Positively is a rush album

Red3angel

I like Anagram for the lyrics and its clever wordplay...but not so much the music.

The lyrics are kinda fun to read. Once. It's a wordplay exercise, nothing more. It's like doing the Jumble in the Sunday paper and trying to make song lyrics out of it. Maybe just leave it as a word puzzle. Neil. That and the fact that the music is dreadfully awful make Anagram one of Rush's top five worst songs. It would be a top-five worst for the Thompson Twins.

Have I mentioned that I hate Anagram?

To paraphrase Rush' s absolute worst song:

Half the world thinks Anagram sucks donkeys while the other half thinks Anagram blows mules

To reach around the other half

Apart from the drumming this albums alternates between boring and shite.

What were they thinking?

Let's see just how devoted our fan base really is.

Presto is probably the only album that I can't find one song better than the next one. It was a bad experience at first because of the departure of the keys, but I have learned over the years to appreciate a bit more not to the same degree of their best old albums, but to some newer songs that I don't like on Vapor Trails, Snake and CWA.
  • Like 1

Apart from the drumming this albums alternates between boring and shite.

What were they thinking?

Let's see just how devoted our fan base really is.

They should have asked us to sacrifice it.

Presto is IMMENSELY overlooked. It's got a nice groove going on, and it seems to be one of the more calmer albums Rush has done.

Anagram is awesome, the use of rhythm guitar really drives the song and makes it feel good, and the piano is a nice rare occasion in a Rush song, something that just makes the song unique. Yet, the distortion guitar crunches through the song, and it all just blends well together.

Presto is a fine Rush album, I'd argue better than it's predecessor (sorry Mick). Show Don't Tell, Chain Lightning, War Paint, Presto, Red Tide, and Available Light are all top notch Rush pop rock tunes, Available Light being the obvious standout. I've never thought The Pass was that incredible, but I'll give it credit for working so well for so many people. On top of that Superconductor, while not as good as some of the other songs, isn't nearly as bad as many will tell you, and Scars is catchy and danceable as heck. The only songs I really don't care for here are Anagram and Hand Over Fist. Pointless ditties with some "clever" wordplay. Definition of filler.

Presto is my least favorite of the 'modern' Rush albums... let's say P/G forward....

That being said, The Pass is one of my top-5 favorite Rush songs, and tracks like Chain Lighting, Superconductor, Anagram are very fun. It's up against stiff competition as far as Rush rankings go, but it's still ultimately an enjoyable spin.

What a coincidence. Yesterday I played the Presto CD on random. The first song to come on was Anagram. I recall thinking to myself that it is such an underrated song. Also from an underrated album. And to agree with an earlier comment, I much prefer listening to Presto than Signals!

Presto was one of the first cds I bought and was a bad album to play on random. Poor track indexing would have the first fraction of a second play the next song before shuffling to another track. Mine was an initial Canadian pressing, I don't know if this was true other versions of the Presto cd.

As far as my opinion on the musical content - I like the album. If I were to break the catalogue into thirds A/B/C, I would slot Presto high in the B category. I much prefer it to the previous and following studio efforts HYF and RTB which are more logical comparisons rather than Signals. Or compared to the rest of the albums in this fourth phase of Rush [Presto/RTB/CP/T4E] it comes in a close second after CP.