What are you binge watching lately?

goose

On 8/16/2022 at 11:12 PM, Rhyta said:

Continuing on with Babylon 5, just finished Season 3 with the big conflict between the Shadows and Vorlons coming to a head.  Season  4 is the aftermath and more troubles brewing.   Feeling JMS was very prophetic in some of his scripts, the term the Big Lie was used :unsure:  Enjoying the trip down memory lane quite a bit.

I might revisit Babylon 5 again at some point. Remember enjoying the storyline around the Vorlons and the mysterious shadows when I watched it a long time ago. 

Was just reading about the Shadows and apparently their name for their race is 10000 letters long and can only be pronounced in their language (or something like that) which I thought was amusing. 

Edited by Malignant Narcissist
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, blueschica said:

How is it? We have all the previous seasons on DVR but I just haven't ever sat down to watch it. 

It's good. Jamie looks more and more like a wimp, Beth and Rip have a crazy wedding after kidnapping a priest, and then there's murder, death, murder, death murder and fights to the finish in the pen between Walker and Lloyd! And Jimmy gets a new girlfriend and then his two girlfriends have a fight! Oh and Kevin Costner gets a new girlfriend Piper Perabo who was in Coyte Ugly, now she's added some more coyotes to her collection!

• Haha 1

At first, yes! Expensive production, great writing.

Then...why the gore and extra drama?

Then the characters really grow and the whole history-meets-today conflicts are well done (in my opinion).

Great show. Really great show. Like him or not, Kevin Costner likes to be in huge productions.

And I am waiting for the prequel to start some time in September (but like everything else, who knows when that will happen). 

If it's already on your DVR, check it out!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

Then the characters really grow and the whole history-meets-today conflicts are well done (in my opinion).

Great show. Really great show. Like him or not, Kevin Costner likes to be in huge productions.

And I am waiting for the prequel to start some time in September (but like everything else, who knows when that will happen). 

I'm watching one of the spin-off prequels next, 1883 it's called featuring Tim McGraw and Sam Elliot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

I'm watching one of the spin-off prequels next, 1883 it's called featuring Tim McGraw and Sam Elliot.

You know Laura bw and I think that the younger Sam Elliot is our dream man!  :blush:  Almost worth watching Roadhouse for (but not quite, that movie is SUCH a stinker)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

It's good. Jamie looks more and more like a wimp, Beth and Rip have a crazy wedding after kidnapping a priest, and then there's murder, death, murder, death murder and fights to the finish in the pen between Walker and Lloyd! And Jimmy gets a new girlfriend and then his two girlfriends have a fight! Oh and Kevin Costner gets a new girlfriend Piper Perabo who was in Coyte Ugly, now she's added some more coyotes to her collection!

1 hour ago, Bahamas said:

Well, that's two recommendations from people whose opinion I value, so I will have to check it out!  Sounds like a must see!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, blueschica said:

You know Laura bw and I think that the younger Sam Elliot is our dream man!  :blush:  Almost worth watching Roadhouse for (but not quite, that movie is SUCH a stinker)

Funnily enough the creator of these shows Taylor Sheridan plays a role in Yellowstone, one of those cowboys who do all the fancy riding, and at one point he tells Jimmy that the best movie of all time is Roadhouse! :laugh: That's in season 4 too!

• Haha 1

Rings of Power.

Well, I've just started it so haven't 'binged' yet per se but personally more interested in this than the Game of Thrones prequel, which I will watch at some point. Rings probably won't have the shock value but the mystery around Sauron and what happened before Rings is what I'm curious about. 

I enjoyed reading the LOTR books many years ago but only glanced at the other books (e.g. history and Silmarrillion etc) and they seemed like much heavier reading and not that enjoyable. So this series will do for someone who's being lazy in that respect.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:13 PM, treeduck said:

After watching Yellowstone (most episodes twice, a few more so) I was really looking forward to the announced prequel 1932 but now apparently 1923 - because Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren would be a great "dance" in terms of scripts, no? Then it all seemed to get convoluted and with 1883 now showing I don't subscribe to Paramount - how many streams does one need, one wonders - if one must wonder? :imo:

Thus I will wait a few months until I can see a few 1883 episodes in a row (on another streaming platform which always seems to happen, eventually) without too many interruptions - I hate watching something that is still full of advertising other shows and ruining the flow of an episode.

How is 1883? Does it feel original or more like an afterthought?  

I never even glanced at Outer Range with Josh Brolin. It looked too opportunistic, and, well Josh Brolin...you would think having Barbra Streisand as a stepmother some talent would shed off on you?

I have never been distracted with famous people being cast in certain roles - Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Jane Fonda - if it's great writing and the cast are really into their parts, I love getting carried away in it all.

I think Costner and friends really nailed the whole campy feel and some of the lesser characters still stand out for me, it was a really big show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bahamas said:

After watching Yellowstone (most episodes twice, a few more so) I was really looking forward to the announced prequel 1932 but now apparently 1923 - because Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren would be a great "dance" in terms of scripts, no? Then it all seemed to get convoluted and with 1883 now showing I don't subscribe to Paramount - how many streams does one need, one wonders - if one must wonder? :imo:

Thus I will wait a few months until I can see a few 1883 episodes in a row (on another streaming platform which always seems to happen, eventually) without too many interruptions - I hate watching something that is still full of advertising other shows and ruining the flow of an episode.

How is 1883? Does it feel original or more like an afterthought?  

I never even glanced at Outer Range with Josh Brolin. It looked too opportunistic, and, well Josh Brolin...you would think having Barbra Streisand as a stepmother some talent would shed off on you?

I have never been distracted with famous people being cast in certain roles - Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Jane Fonda - if it's great writing and the cast are really into their parts, I love getting carried away in it all.

I think Costner and friends really nailed the whole campy feel and some of the lesser characters still stand out for me, it was a really big show.

I think it's quite good. The actors do a solid job. The story is about the wagon journey from Texas to Oregon. There were a few things I didn't like though, it was a bit slow and spent too long on certain things, one full episode is about crossing this river and throwing furniture away, and they're still in Texas after 7 out of 10 episodes. Another thing the girl narrator/main character kind of has a girl power kind of thing going on, not too much but a little bit. Overall it doesn't have much to do with Yellowstone, it shows John Dutton's great-grandfather finding Paradise Valley and the spot where they build the ranch but that's right at the end. I did like the performances of Sam Elliot, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, the girl power girl and this black guy who I don't know, he was pretty good too. I would say it's good but it's not essential and not as good as Yellowstone itself.

• Like 1

Thanks for that!

And Sam Elliot, well, he's a real cool dude and I am intrigued to see him in a new show.

Edit - Watching The Old Man on Disney. Another very cool dude - and a great show, I think.

The first episode tried too hard to "paint a picture" of a very retired and geriatric James Bond type dude, but starting after the half way mark of the that first episode and into the rest of the series, brilliant. Says me.

Edited by Bahamas
Adding The Old Man
  • Like 3

Since Saturday is just made for watching toons so they say I have been bingewatching Regular Show on HBO Max. I wouldn't of guessed there would be Rush references. No joke the pilot episode has a montage that is set to a synth remix of Tom Sawyer. Word is on Reddit I should also keep my ears peeled for a rendition of Subdivisions and/or The Spirit of The Radio. 

On 9/24/2022 at 1:50 AM, Bahamas said:

Thanks for that!

And Sam Elliot, well, he's a real cool dude and I am intrigued to see him in a new show.

Edit - Watching The Old Man on Disney. Another very cool dude - and a great show, I think.

The first episode tried too hard to "paint a picture" of a very retired and geriatric James Bond type dude, but starting after the half way mark of the that first episode and into the rest of the series, brilliant. Says me.

Well yeah if you want to see Sam Elliot in a perfect western setting and a perfect role for him then you should watch it. It's got classic Sam Elliot stuff in it.

9 hours ago, Thebuckeye2112 said:

Since Saturday is just made for watching toons so they say I have been bingewatching Regular Show on HBO Max. I wouldn't of guessed there would be Rush references. No joke the pilot episode has a montage that is set to a synth remix of Tom Sawyer. Word is on Reddit I should also keep my ears peeled for a rendition of Subdivisions and/or The Spirit of The Radio. 

Bookmarking this for tomorrow, nice catch Thebuckey2112, as said in other recent posts RUSH seems to be getting more popular :geddy:

A Personal Affair, a campy murder mystery filmed in Galicia, Spain.  Cinematography captures stunning scenery, and the wardrobe and automobiles make it fun to watch.  Add Jean Reno to the mix and it gets my recommendation for sure.

Amazon Prime

On 9/24/2022 at 11:15 PM, Bahamas said:

Bookmarking this for tomorrow, nice catch Thebuckey2112, as said in other recent posts RUSH seems to be getting more popular :geddy:

Turns out that Rush References are Just the tip of the Iceberg for Regular Show, I remember watching an episode where Rigby goes back to High School to get his High School Diploma and they reference one of my favorite movies, Rushmore and my favorite film director Wes Anderson. They even included a remixed version of the iconic music from Mark Mothersbaugh who also coincidentally did the music in Regular Show as well as Wes Anderson's first four films from Bottle Rocket to The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. 

• Like 1