Ready Player One - are we boycotting?

ThinkingBig

Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe Rush didn't approve of something or just decided to not allow their music to be used. I'd say the chances of that are slim that they'd not allow their music to be used because ten bucks is ten bucks, but who knows.

I was thinking the same thing

There are a lot of things that go into having your songs and "brand" put in a movie that go beyond what a director likes or doesn't like ..

I know that Rush agreed to have Fly By Night in that Volkswagen commercial a few years back, and maybe they felt that was a mistake .. or maybe they wanted a percent or cut that Spielberg and co felt was unreasonable ....

In an article over a year old now, Spielberg said he was cutting a lot of the 80s referential stuff including those to himself. He just thought they were a bit much.

However, I bet it wasn’t not only a matter him just cutting stuff but also an issue of securing rights. Additionally, I bet Rush weren’t even contacted. That is, I suppose it didn’t even get that far before the Rush references were dropped.

Never heard of it, but Spielberg has always been a douchebag. He was originally supposed to direct the Harry Potter movies, but insisted that all the actors be American. JK Rowling told him to f**k off.

Is this article a 100% lie?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Spielberg-Explains-Why-He-Didn-t-Direct-Harry-Potter-28707.html

No idea. He doesn't address the American issue or the fact that Rowling was absolutely adamant against that

The whole thing (book, movie, with or without Rush) sounds like shit to me.

I'm boycotting 'cause I just don't care.

Next thing for my impotent rage, please.

I wasn't planning on watching it until it hit Netflix. The 70s are way more nostalgic for me than the 80s are.

I was thinking the next time I find myself needing some (proper) "correction".

http://blackheartmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/a-clockwork-orange-470x260.jpg

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Let me guess, :rush: isn’t “cool” enough to appeal to Taylor Swift loving millennials.

Hey! I love both, and hardly fair as both have different types of music entirely.

Maybe it's for the best, as Rushs' last involvement in a film hardly covered them in glory......

I didn’t see that but it sure looked below average

Trust me, you are missing absolutely nothing, but if you are feeling particularly masochistic, then have a look at this link:

To be honest the film looks amazing and who cares if Rush isn't involved? The book is about a lot more than just Rush references.
  • Like 1

The whole thing (book, movie, with or without Rush) sounds like shit to me.

I'm boycotting 'cause I just don't care.

Next thing for my impotent rage, please.

The book is actually pretty good...it's not a literary masterpiece by any means (not even close), but the music/video game references make it hit home for someone my age (50+).

The downside, as far as turning it into a film, is that those old references can be replaced easily enough to things more recognizable (and less geeky) without affecting the overall story even a little bit. I don't blame the makers of the film for doing just that. I just think that the film will not be as good to me as it could have been. The book is all action/adventure with a simple story so should translate easily enough into an entertaining movie otherwise.

Maybe it's for the best, as Rushs' last involvement in a film hardly covered them in glory......

Trust me, you are missing absolutely nothing, but if you are feeling particularly masochistic, then have a look at this link:

I don’t mind Paul Rudd but I was two seconds into that and gave up on my masochism.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I Love You Man was awkward, at its best moments. As a Rush fan it seemed... arbitrary. Any other popular rock band could have been chosen for the role the music played in the movie. I don't feel like they ever really got to the core of what makes Rush popular among those who like them. Sounds like the same can be said of Ready Player One. Interchange Rush for this or that.

It probably doesn't help I don't particularly care for Rudd either. He has the charisma of a box of unsalted crackers.

I Love You Man was awkward, at its best moments. As a Rush fan it seemed... arbitrary. Any other popular rock band could have been chosen for the role the music played in the movie. I don't feel like they ever really got to the core of what makes Rush popular among those who like them. Sounds like the same can be said of Ready Player One. Interchange Rush for this or that.

It probably doesn't help I don't particularly care for Rudd either. He has the charisma of a box of unsalted crackers.

((edited for possible misunderstanding))

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

From the Hollywood Reporter...

A rollicking adventure through worlds both bleak and fantastic, Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One makes big changes to the specifics and structure of Ernest Cline's best-selling novel but keeps the spirit and level-up thrills intact. With Cline as a screenwriter alongside Zak Penn, it's not surprising that while some of the book's dorkier elements are excised — sorry, Rush fans! — their replacements display similar pop-culture obsessiveness while lending themselves more to the cinematic gifts of the man Cline surely dreamed would adapt the book.

First Oklahoma City ditched for Columbus now no Rush...I'm out.

I loved the movie, but I'm an avid Rush fan. I can see how it might be mediocre for anyone else.

It wasn't even mediocre, it was f***ing awful.........

I loved the movie, but I'm an avid Rush fan. I can see how it might be mediocre for anyone else.

:LOL:

Here’s a Rush reference I appreciate in a show I appreciated (Jason Segel a decade prior to “..Love You...”):

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Here’s a Rush reference I appreciate in a show I appreciated (Jason Segel a decade prior to “..Love You...”):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqOtEz6PfA&sns=em

Classic. I love the scene where he tries out for the band. :LOL:

But this is THE scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbk5O2bAlI

Edited by goose
  • Like 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CqOtEz6PfA&sns=em

Classic. I love the scene where he tries out for the band. :LOL:

But this is THE scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbk5O2bAlI

Too right! Love it!

That show was funny as hell and it had some REAL things to say :yes:

Still confused by why it was cancelled after just one season.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Saw it last night with my son and supermouse. Loved it!!

I really enjoyed the movie, and the Rush references in it. The movie was simplified a lot to work for film, and a lot of references were changed to make it work with licensing. I disliked the music and soundtrack of the movie, but it still works with the themes of the story.