TRF's top 120 albums of all time ever in the history of music. Qualifying round.

Jesus blue jumping....

No steely dan?

Major ball shave there.

We're being edgy. Didn't you get the non-corporate memo?

But seriously, some albums like Dan's Aja or Zep IV don't really need to be included. They transcend ranking of this kind.

Any major dude did tell me about the memo but only after i had pissed into someones cornflakes!

Whine and cheese...

• Like 1

I get the feeling some people are choosing their personal favorites without really considering whether they are among the greatest of all time. I know there can be a thin line but if you think to yourself is this an album that is really just something I like or are there a lot of people who would agree with me. I'm not saying it should be a popularity contest but I think maybe the dubious entries should be voted on as to whether they stay on the list or get the boot. Just a suggestion.

I get the feeling some people are choosing their personal favorites without really considering whether they are among the greatest of all time. I know there can be a thin line but if you think to yourself is this an album that is really just something I like or are there a lot of people who would agree with me. I'm not saying it should be a popularity contest but I think maybe the dubious entries should be voted on as to whether they stay on the list or get the boot. Just a suggestion.

There's no place to draw the line for what is a "dubious" entry though. And this would rule out most anything posted by certain people because they have vastly different opinions and tastes than the majority on this board, which would be completely unfair to them.

I explained this before, but this is the most fair way to do it. Everyone had a chance to post whatever albums they liked. If an album you think should be on the list isn't there, it's not because someone posted an album you don't like as much, it's because you didn't take your opportunity to post it.

There's no place to draw the line for what is a "dubious" entry though. And this would rule out most anything posted by certain people because they have vastly different opinions and tastes than the majority on this board, which would be completely unfair to them.

I explained this before, but this is the most fair way to do it. Everyone had a chance to post whatever albums they liked. If an album you think should be on the list isn't there, it's not because someone posted an album you don't like as much, it's because you didn't take your opportunity to post it.

I disagree. If the vast majority of fans on here haven't heard of it at least then it's a dubious entry. This isn't a democracy this a rush fan forum. :P

I disagree. If the vast majority of fans on here haven't heard of it at least then it's a dubious entry. This isn't a democracy this a rush fan forum. :P

define vast majority then. Perhaps you disagree, but I think it's better to be fair.

define vast majority then. Perhaps you disagree, but I think it's better to be fair.

Oh for crying out loud.

Yes, I'm talking about fairness. Is it fair to have an obscure album that only one person likes be in the top ten? It should be about quality and not just popularity but if we are talking greatest of all time then popularity should be a factor and not just one persons personal favorite.

If one or two people like it but one hundred don't know about it then obviously it wouldn't qualify as "vast majority."

Anyway, this is just my opinion. If others on here think I'm off my rocker or don't see where I'm coming from(like you don't seem to)then fine you can ignore my comments. Then you can have the doodie band- songs from my toilet as your number one album. It doesn't make much difference to me.

Edited by New_World_Man

Oh for crying out loud.

Yes, I'm talking about fairness. Is it fair to have an obscure album that only one person likes be in the top ten? It should be about quality and not just popularity but if we are talking greatest of all time then popularity should be a factor and not just one persons personal favorite.

If one or two people like it but one hundred don't know about it then obviously it wouldn't qualify as "vast majority."

Anyway, this is just my opinion. If others on here think I'm off my rocker or don't see where I'm coming from(like you don't seem to)then fine you can ignore my comments. Then you can have the doodie band- songs from my toilet as your number one album. It doesn't make much difference to me.

I mean, have you seen what actually advanced? The Taylor Swift album got one vote in the next round and hasn't been seen since. The MisterWives album I put in didn't even get a vote from me, lol. I do absolutely see where you're coming from, and I didn't mean for this to get heated. I just didn't want to reject anyone's input. If I had tried to make some rule about albums having to be non "dubious," certain people would've felt unwelcome in this thread and would've been given the message that their tastes and opinions don't matter here, which I think is a far worse result than letting certain personal favorite albums make it into the first 120 entries, especially seeing as they were all voted out in the first round in the next thread. I listed this thread as a qualifier, but perhaps I should've just said it was a race, because that's essentially what it was. Anyone could put in any album they felt worthy, regardless of what anyone else thought of it. And if you look at what made the list, there are very few entries that wouldn't pass muster of the vast majority of people on the board as worthy of consideration. As far as I can recall, there are like three, half a dozen at most, that would be considered dubious entries by your definition. That's an insignificant fraction of the total, especially considering that none of those albums advanced past the first cut. I'm not here and I didn't make this thread to be exclusive. If we're going to be fair, then we're going to have to treat everyone's opinions equally, regardless of how controversial, because there is no objective way to qualify MisterWives' Connect The Dots as better or worse than The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's. They both made this list, and only one advanced past the first cut. That should tell anyone reading all they need to know about people's opinions of the two albums of this website.