Counter windows power parts

Red3angel

Crackin album, after RTB Which i thought was great but lacking a tiny little something i genuinely feared for the future of the band but they came back with Counterparts bursting with heavier juice and blew my eyeballs out.

Just Geddy's bass in Alien Shore kept me goin for weeks

Man what an album, great days

• Like 5

One of my least favorites. The production is stellar, but the band can write so much better.
  • Like 2

Both albums are mediocre at best. They could be substantially alike but that would take another listen and life's too short.
  • Like 1

I've never been crazy about a lot of the lyrics on that one but the sound was fantastic and the last really great produced Rush album. Everything after was flawed in some way....TFE was fuzzy, we all know VT issues, and the final two Nick R albums were too layered and compressed especially Clockwork
  • Like 1

I've never been crazy about a lot of the lyrics on that one but the sound was fantastic and the last really great produced Rush album. Everything after was flawed in some way....TFE was fuzzy, we all know VT issues, and the final two Nick R albums were too layered and compressed especially Clockwork

Layered and compressed. Mmm... As a non-musician, I'm not even sure what that means, but you may have just put your finger on the impression I get from those two albums. I still like both of them, though - just something about the sound is problematic for me.

Layered and compressed. Mmm... As a non-musician, I'm not even sure what that means, but you may have just put your finger on the impression I get from those two albums. I still like both of them, though - just something about the sound is problematic for me.

Compression is a sonic effect of sorts done post-recording during mixing that "squeezes" the soundscape together. Hard to describe exactly but it makes everything sound noisy and not "breathing" . I don't know why Nick R or the band was happy with the wall of noise sound of CA. It's unlistenable past two songs in a row IMHO

By layered I mean literally just that....instead of one or two guitar or bass tracks or vocal tracks on a song there were like three of each and , again, made the songs too busy and hard to listen to. Alex admitted after Snakes came out that he may have overdone it with the multiple acoustic and electric guitars on each song

Edited by jnoble

I find myself listening to Counterparts and Test For Echo quite a bit of late. I usually skip the dog 1 and the net boy/girl 1 but other than that, I like them pretty well. Not as much as Hemispheres or Grace Under Pressure, but still quite a bit.