What are you binge watching lately?

goose

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTWzPQY-yUNz14AHYnnax

A unique British comedy from the early 00s. And what made in stand out from the crowd was that the majority of the scenes were taking from the point-of-view of the character, with their thoughts played out as voice overs. (Another bonus is the lack of any canned audience laughter)

I think there were 9 series all told from 2003-2015, and I do a binge-watch at least 3 or 4 times per year and never tire of it.

We've been on a Netflix documentary series kick lately. Meltdown: Three Mile Island, Challenger: The Final Flight, and most recently Pepsi, Where's My Jet?

Strangely, despite it apparently having gotten quite a bit of news coverage in the '90s, I have no memory of ever hearing about the legal battle over the Harrier jet from the Pepsi commercial when it was happening.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 12:17 AM, goose said:

Only Murders In The Building

Good fun

My wife loved it all! I got caught up in other shows but hope to see it soon. 

• Like 1

tileburnedin?size=1280x720&partner=hboma

"The Wire" is my winter comfort food.

Despite being over 20 years old it still feels real and relevant. And the amazing thing is that this show never won a single major TV award and also suffered with relatively low viewing figures. And yet it pushed so many boundaries for its time, not least a lesbian cop and a gay gangster by the name of Omar - a kind of Baltimore version of Robin Hood, tooled up with guns and a fear-factor reputation. For me he was he stand-out character from a superb show!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, Sonatine said:

tileburnedin?size=1280x720&partner=hboma

"The Wire" is my winter comfort food.

Despite being over 20 years old it still feels real and relevant. And the amazing thing is that this show never won a single major TV award and also suffered with relatively low viewing figures. And yet it pushed so many boundaries for its time, not least a lesbian cop and a gay gangster by the name of Omar - a kind of Baltimore version of Robin Hood, tooled up with guns and a fear-factor reputation. For me he was he stand-out character from a superb show!

Omar is an all-time great character in TV history.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:54 AM, treeduck said:

american-horror-story-roanoke-2016-by-pa

My favourite season

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Interesting, that was my least favorite one, well actually the last two 10 and 11 are worse but it's 9th out of 11.

I think it's because around that time I was getting sick of reality TV. Still am really. But I'd seen enough to find the concept as used in the show fun to watch. I thought it was very unique, but I know many dislike it. I did not enjoy Hotel, which I found a meandering mess. Cult was good as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I think it's because around that time I was getting sick of reality TV. Still am really. But I'd seen enough to find the concept as used in the show fun to watch. I thought it was very unique, but I know many dislike it. I did not enjoy Hotel, which I found a meandering mess. Cult was good as well

I didn't like the whole found footage aspect and the use of TV in the story, also actors playing characters playing actors didn't work for me either.

I think with Hotel they most likely had Jessica Lange in mind for the Liz Taylor role or whatever it would have been called, but she quit so they brought Lady Gaga in for a big name replacement. She's not an actor though so she played the vampire siren role which suits her better and isn't a Lange kind of role. And the Liz Taylor role was turned into a transsexual played by Denis O'Hare, who up to that point had only played peripheral roles, like the creepy butler, the weird burned face man etc. All of this probably wasn't a good idea and had not so great results.

MV5BMmFlZjEyZjItODJkZS00MWU3LTg0MDMtZjRi

Juvenile humour set in a English high-school and focusing on 4 dysfunctional boys as they approach adulthood. 

For me it rang plenty of bells when I was in the 6th form and more interested in booze, partying, girls, booze, girls, booze, girls and perhaps just a smidge of thinking about university and a career.

Rated "15" - plenty of swearing and sexual suggestions, but nothing particular graphic. A really good laugh that just about stands the test of time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, treeduck said:

Interesting, that was my least favorite one, well actually the last two 10 and 11 are worse but it's 9th out of 11.

That's about how I would rank the bottom seasons. There's always stuff that makes you say "what the f**k are they doing?" each season and a lot of the time it's in a curious kind of way. With Roanoke, I asked that question many times out of pure disappointment in what they did.

• Like 1

30 Rock 

Still my absolute favourite TV comedy. I'm binging seasons 5 and 6 atm, as I rarely marathon start to finish. Its a joy, because I am less familiar with these seasons so its the closest I have felt in years to watching this with a fresh perspective. It's just so, so funny, and politically incorrect often in a way that still seems super relevant for now.

My other favourite show is Mad Men, totally dissimilar in tone, but also largely workplace based. I think it's fair to say I have a type 🤔 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

That's about how I would rank the bottom seasons. There's always stuff that makes you say "what the f**k are they doing?" each season and a lot of the time it's in a curious kind of way. With Roanoke, I asked that question many times out of pure disappointment in what they did.

Did you like Roanoke? I find that season is the one I most enjoy rewatching. Alongside the first four seasons, it's in my top five. I said the other day it's my favourite but the more I think about it, the more I think it's probably Asylum.