Slow greatness

Red3angel

VT original mastering.It gave me a not very favourite headache(sorry).But just not the production,some of the songs were lacking and it just seemed like slugfest with virtually no guitar solos or light and shade.At this stage i didn't care too much for the lyrics because of the bludgeoning of the sound.Still i persevered because it was Rush.The title track,Earthshine started to seep in but Ghost Rider and Freeze left me,err,cold.Then the remix came out and it was like getting a new album.I am still playing both versions and finding things but i still can not play it all the way through like all their other albums.
  • Like 1

If i had one song to pick that took ages to get into was The Camera Eye.It took ages to get going and then halfway through it suddenly stopped and repeated it all again.Now i love the track,mote than Tom Sawyer.
  • Like 2

Caress of Steel. It took me about 15 years to fully appreciate it. A top 5 now.

That's a weird one. Interesting next year brought 2112.

The opposite of a grower, and one I loved instantly.
  • Like 1

probably GuP. Initially I just wasn't very thrilled by it, but as time wore on and I heard many worse Rush albums and listened to it more closely, I found redeeming qualities in all the songs. Nearly as good as Hems.

But I still think Hems is overrated.

• Like 1

The opposite of a grower, and one I loved instantly.

A loaned copy of 2112 (as well as Signals) was my intro to Rush albums. Mind blowing. Had to keep playing it. I think Caress might have been what Rush sounded like if they were around in '69.

Edited by ozzy85

I really struggled to enjoy Fly By Night (Love it!), Hemispheres (I still do), Signals (I like it as much as I think I ever will: not much), Power Windows (nearly stalled my interest in furthering my Rush collection, I love it now (but not as much as the albums that immediately preceded and followed it), Vapor Trails (top ten for me now), Snakes And Arrows (not sure where I would rank it, but it'sa great album!).

However, I loved Caress Of Steel, 2112, AFTK, Presto, RTB and CA immediately. Of these albums, RTB wore off me before winning me back, whilst CA got worse the more I came to know the Rush back catalogue.

The albums not mentioned I liked or disliked as soon as I heard them, and my views never changed. Of them, Test For Echo stands out as one I like but can leave, whilst the debut has amazing energy but nothing to offer me somg wise.

And Couterparts stands right in the middle, it has two of my all time favourite songs by any artist ever (Cold Fire and Everyday Glory) and then one song I quite hate (Stick It Out), whilst I greatly enjoy the rest of the songs...but never feel drawn to come back too.

Permanent Waves is the album I love the most that I always overlook.

Caress Of Steel for me as well. Fell in love with Rush in middle school. All through middle school and high school I thought it was an okay album by Rush standards. Then I got to college and started smoking herb and then I really understood the album.
  • Like 1