Ready Player One - are we boycotting?

ThinkingBig

Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe Rush didn't approve of something or just decided to not allow their music to be used. I'd say the chances of that are slim that they'd not allow their music to be used because ten bucks is ten bucks, but who knows.

I was thinking the same thing

There are a lot of things that go into having your songs and "brand" put in a movie that go beyond what a director likes or doesn't like ..

I know that Rush agreed to have Fly By Night in that Volkswagen commercial a few years back, and maybe they felt that was a mistake .. or maybe they wanted a percent or cut that Spielberg and co felt was unreasonable ....

I think that it is more likely that Spielberg thinks Rush sucks.

Saw it last night with my son and supermouse. Loved it!!

I really enjoyed the movie, and the Rush references in it. The movie was simplified a lot to work for film, and a lot of references were changed to make it work with licensing. I disliked the music and soundtrack of the movie, but it still works with the themes of the story.

Maybe I had the expectations for the movie being what it was. It wasn't nearly as bad as what they did with Ender's Game.

• Like 1

Maybe it's for the best, as Rushs' last involvement in a film hardly covered them in glory......

I didn’t see that but it sure looked below average

I loved the movie, but I'm an avid Rush fan. I can see how it might be mediocre for anyone else.

It wasn't even mediocre, it was f***ing awful.........

:LOL:

Here’s a Rush reference I appreciate in a show I appreciated (Jason Segel a decade prior to “..Love You...”):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqOtEz6PfA&sns=em

Classic. I love the scene where he tries out for the band. :LOL:

But this is THE scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbk5O2bAlI

:LOL:

Too right! Love it!

That show was funny as hell and it had some REAL things to say :yes:

Still confused by why it was cancelled after just one season.

Because America love crap.

I Love You Man was awkward, at its best moments. As a Rush fan it seemed... arbitrary. Any other popular rock band could have been chosen for the role the music played in the movie. I don't feel like they ever really got to the core of what makes Rush popular among those who like them. Sounds like the same can be said of Ready Player One. Interchange Rush for this or that.

It probably doesn't help I don't particularly care for Rudd either. He has the charisma of a box of unsalted crackers.

But the two lead actors are notorious for their actual love of the band Rush. It wasn't like Rush as just randomly selected. They truly were fans and were acting like dorks.

I Love You Man was awkward, at its best moments. As a Rush fan it seemed... arbitrary. Any other popular rock band could have been chosen for the role the music played in the movie. I don't feel like they ever really got to the core of what makes Rush popular among those who like them. Sounds like the same can be said of Ready Player One. Interchange Rush for this or that.

It probably doesn't help I don't particularly care for Rudd either. He has the charisma of a box of unsalted crackers.

But the two lead actors are notorious for their actual love of the band Rush. It wasn't like Rush as just randomly selected. They truly were fans and were acting like dorks.

And Ernest Cline is a huge Rush fan. If you read the book, it's easy to tell that he loves the band.

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing it. It was a fun movie but...as far as the book is concerned, the soundtrack, and considering Spielberg directed it it was, for lack of a better word, bland. Or dull. Or oatmeal, or, whatever...meh. Visually it was cool looking, but no better than a well executed computer animated show on Cartoon Network. Everything that I loved about the book (and that made it such a personal 'read' to me) Rush, Blade Runner, Max Headroom etc. didn't make the cut. I could even get past it leaving out all but the briefest cameo Rush image appearances (same one showed twice in different places), but the soundtrack itself and what did make the cut was just forgettable. Like I said, it was fun, but nothing special. Which is surprising considering the source material and who directed it. Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 2

Of course the movie was wimpified when compared to the book...that's what I was expecting. I still think the movie was okay though. One problem I did have was the uninspiring collection of songs they decided to include, especially the song over the closing credits.
  • Like 2

Of course the movie was wimpified when compared to the book...that's what I was expecting. I still think the movie was okay though. One problem I did have was the uninspiring collection of songs they decided to include, especially the song over the closing credits.

What was the closing song? Put it in a spoiler if you think it’s necessary.

I could even get past it leaving out all but the briefest cameo Rush image appearances (same one showed twice in different places), but the soundtrack itself and what did make the cut was just forgettable.

My daughter asked me to go see it to see if I thought she could see it. I agree, it was pretty bland...very much like watching someone else play a video game. Regarding the Rush references, I saw two distinct ones:

The poster on the wall and Aech's T-shirt at the end.

Are those the same ones you saw?

• Like 2

I could even get past it leaving out all but the briefest cameo Rush image appearances (same one showed twice in different places), but the soundtrack itself and what did make the cut was just forgettable.

My daughter asked me to go see it to see if I thought she could see it. I agree, it was pretty bland...very much like watching someone else play a video game. Regarding the Rush references, I saw two distinct ones:

That’s what I saw.

Yeah. That's them.

And Ernest Cline is a huge Rush fan. If you read the book, it's easy to tell that he loves the band.

Cline wrote the screenplay but I guess he got over ruled, it still ticks me off they use Tom Sawyer in clips (saw on the tv during the Olympics as well as at the theater) then put in stupid Van Halen. My hubby went to see it and liked it, I'm still on the fence about going.. :rage: :eyeroll:

Cline wrote the screenplay but I guess he got over ruled, it still ticks me off they use Tom Sawyer in clips (saw on the tv during the Olympics as well as at the theater) then put in stupid Van Halen. My hubby went to see it and liked it, I'm still on the fence about going.. :rage: :eyeroll:

I just saw it with my kids and enjoyed it very much. Even the closing song, which I thought was a hilarious choice.

Yeah. That's them.

The shirt too.