Is it wrong to be upset with RUSH for not making a new album

Rush1978

My favorite comedian of all time!

mine too.

and Everybody just one sec.

i appreciate all the defense i got in this thread. it warms me.

but me and 1978 are cool.

he needs to stop drunk posting though, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Judging by the old posts Segue's bringing up, he's gonna be in for a surprise when he reads the part where 1978 apologizes.

That doesn't seem to have changed his arguing over who's a true Rush fan though. Dude, we had this conversation already like two nights ago. Respect people's opinions or don't respond.

Sob stories always seem to be used as an excuse to get away with Mick-bashing.

Not having it.

Mick did, but that's fair. He's back at it again tonight so I'm not sure that apology really had an effect on him.

Had a feeling the "apology" was phony. I think we need the troll patrol to perform a TRF excommunication on this individual.

Seriously?! This shit again? Wow. It's like we didn't do this 2 days ago. :facepalm:

Well this guy is wishing me to die,

Oh well i protect the name of RUSH at all cost,

You should do the same, Delete me if you dont like it

Who the hell cares,

... Is this Ray Danniels??

• Like 1

*Snort* "Pappy Van Winkles" :laughing guy:

I'm going to have to remember that one.

Its tasty and very hard to get, But it makes you mad as in crazy

sorry again budd I will never insult you :dweez: :cosmo:

Nah, you've never insulted me. I make it a rule never to take things seriously anyhow as I, myself, am rarely serious. Seriously.

Im a real Don Rickles sometimes,

mine too.

and Everybody just one sec.

i appreciate all the defense i got in this thread. it warms me.

but me and 1978 are cool.

he needs to stop drunk posting though, lol

Mick

Mickey boy

Im not going to get Drunk and post after tonight

But ill let you all know That im a fool :joker: And im sorry about that,

Ill try to be on my best Behavior and not shit in the house :pussy:

From now on i hope to only talk about Rush thats why i joined

I know you all love Rush and that some songs might just suck, Ill try to find one to hate myself,

It would likely be on Vapor trails Not my favorite rush album but still awesome :rush: :rush: :rush:

RUSH RULES :Neil: :Alex: :geddy: :rantoff:

Edited by Rush1978
  • Like 1

Drunk posting is the most fun kind of posting
  • Like 2

EVERYBODY JUST.

Mick

I can't remember a time he wasn't my favorite comedian. Nobody else has ever come close to touching him. What's it been about 10 years now since he died?

• Like 1

EVERYBODY JUST.

Mick

I can't remember a time he wasn't my favorite comedian. Nobody else has ever come close to touching him. What's it been about 10 years now since he died?

Sounds right.

He’s been my favorite since ‘82 or ‘83 when I saw that HBO special, Carlin at Carnegie Hall. I was only 10 or 11 then but it was hilarious even to my very young ears. :LOL:

• Like 1

Sounds right.

He’s been my favorite since ‘82 or ‘83 when I saw that HBO special, Carlin at Carnegie Hall. I was only 10 or 11 then but it was hilarious even to my very young ears. :LOL:

i saw my first Carlin special at 11 and that was it.

have All his CD'S. books and his stand up special boxset.

my hero.

Mick

• Like 2

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

• Like 2

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNi48f567E&sns=em

i hope seque see this.

this cheer is right up his street, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

i hope seque see this.

Mick

:LOL:

This cheer should be right up everyone's street!

• Like 2

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

i hope seque see this.

Mick

:P

I still have parts of Carlin's 'Icebox Man' memorized (just recited it for someone at work cleaning out the fridge) from when I was 10 and listening to it on Dr. Demento.

Could be meat, could be cake...

Loved that guy.

• Like 3

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

i hope seque see this.

Mick

:P

I still have parts of Carlin's 'Icebox Man' memorized (just recited it for someone at work cleaning out the fridge) from when I was 10 and listening to it on Dr. Demento.

Could be meat, could be cake...

Loved that guy.

MEATCAKE!!!!!!

lol

Mick

• Like 2

Yes it's wrong. They decided to go out on top while they physically could perform at their typical very high level. It was arguably a clunky departure by Neil, yes, but there will be no new albums. There's no money in them, they have nothing to prove, and Neil decided it was time to retire.

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Maybe the Time Machine Tour was unnecessary, although I'm sure it was a great tour for most everyone involved. Besides, didn't they pull out a few rarer numbers for that one? Maybe it wasn't Jacob's Ladder, but I recall Presto being played for the first time live, and the live version being surprisingly better than the studio version. That's besides the point though. Neil didn't do any tour just to make enough money to retire with. He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s. He retired when he wanted to, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't want to. He wanted to tour and write the lyrics to a concept album and work on it's novelization and make that album with Ged and Al and make it their most vital work since the 80s. By 2015, he was ready to retire, so he did. Why is that hard to understand?

Wow, gone two days and missed the fireworks. Glad rush fans can patch things up and listen to others in some places around here.

EP, as I have said a couple times in the first 7 pages of this topic, I agree 2015 was the year for Neil to retire, if that was his wish.

It's the way he spent the last five years of his career, and his complete refusal to support his two band mates desire to not retire that I disagree with. 3 years later and zero hints of a "Leefson" project. Wonder if there is any connection to that with NP turning g his back on them. One sentence expressing curiosity what his mates create in the future? If he did, I must have missed it.

Time machine did pull out a couple of rare songs, but that was not my point.

Look at rush setlists from MP tour. And then review every tour following until R40. I saw MP and every tour since, except HYF (h/t Transverse Leaf Spring).

From experience, I can tell you R40 is the tour 70s fans waited 34 years for. Then it was over 34 shows in. First single leg full tour of their career. Because they wore themselves out by jam packing the previous five years with synth dominated tours, to get a certain someone to their magic retirement number ASAP.

Read Neal's book about his famous cycle tour dealing with loss before making comments like "He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s." An obvious innacurate statement, had you read his book.

This is a forum for fans to express differing opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

This is such an awful take, words cannot describe it.

Troll.

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Maybe the Time Machine Tour was unnecessary, although I'm sure it was a great tour for most everyone involved. Besides, didn't they pull out a few rarer numbers for that one? Maybe it wasn't Jacob's Ladder, but I recall Presto being played for the first time live, and the live version being surprisingly better than the studio version. That's besides the point though. Neil didn't do any tour just to make enough money to retire with. He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s. He retired when he wanted to, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't want to. He wanted to tour and write the lyrics to a concept album and work on it's novelization and make that album with Ged and Al and make it their most vital work since the 80s. By 2015, he was ready to retire, so he did. Why is that hard to understand?

Wow, gone two days and missed the fireworks. Glad rush fans can patch things up and listen to others in some places around here.

EP, as I have said a couple times in the first 7 pages of this topic, I agree 2015 was the year for Neil to retire, if that was his wish.

It's the way he spent the last five years of his career, and his complete refusal to support his two band mates desire to not retire that I disagree with. 3 years later and zero hints of a "Leefson" project. Wonder if there is any connection to that with NP turning g his back on them. One sentence expressing curiosity what his mates create in the future? If he did, I must have missed it.

Look at rush setlists from MP tour. And then review every tour following until R40. I saw MP and every tour since, except HYF (h/t Transverse Leaf Spring).

From experience, I can tell you R40 is the tour 70s fans waited 34 years for. Then it was over 34 shows in. First single leg full tour of their career. Because they wore themselves out by jam packing the previous five years with synth dominated tours, to get a certain someone to their magic retirement number ASAP.

Read Neal's book about his famous cycle tour dealing with loss before making comments like "He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s." An obvious innacurate statement, had you read his book.

This is a forum for fans to express differing opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

I completely understand this forum is for expressing different opinions. I was literally making the same point a couple days ago. Don't accuse me of not accepting that my opinions aren't universal. It's not your opinions I disagree with, it's the facts you believe.

Yeah, R40 was an incredibly special tour, but I must say again, I highly doubt the previous tours were set up simply so Neil could feel like he earned his retirement. I'll accept that after a while he was much more interested in biking across the country than playing shows, but there's no way he couldn't have retired in 2011 if he'd wanted to. I think we're all upset at the way Rush ended, without much talk of officially putting an end to it, but if you were paying attention something was in the air that said "this could be important." When I was reading up on interviews about the upcoming R40 tour, I had a sense there was something more at work than a 40th anniversary, and when I heard what they put in the setlist, I started thinking they might not be planning to continue after this. I feel like the signs were there if you were open to seeing them, and I'm just glad my dad and I got to enjoy our first concert together being one from that incredible tour.

All that aside, I don't really have a big problem with your points until you mention the idea that Neil is somehow preventing Alex and Geddy from making music. That's completely preposterous. Geddy and Alex don't need Neil to make music, they only need him to make Rush. Let's not forget that Ged and Al released solo albums while Neil was on hiatus, they very likely will again. If there's any reason why they haven't done it yet, it's probably that they've just begun to realize over the past year or so that Rush is really over. I know every time I've seen Ged in an interview he's seemed less and less confident that Rush will ever do anything again, and he had been super confident of that before. He most likely hasn't committed himself to solo work simply because he's not ready to tie himself down to a musical project other than Rush, as than would make it all too real that Rush is over. However, I think he's realized it by now, just as most of us have, and he'll probably get back in the studio on his own by next year, if not this year. He could work with Alex, true, and I'd love to hear a Leefson project, but I feel like he's more likely to do solo work, just like Alex has been busying himself working with other artists, painting, writing, and enjoying his life apart from Rush. Whatever the case, Neil has nothing to do with Ged and Alex's ability to make more music. That's baloney. If you want to be upset wth Neil for finally settling down with his family after 40 years of nearly non-stop Rush, after the physical toll it took on his body, after the toll it took on his mind and emotions, and not least after what happened to his last family in the 90s, then fine. That's your prerogative. But know that no one would probably support Ged and Al making more music than Neil. He's always been a humongous proponent of individualism and artistic freedom, he's probably wondering why they haven't done anything yet just like the rest of us.

You said "preventing" while I said refused to publicly support. Those are different words with different meanings.

Do you understand you changed the meaning of my comment and then attacked your interpretation?

Regarding whether Neil needed to go back to work in 2002, read Ghost Rider. He writes about spending much more than his income during the hiatus, and was told by management they'd have to start selling his gear if that trend continued.

There's a TRF topic from 2008 if you don't believe the facts being presented to you:

"If you read closer, you will see that what Neil was saying was that at that time, he dodn't have enough saved up to retire completely, AND maintain his lifestyle WITHOUT selling off the band's infrastructure. Hence his reference to the discussions he had with Geddy and Al on this matter."

"

The answer lies in the legal paperwork that was submitted to the court when Alex was suing the neocon Cops in Florida. That showed Rush's 2005 (i think ) earnings. It was in the order of 17 million if my memory serves me correctly. As for each members personal wealth all he says in his books is that he was spending more than he earnt and that he was spending 7 times his earnings. (if my memory serves me correctly)."

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/34887-did-neil-have-money-problems/

Edited by GabesCavesOfIce

I completely understand this forum is for expressing different opinions. I was literally making the same point a couple days ago. Don't accuse me of not accepting that my opinions aren't universal. It's not your opinions I disagree with, it's the facts you believe.

Yeah, R40 was an incredibly special tour, but I must say again, I highly doubt the previous tours were set up simply so Neil could feel like he earned his retirement. I'll accept that after a while he was much more interested in biking across the country than playing shows, but there's no way he couldn't have retired in 2011 if he'd wanted to. I think we're all upset at the way Rush ended, without much talk of officially putting an end to it, but if you were paying attention something was in the air that said "this could be important." When I was reading up on interviews about the upcoming R40 tour, I had a sense there was something more at work than a 40th anniversary, and when I heard what they put in the setlist, I started thinking they might not be planning to continue after this. I feel like the signs were there if you were open to seeing them, and I'm just glad my dad and I got to enjoy our first concert together being one from that incredible tour.

All that aside, I don't really have a big problem with your points until you mention the idea that Neil is somehow preventing Alex and Geddy from making music. That's completely preposterous. Geddy and Alex don't need Neil to make music, they only need him to make Rush. Let's not forget that Ged and Al released solo albums while Neil was on hiatus, they very likely will again. If there's any reason why they haven't done it yet, it's probably that they've just begun to realize over the past year or so that Rush is really over. I know every time I've seen Ged in an interview he's seemed less and less confident that Rush will ever do anything again, and he had been super confident of that before. He most likely hasn't committed himself to solo work simply because he's not ready to tie himself down to a musical project other than Rush, as than would make it all too real that Rush is over. However, I think he's realized it by now, just as most of us have, and he'll probably get back in the studio on his own by next year, if not this year. He could work with Alex, true, and I'd love to hear a Leefson project, but I feel like he's more likely to do solo work, just like Alex has been busying himself working with other artists, painting, writing, and enjoying his life apart from Rush. Whatever the case, Neil has nothing to do with Ged and Alex's ability to make more music. That's baloney. If you want to be upset wth Neil for finally settling down with his family after 40 years of nearly non-stop Rush, after the physical toll it took on his body, after the toll it took on his mind and emotions, and not least after what happened to his last family in the 90s, then fine. That's your prerogative. But know that no one would probably support Ged and Al making more music than Neil. He's always been a humongous proponent of individualism and artistic freedom, he's probably wondering why they haven't done anything yet just like the rest of us.

You said "preventing" while I said refused to publicly support. Those are different words with different meanings.

Do you understand you changed the meaning of my comment and then attacked your interpretation?

Regarding whether Neil needed to go back to work in 2002, read Ghost Rider. He writes about spending much more than his income during the hiatus, and was told by management they'd have to start selling his gear if that trend continued.

There's a TRF topic from 2008 if you don't believe the facts being presented to you:

"If you read closer, you will see that what Neil was saying was that at that time, he dodn't have enough saved up to retire completely, AND maintain his lifestyle WITHOUT selling off the band's infrastructure. Hence his reference to the discussions he had with Geddy and Al on this matter."

"

The answer lies in the legal paperwork that was submitted to the court when Alex was suing the neocon Cops in Florida. That showed Rush's 2005 (i think ) earnings. It was in the order of 17 million if my memory serves me correctly. As for each members personal wealth all he says in his books is that he was spending more than he earnt and that he was spending 7 times his earnings. (if my memory serves me correctly)."

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/34887-did-neil-have-money-problems/

Alex and Geddy are big boys now. They don't need Neil's public support to continue making music, they just won't call it Rush, and for good reason. It doesn't matter if I (narrowly) changed the meaning of what you said by inserting a word that I thought you had clearly implied in your previous statement. The idea that Neil is obligated to tell his former band mates they're allowed to make music without him is incredibly short-sighted. Alex has already been working on musical projects, Geddy will soon, now that it's finally hitting him that Rush is done. It's a moot point.

Believe what you want about Neil's character and retirement. I still doubt that he went to the trouble of touring nonstop and making Rush's best album since the 80s from 2008 to 2015 just to "hit his magic retirement number." Why? Look at the quality of work he put in in those years. This is a man who obviously had the utmost care and respect for his craft, and for his fans. He retired in 2015 because he decided he couldn't spend anymore time away from his family. Simple as that.

Also, why the heck are we discussing Rush's personal finances. Few things are less interesting to me, and honestly I find it completely irrelevant how much money they had in 2005, or at any point in time. Neil could've retired whenever he wanted to, however many millions of dollars he didn't have yet. He certainly had enough to support a family of three.

• Like 1

Troll.

I've seen trolling. That is not trolling. That expressing disgust at someone else's opinion. Maybe it's unwarranted, sure. Maybe it's not nice, sure. But it ain't trolling.

• Like 1

Troll.

I've seen trolling. That is not trolling. That expressing disgust at someone else's opinion. Maybe it's unwarranted, sure. Maybe it's not nice, sure. But it ain't trolling.

Putting down someone's opinion, while providing zero reason and zero content, is provocative.

Read their other comments. It's how that member operates.

"

Alex and Geddy are big boys now. They don't need Neil's public support to continue making music, they just won't call it Rush, and for good reason. It doesn't matter if I (narrowly) changed the meaning of what you said by inserting a word that I thought you had clearly implied in your previous statement. The idea that Neil is obligated to tell his former band mates they're allowed to make music without him is incredibly short-sighted. Alex has already been working on musical projects, Geddy will soon, now that it's finally hitting him that Rush is done. It's a moot point.

Believe what you want about Neil's character and retirement. I still doubt that he went to the trouble of touring nonstop and making Rush's best album since the 80s from 2008 to 2015 just to "hit his magic retirement number." Why? Look at the quality of work he put in in those years. This is a man who obviously had the utmost care and respect for his craft, and for his fans. He retired in 2015 because he decided he couldn't spend anymore time away from his family. Simple as that.

Also, why the heck are we discussing Rush's personal finances. Few things are less interesting to me, and honestly I find it completely irrelevant how much money they had in 2005, or at any point in time. Neil could've retired whenever he wanted to, however many millions of dollars he didn't have yet. He certainly had enough to support a family of three.

I agree,I could care less about his finances.

However, in the context of this subject, when you consider his comments about finances in Ghost Rider, and examine their busy tour schedule post hiatus, it presents a clear picture, imo. This is a discussion about decisions made in the years leading up to his publicly abrupt retirement announcement. Some have said he wore himself out with the busy touring the last 10+ years. I agree.

Yes Ged n Al are "big boys." But, you do not see how influential Neil is to them? How many bands have ever said "this band is just us, period." It's almost unheard of. Bands with just as much "musicianship" have reached outside when members leave.

I agree Rush is done. To counter Geddys support (with that comment of Neil) during the hiatus by expressing a sentence or two of support or interest in checking out future material would have been a cool thing to do (considering the tension surrounding the band regarding their disagreements on this issue during R40). Just an opinion. It's not like I'm losing any sleep over it ;)

• Like 1

Sounds right.

my hero.

Mick

i hope seque see this.

Mick

RIP GEORGE

I love George OMG this one is so funny ---

• Like 1

Drunk posting is the most fun kind of posting

Im not going to Drunk post ever again,

Ill Stoned post now, This song is so goddamn awesome, Never forget how much we all love RUSH

• Like 1