Ready Player One - are we boycotting?

ThinkingBig

I consider Speilberg one of the greats of my generation.

But Ready Player One without Rush is like... Star Wars without Han. (Rush are actual characters in the book)

if you've read the book, you know that RUSH is the soundtrack to ALL the 1980s references, D&D, computers, video games, sciFi... I played every game in that book, owned every computer in that book, and RUSH was always on in the b.g.

They are also pivotal character in the stories climax -- 2112 - land!!

I'm just not excited to see the film anymore.

• Like 2

Wait, you can confirm there is no reference to Rush or their music in the soundtrack?

There was a review in the Hollywood Reporter - RUSH was left out or on cutting room floor.

Wait, you can confirm there is no reference to Rush or their music in the soundtrack?

There was a review in the Hollywood Reporter - RUSH was left out or on cutting room floor.

My level of interest dropped 2112%.

• Like 5

:o :o :o I guess that would explain why there was Rush music in the TV trailers last month and not this month? I dunno, I got nuthin.

That did happen, though. Last month my husband kept saying, "There's some Rush music for ya" and recently when the trailer has been running- no Rush.

My level of interest dropped 2112%.

Mine changed 0%, which is to say, I had and have no interest in this movie regardless of what music is or isn't a part of it. Maybe a topic for a different thread, but why are so many Rush fans also nerds?

• Like 1

Awww...man! Well, I promised my son I'd take him and we'd been looking forward to it, so I'll still go see it, but I'll be pissed off the whole time.
  • Like 1

I consider Speilberg one of the greats of my generation.

But Ready Player One without Rush is like... Star Wars without Han. (Rush are actual characters in the book)

if you've read the book, you know that RUSH is the soundtrack to ALL the 1980s references, D&D, computers, video games, sciFi... I played every game in that book, owned every computer in that book, and RUSH was always on in the b.g.

They are also pivotal character in the stories climax -- 2112 - land!!

I'm just not excited to see the film anymore.

If that is the case, I will never watch this movie.

Well we Rush fans are unique by the very nature of their music. Screw the Swift loving millenials.

Will wait until the library gets this before I see it, if at all.

• Like 2

I loved the book, but knew there was absolutely no chance of the Rush references being retained in the movie. I would think that most of the retro references are being replaced by things that are recognizable to a wider audience. I'll still see the movie, but my expectations are not high for it.
  • Like 1

If somebody who read the book goes to see the movie, I'd like to know what or who they replaced RUSH with.

RUSH was a major plot point in the book -- they were characters who spoke to the fictional character in the book. The fictional character had to know all about Rush to get through a specific trial/obstacle.

• Like 3

From the Hollywood Reporter...

A rollicking adventure through worlds both bleak and fantastic, Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One makes big changes to the specifics and structure of Ernest Cline's best-selling novel but keeps the spirit and level-up thrills intact. With Cline as a screenwriter alongside Zak Penn, it's not surprising that while some of the book's dorkier elements are excised — sorry, Rush fans! — their replacements display similar pop-culture obsessiveness while lending themselves more to the cinematic gifts of the man Cline surely dreamed would adapt the book.

The whole thing (book, movie, with or without Rush) sounds like shit to me.

I'm boycotting 'cause I just don't care.

Next thing for my impotent rage, please.

• Like 1

Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe Rush didn't approve of something or just decided to not allow their music to be used. I'd say the chances of that are slim that they'd not allow their music to be used because ten bucks is ten bucks, but who knows.
  • Like 3

Maybe there's more to the story. Maybe Rush didn't approve of something or just decided to not allow their music to be used. I'd say the chances of that are slim that they'd not allow their music to be used because ten bucks is ten bucks, but who knows.

I was thinking the same thing

There are a lot of things that go into having your songs and "brand" put in a movie that go beyond what a director likes or doesn't like ..

I know that Rush agreed to have Fly By Night in that Volkswagen commercial a few years back, and maybe they felt that was a mistake .. or maybe they wanted a percent or cut that Spielberg and co felt was unreasonable ....

• Like 2

The whole thing (book, movie, with or without Rush) sounds like shit to me.

I'm boycotting 'cause I just don't care.

Next thing for my impotent rage, please.

I wasn't planning on watching it until it hit Netflix. The 70s are way more nostalgic for me than the 80s are.

• Like 1