Is it wrong to be upset with RUSH for not making a new album

Rush1978

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

You must be kidding :moon:

Every RUSH album is equal and awesome

How is Roll The Bones anywhere near equal to Permanent Waves? That's baloney.

I bet you think they're equal.

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

You must be kidding :moon:

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Every RUSH album is equal and awesome

It's plainly you that "must be kidding"

Sorry you feel that way,

Why?......I'm certainly not.

Just messing with you man

No shit, Sherlock.......

Rush gave us 41 years. They owe us nothing.

Enjoy what they gave us and be grateful we got as much as we did.

I'm about as grateful to Rush as I am to my Toyota dealer. Both provided a product which I paid good money for.

• Like 3

Wow, I'm so sorry about your aunt Rush1978, and your apology is more than accepted. Prayers coming your way.

And for the record, I think it's great that you love all of Rush's music equally. If I could, I probably would, because having 20 Rush albums of nothing but utter genius would be stupendous. Unfortunately I can't find Neurotica or Heresy to be more good than bad, nor many of their other songs to be the same level as songs like 2112, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1, but I'm so happy for you that you can and you do.

I hope you have a long stay here and enjoy it and that we can all be friends.

Thanks so much !! Its a tough day but im trying to relax, Listing to Nobody's Hero and counterparts, I still remember that tour,

Me and my late friend Sam Buck went to the show in dallas then Austin, RUSH always cheers me up in any case. Im kind of out of it now

But i wanted to thank you for the forgiveness and i will do my best to be a better person

• Like 1

I just lost my aunt lori to cancer this evening

So very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Rush1978. :hug2:

Thanks Alice cooper,

I saw Alice with my dad I love the guy

• Like 1

I too am sorry for the loss of your aunt, Rush1978. Sending you hugs and purrs. :hug2:

Thanks so much your all making me feel better !!! , Hugs to you also :kisshug:

• Like 1

Wow, I'm so sorry about your aunt Rush1978, and your apology is more than accepted. Prayers coming your way.

And for the record, I think it's great that you love all of Rush's music equally. If I could, I probably would, because having 20 Rush albums of nothing but utter genius would be stupendous. Unfortunately I can't find Neurotica or Heresy to be more good than bad, nor many of their other songs to be the same level as songs like 2112, Xanadu, and Cygnus X-1, but I'm so happy for you that you can and you do.

I hope you have a long stay here and enjoy it and that we can all be friends.

Xanadu was the first song i studied by RUSH in my grandma's basement When i was 8 years old I was a weird kid that loved RUSH

The lyrics taught me to read at a adult level . I read Rush Lyrics religiously. I wish there was more for me to read if you get my drift

Come back RUSH !!!!!

• Like 1

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree when Neil said he was done, it was time for HIM to retire.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

Part of being a Rush fan is accepting the fact that even if Geddy, Alex and Neil are your personal heroes, they're not saints. Nobody's perfect 100% of the time. Personally, I always hated how Neil forced Ged and Al's hands into retirement even though they didn't want to, and to be honest, I'm also a bit disappointed in Geddy for not having a spine. He should have told Neil "Look, you may be done, but I'm not. I still want to perform, I still want to make new music, and whether you want to participate or not is your perogative."

I guess he's just too nice to do that.

You really believe that three guys who have been in a band together for 40 years have not had these conversations with each other? Just because they aren't doing interviews or making public statements about it doesn't mean they haven't talked about all of this stuff. And nobody said that just because Neil wants to retire Geddy and Alex have to, too. They can do whatever they want. Who's to say they won't work together again? The only thing that's clear is if they do do a project together in the future it won't be under the name "Rush." Which is the right thing to do.

To me this comes back to not being able to understand how someone can look at the body of work they've put out — 20 largely great albums over 40 years, plus near-constant touring in that time — and say "no, you know what, that's not enough, I'm mad they aren't going to do more." That's a lot of albums and tours. You'd be hard-pressed to find another band that's kept up this level of quality and consistency for that long a time. I can't think of another one that comes close. Go back and revisit one of their albums you haven't listened to in a while and see if you can discover something new in it.

Or, god forbid, get into other bands. There are lots of them out there!

I listen to every album randomly,

And wait.......Ged and Al can no longer work? they HAVE to be retired?

Ged and al can still put stuff out if they choose.

cut the shit, lol

Mick

fraroc Commandment #1:

Neil quits, EVERYONE stops working! Sun no longer shines! Flowers no longer bloom! Birds stop chirping! Geddy’s a spineless wuss!

i really done like saying this.

but.......some of this thread is utter stupidity.

Maybe we'll hear more from Ged and Al.....maybe not.

and if not.........THAT'S NOT DOWN TO GOD DAMN FUKKIN' NEIL!!!

whew.....sorry saw red again, lol

Mick

Seek help Mick.

lol

Oh if you only knew how much i hate that song.

which makes this even funnier, lol

Mick

I dont see how you can hate any RUSH song,

Hows this one for you ---

Better.

:haz:

Mick

Let me guess your favorite :rush: Song Here it is ---

Can you guess my favorite :rush: song? :)

I guess your favorite :rush: songs is Cygnus X 1 or something on Hemispheres ?????

Wow...

Wow what ?

Did i guess correctly ? You look like a Cygnus man

Just a reaction to this thread. That’s all.

Well im curious what is your fav rush song superfan

Love that photo

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Maybe the Time Machine Tour was unnecessary, although I'm sure it was a great tour for most everyone involved. Besides, didn't they pull out a few rarer numbers for that one? Maybe it wasn't Jacob's Ladder, but I recall Presto being played for the first time live, and the live version being surprisingly better than the studio version. That's besides the point though. Neil didn't do any tour just to make enough money to retire with. He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s. He retired when he wanted to, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't want to. He wanted to tour and write the lyrics to a concept album and work on it's novelization and make that album with Ged and Al and make it their most vital work since the 80s. By 2015, he was ready to retire, so he did. Why is that hard to understand?

Wow, gone two days and missed the fireworks. Glad rush fans can patch things up and listen to others in some places around here.

EP, as I have said a couple times in the first 7 pages of this topic, I agree 2015 was the year for Neil to retire, if that was his wish.

It's the way he spent the last five years of his career, and his complete refusal to support his two band mates desire to not retire that I disagree with. 3 years later and zero hints of a "Leefson" project. Wonder if there is any connection to that with NP turning g his back on them. One sentence expressing curiosity what his mates create in the future? If he did, I must have missed it.

Time machine did pull out a couple of rare songs, but that was not my point.

Look at rush setlists from MP tour. And then review every tour following until R40. I saw MP and every tour since, except HYF (h/t Transverse Leaf Spring).

From experience, I can tell you R40 is the tour 70s fans waited 34 years for. Then it was over 34 shows in. First single leg full tour of their career. Because they wore themselves out by jam packing the previous five years with synth dominated tours, to get a certain someone to their magic retirement number ASAP.

Read Neal's book about his famous cycle tour dealing with loss before making comments like "He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s." An obvious innacurate statement, had you read his book.

This is a forum for fans to express differing opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

• Like 2

definitely not, so long as you have understanding and respect for the band's reasons to retire. pretty bothered by it myself, no new Rush ever again isnt something to feel good about

I dont understand there reasons. Nothing should end RUSH, But yes i kind of do get it, Im positive someday they will return,

Fingers Crossed Toes crossed :hail:

If they do, they will be so old that you may be very disappointed in the performance. Hell man! They gave over forty years. I got a lot more out of them than I thought I ever would.

Your right, I got many years of enlightenment from the guys, I just really want more, Same as you

They can always play slower songs like tai shan

AdmiredShinyHind-max-1mb.gif
  • Like 1

I hate to be so selfish, But i'm really upset with RUSH and Neil for giving up on RUSH, I know they all have other things to do in life.

Its been like "clockwork" for years, Every couple of years something new and awesome from RUSH for me to look forward too,

Now it seems to really be over and i'm upset to say the least, I wish they would think of the fans and make something new for us all. They know we want that,

They must have new songs written after all these lost years without them, They must play music its in there DNA I want to hear those songs big time, Also are they still friends ? Anybody know about that ?

RUSH 2018 Album ? I can always dream at least ---

Btw thanks for letting me join your RUSH Club, I dig it

Rush doesn't owe you anything. All you entitled die-hards need to get over yourselves.

• Like 1

If they have retired for good then for me, it is a natural response to be upset. I'm in a mourning period. I have lost a good friend, but I have my memories of concerts and songs and in time it won't bother me as much.

But I also believe as long as the three of them are on this planet, the door is open...:sundog:

I hate to be so selfish, But i'm really upset with RUSH and Neil for giving up on RUSH, I know they all have other things to do in life.

Its been like "clockwork" for years, Every couple of years something new and awesome from RUSH for me to look forward too,

Now it seems to really be over and i'm upset to say the least, I wish they would think of the fans and make something new for us all. They know we want that,

They must have new songs written after all these lost years without them, They must play music its in there DNA I want to hear those songs big time, Also are they still friends ? Anybody know about that ?

RUSH 2018 Album ? I can always dream at least ---

Btw thanks for letting me join your RUSH Club, I dig it

Rush doesn't owe you anything. All you entitled die-hards need to get over yourselves.

You got Test For Echo for free?

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Maybe the Time Machine Tour was unnecessary, although I'm sure it was a great tour for most everyone involved. Besides, didn't they pull out a few rarer numbers for that one? Maybe it wasn't Jacob's Ladder, but I recall Presto being played for the first time live, and the live version being surprisingly better than the studio version. That's besides the point though. Neil didn't do any tour just to make enough money to retire with. He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s. He retired when he wanted to, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't want to. He wanted to tour and write the lyrics to a concept album and work on it's novelization and make that album with Ged and Al and make it their most vital work since the 80s. By 2015, he was ready to retire, so he did. Why is that hard to understand?

Wow, gone two days and missed the fireworks. Glad rush fans can patch things up and listen to others in some places around here.

EP, as I have said a couple times in the first 7 pages of this topic, I agree 2015 was the year for Neil to retire, if that was his wish.

It's the way he spent the last five years of his career, and his complete refusal to support his two band mates desire to not retire that I disagree with. 3 years later and zero hints of a "Leefson" project. Wonder if there is any connection to that with NP turning g his back on them. One sentence expressing curiosity what his mates create in the future? If he did, I must have missed it.

Look at rush setlists from MP tour. And then review every tour following until R40. I saw MP and every tour since, except HYF (h/t Transverse Leaf Spring).

From experience, I can tell you R40 is the tour 70s fans waited 34 years for. Then it was over 34 shows in. First single leg full tour of their career. Because they wore themselves out by jam packing the previous five years with synth dominated tours, to get a certain someone to their magic retirement number ASAP.

Read Neal's book about his famous cycle tour dealing with loss before making comments like "He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s." An obvious innacurate statement, had you read his book.

This is a forum for fans to express differing opinions. Why is that so hard to understand?

I completely understand this forum is for expressing different opinions. I was literally making the same point a couple days ago. Don't accuse me of not accepting that my opinions aren't universal. It's not your opinions I disagree with, it's the facts you believe.

Yeah, R40 was an incredibly special tour, but I must say again, I highly doubt the previous tours were set up simply so Neil could feel like he earned his retirement. I'll accept that after a while he was much more interested in biking across the country than playing shows, but there's no way he couldn't have retired in 2011 if he'd wanted to. I think we're all upset at the way Rush ended, without much talk of officially putting an end to it, but if you were paying attention something was in the air that said "this could be important." When I was reading up on interviews about the upcoming R40 tour, I had a sense there was something more at work than a 40th anniversary, and when I heard what they put in the setlist, I started thinking they might not be planning to continue after this. I feel like the signs were there if you were open to seeing them, and I'm just glad my dad and I got to enjoy our first concert together being one from that incredible tour.

All that aside, I don't really have a big problem with your points until you mention the idea that Neil is somehow preventing Alex and Geddy from making music. That's completely preposterous. Geddy and Alex don't need Neil to make music, they only need him to make Rush. Let's not forget that Ged and Al released solo albums while Neil was on hiatus, they very likely will again. If there's any reason why they haven't done it yet, it's probably that they've just begun to realize over the past year or so that Rush is really over. I know every time I've seen Ged in an interview he's seemed less and less confident that Rush will ever do anything again, and he had been super confident of that before. He most likely hasn't committed himself to solo work simply because he's not ready to tie himself down to a musical project other than Rush, as than would make it all too real that Rush is over. However, I think he's realized it by now, just as most of us have, and he'll probably get back in the studio on his own by next year, if not this year. He could work with Alex, true, and I'd love to hear a Leefson project, but I feel like he's more likely to do solo work, just like Alex has been busying himself working with other artists, painting, writing, and enjoying his life apart from Rush. Whatever the case, Neil has nothing to do with Ged and Alex's ability to make more music. That's baloney. If you want to be upset wth Neil for finally settling down with his family after 40 years of nearly non-stop Rush, after the physical toll it took on his body, after the toll it took on his mind and emotions, and not least after what happened to his last family in the 90s, then fine. That's your prerogative. But know that no one would probably support Ged and Al making more music than Neil. He's always been a humongous proponent of individualism and artistic freedom, he's probably wondering why they haven't done anything yet just like the rest of us.

• Like 2

This is such an awful take, words cannot describe it.

• Like 1

This is such an awful take, words cannot describe it.

Words just did...