What are you binge watching lately?

goose

36 minutes ago, Nova Carmina said:

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

I'm not sure how to do the "hide discussion" part, so I'll just warn the still-to-watch crowd.

Had a chance to skip over it? Okay.

Can I slightly cop out and say if I were charged with the ending, I might have to go back and change lots of things to get to where I would have liked it to be, but if we just look at those last couple of episodes, I have three specific problems.

One, it was obvious that the sister was setting Marty up by lying about one of the henchmen in order to get said henchman out of the way. That she would have such specific information about that guy, just when Marty found something else, seemed awfully convenient, and if Marty has survived this long, his BS detector should have been pinging. Telegraphed.

Two, Ruth clearing land to build a big house had cop-movie "I only have three days until retirement" vibes all over it. I knew she was doomed as soon as she started having hopes and dreams, and that's disappointing writing from a show that used to surprise (Helen's death, anyone?). Telegraphed. Plus, at a moral level, Ruth was the least awful, given that the man she killed really, really deserved it. And for her to be shot by the sister (whose whole character felt like a tacked-on afterthought as a plot loophole, character-ex-machina), felt dismissive and weak.

Three, if the implication is that Jonah shot the Chicago PI (can't remember that character actor's name, but he's been good in lots of things), then that's a whole new step forward for somebody who was eager to get out of the family just days (hours? I lost track) before. And now he's committing homicide? Maybe he shot his parents -- which would have been more just, but we don't know because of the knockoff Sopranos fade-to-black ending.

I will admit that part of my problem with the last season is my moral sense of generally preferring it when the good guys win and bad guys get what's coming to them. Obviously, I know that's not how the world works, but part of the draw of fiction is that it isn't the real world, where the wicked prosper. I also get that it's possible to root for an anti-hero (I'm a huge Godfather fan, and I loved Breaking Bad!), but I don't think the Byrds were anti-heroes; they were grasping, control-freak assholes, and I wanted Ruth shoveling dirt into their shallow graves.

:goodone:

• Like 1

SPOILERS!!!

^^^

Spot on with point #1.  Marty not seeing that the sister was involved didn't line up at all with his established cleverness.  Another big plot flub was the nephew showing up to a last-minute late night meeting unprepared for a betrayal.  He was way too easy to whack.  As far as Ruth goes, she was doomed.  

I like being able to interpret the ending.  Aside from the most realistic end of everybody getting whacked, what else would be more satisfying?  My personal take is that Jonah killed his mom, or maybe himself?  But him accepting his fate as a child of sociopaths and killing the PI also makes sense.  

Pistol, the series on Hulu about the formation of the Sex Pistols.  It was pretty interesting, except for Episode 3, that was strange and could have been left out, IMO.  The music is always good to hear and an actress playing Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders is really good in it.  (She dated one of the Sex Pistols for awhile.  And ummm more.  Not one to watch with the kids.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blueschica said:

Pistol, the series on Hulu about the formation of the Sex Pistols.  It was pretty interesting, except for Episode 3, that was strange and could have been left out, IMO.  The music is always good to hear and an actress playing Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders is really good in it.  (She dated one of the Sex Pistols for awhile.  And ummm more.  Not one to watch with the kids.)

When I was a kid I watched shit like that! :ohmy::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, treeduck said:

When I was a kid I watched shit like that! :ohmy::laugh:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  I can believe it!  My husband made me laugh- walks in while Steve Jones is making out with topless Chrissie Hynde- "You didnt tell me this show was GOOD! " :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Man vs. Bee, Netflix.

The subtle brilliance of humanity when faced with unbridled torment and the unwavering determination of...

Ahem...fine.

It's presented in short Chapters. You can test the waters or binge the whole thing in about an hour. 

Heck, it felt like a brief vacation with all the craziness lately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grep said:

Serenity and Babylon 5.

What season of B5 are you at?  I just started Season 2, it has been good to see it again.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:56 PM, blueschica said:

Cringey but I'm still watching it through.  Hilarious to find it crop up on Disney.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steevo said:

Cringey but I'm still watching it through.  Hilarious to find it crop up on Disney.

I was thinking the same about Disney! I found myself wondering, did they preview this first? :biggrin:

• Haha 1

This could also be in the "What Made Your Day" thread but I'll put here instead. Found out there's a new channel called "Freevee" I can get on the Roku and it has the live action and the animated show "Corner Gas." One of my favorite shows and I don't think it's that well known outside of Canada, eh.

• Like 1

Rewatching Better Call Season, S6 Ep1-7 in anticipation of the last six episodes, recommencing tomorrow. 

It`s blown my proverbial socks off so far, and I don`t think it`s recency bias to say it supercedes Breaking Bad. :ohmy:

Continuing on rewatch of Babylon 5.  Just started Season 3 and first appearance of my favorite character  Marcus :wub:

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Weeds.

I never finished it after they move to San Francisco? I did binge like five seasons.