known that Rush is the biggest cult band in the world and has been for most of their career. They became one of rock and roll's most essential bands without a fraction of the radio play Aerosmith, BOC, and probably even KISS received. This was because of two factors: a relentless work ethic by the band, and the most dedicated fanbase in the world. Rush achieved incredible success not by breaking through to the mainstream, but by maintaining and growing a grassroots fanbase that was made up almost entirely of die hard fans who supported the band through anything, even if they didn't like the musical direction they took in the 80s, 90s, or 00's, they'd still go see every show they could. There's no other band who's ever been as successful as Rush and had less support from the radio, the press, the critics, and the charts combined. There are rabid fans of plenty of other bands, but those fans usually comprise a minority of those bands' fanbases. Rush fans on the whole tend to be much more rabid than other fans.

And so I say again, one thing that the die hard fanbase, which is the majority of the fanbase, has said for years is that Rush is Alex, Geddy, and Neil, and no one else. The amount of respect that many fans have for the band simply for keeping that exact same lineup from 1975 to 2015 is tremendous. That's not something that you ignore as the artist, especially not as artists who care as much about their fans as the guys in Rush. Few bands have been more vocally grateful for their fanbase than Rush. Add that to the fact that they've stated many times that they agree Rush is only the three of them, and there you have it. There is no Rush without Geddy, Alex, and Neil. If Dirk and Lerxt want to form Leefson and do a tour and play a bunch of Rush tunes with a new drummer, I'm cool with it, but they can't call it Rush. That would be cripplingly disrespectful.

• Like 3

;)

I like it better than VT. Not S&A or CA though.

CA>VT>s/t>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>collection of Neil's sermonettes

Edited by laughedatbytime

I was actually serious when I posted this. It seems that Neil writing lyrics and composing drum parts would be a good way to compromise the band's ideal that there is no RUSH without all three members and an all-out retirement from making music. Touring is just one part of a ban'd's life. Why can't the three founders account for creation of ALL of the music but a sit-in do the mundane task of performing live. It seems logical to me to consider; if they can figure it out, her is my vote for the replacement touring drummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eooJYess3nc

They said they wouldn't, and they're very likely not monitoring this board for ideas on how to continue Rush without Neil doing anything he doesn't want to do. Also they said they wouldn't. i'm sorry dude, but that is your answer.

• Like 1

Fans would absolutely have it. You included. You're honestly telling me if Rush comes to your area, you're staying home because of the drummer? No. You'll be there with everyone else. I'm hoping for Peter Criss myself, in full makeup.

Geddy and Alex aren't Rush. Your question is illogical.

Neil's importance in the band is a matter of opinion, plain and simple

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2014/07/Rush-with-John-Rutsey.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this is fact^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^