What are you binge watching lately?

goose

It's not quite The Sopranos good, it needs some more script polishing but I'm still only early in. Seeing Malcolm X and Adam Clayton Powell in their heyday makes it interesting viewing.

Top 3 Reasons Why 'Godfather of Harlem' Is The Best Show You're Not  Watching - SHADOW & ACT

Lots of bobs burgers.

Music docs. Recently watched Bob Dylan, miles Davis, quincy Jones,  zz top and lynyrd skynyrd

Gonna watch Clark on Netflix. Seems interesting and the music is done by Mikael akerfeldt of opeth.

Hope I did not butcher his name too badly.

And the old batman series

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:44 AM, BastillePark said:

So far it's been pretty funny.

the-pentaverate-button-1-1647463581733.j

To me, Jeremy Irons' intros were the funniest part.

1 hour ago, Nova Carmina said:

Can I say I hated the ending of Ozark, and the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off? I'm glad it's over, just out of spite.

Ranks up there with Dexter when it comes to the worst show finales ever. Is it really that hard to do? How do you f**k up your ending that bad?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nova Carmina said:

Can I say I hated the ending of Ozark, and the more I think about it, the more it pisses me off? I'm glad it's over, just out of spite.

58 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Ranks up there with Dexter when it comes to the worst show finales ever. Is it really that hard to do? How do you f**k up your ending that bad?

Can't say I'm thrilled by it either.

Spoiler

Just seems why too much beyond Jonah's evolution to suddenly become what he despised for family.

The season finale of Outer Range has me questioning if I'll come around for season two.

Outer Range - Rotten Tomatoes

12 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

Can't say I'm thrilled by it either.

Reveal hidden contents

Just seems why too much beyond Jonah's evolution to suddenly become what he despised for family.

The season finale of Outer Range has me questioning if I'll come around for season two.

Outer Range - Rotten Tomatoes

I'm not talking about a season finale though. A show can always do something to redeem itself if they have another season. But to end a series poorly when those in charge know the end is happening, is inexcusable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not talking about a season finale though. A show can always do something to redeem itself if they have another season. But to end a series poorly when those in charge know the end is happening, is inexcusable.

My reactions was,

Spoiler

"lazy Sopranos ending"

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JohnRogers said:

My reactions was,

Hide contents

"lazy Sopranos ending"

Yeah, that's what I thought! But with a gratuitous sound effect. Awful. Everything about that finale felt telegraphed or ham-handed.

We enjoyed Bosch (detective show) on A. Prime a lot and have started watching the spin off, Bosch:Legacy, on some streaming thing called Freevee. (used to be IMDB tv).  It's been good so far!  I don't care about the channel as long as it is Bosch! :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 7:13 PM, blueschica said:

We enjoyed Bosch (detective show) on A. Prime a lot and have started watching the spin off, Bosch:Legacy, on some streaming thing called Freevee. (used to be IMDB tv).  It's been good so far!  I don't care about the channel as long as it is Bosch! :biggrin:

What's the commercial interruption situation? I stream so I don't have to be interrupted by commercials, like the little people.

1 hour ago, JohnRogers said:

What's the commercial interruption situation? I stream so I don't have to be interrupted by commercials, like the little people.

Freevee is a free thing so there are a few ads, but so few I had to stop to remember. Maybe 6 or 7 minutes broken up  3 times over a whole show, maybe a little less. Not nearly as bad as on Pluto or Tubi or something like that. We tried to watch a movie once on Pluto and I almost went insane.

Edited by blueschica

1 hour ago, condemned2bfree said:

What do you think of it. Will you move on to yes Prime Minister?

Well if you look a bit further in the thread you'll see that already have. And yes it's a really good show, funny and informative. It was made in the 80's but it's totally relevant now too.

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Well if you look a bit further in the thread you'll see that already have. And yes it's a really good show, funny and informative. It was made in the 80's but it's totally relevant now too.

What's better? Minister or Prime Minister? Prefer the start, but I think Edington was getting really ill by the end so that may contribute. Love them. Hawthorne apparently had a fight with Stallone, on Demolition man.:smash:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, condemned2bfree said:

What's better? Minister or Prime Minister? Prefer the start, but I think Edington was getting really ill by the end so that may contribute. Love them. Hawthorne apparently had a fight with Stallone, on Demolition man.:smash:

I think I like the beginning best too, but I think they really had the scripts down slick by the follow-up show and so it's very close.

An actual fist fight?? I wouldn't have expected that, who won??

Coincidentally in between the two shows I watched the 1980 version of A Tale of Two Cities, with Peter Cushing and Chris Sarandon. It also stars Nigel Hawthorne as a lawyer who's chasing after this young tart.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:07 PM, treeduck said:

I think I like the beginning best too, but I think they really had the scripts down slick by the follow-up show and so it's very close.

An actual fist fight?? I wouldn't have expected that, who won??

Coincidentally in between the two shows I watched the 1980 version of A Tale of Two Cities, with Peter Cushing and Chris Sarandon. It also stars Nigel Hawthorne as a lawyer who's chasing after this young tart.

More of a war of words I think. Don't know what fuffled Stallone feathers. Hawthorne probably threatened his acting 🤔. On that Hawthorne won. 😅Ironic he's chasing a tart,😁 sublime actor, one of the best I've seen. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:10 PM, Nova Carmina said:

Yeah, that's what I thought! But with a gratuitous sound effect. Awful. Everything about that finale felt telegraphed or ham-handed.

I finally finished season 4.  I am curious, how would you have ended it?  

13 hours ago, goose said:

I finally finished season 4.  I am curious, how would you have ended it?  

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

I'm not sure how to do the "hide discussion" part, so I'll just warn the still-to-watch crowd.

Had a chance to skip over it? Okay.

Can I slightly cop out and say if I were charged with the ending, I might have to go back and change lots of things to get to where I would have liked it to be, but if we just look at those last couple of episodes, I have three specific problems.

One, it was obvious that the sister was setting Marty up by lying about one of the henchmen in order to get said henchman out of the way. That she would have such specific information about that guy, just when Marty found something else, seemed awfully convenient, and if Marty has survived this long, his BS detector should have been pinging. Telegraphed.

Two, Ruth clearing land to build a big house had cop-movie "I only have three days until retirement" vibes all over it. I knew she was doomed as soon as she started having hopes and dreams, and that's disappointing writing from a show that used to surprise (Helen's death, anyone?). Telegraphed. Plus, at a moral level, Ruth was the least awful, given that the man she killed really, really deserved it. And for her to be shot by the sister (whose whole character felt like a tacked-on afterthought as a plot loophole, character-ex-machina), felt dismissive and weak.

Three, if the implication is that Jonah shot the Chicago PI (can't remember that character actor's name, but he's been good in lots of things), then that's a whole new step forward for somebody who was eager to get out of the family just days (hours? I lost track) before. And now he's committing homicide? Maybe he shot his parents -- which would have been more just, but we don't know because of the knockoff Sopranos fade-to-black ending.

I will admit that part of my problem with the last season is my moral sense of generally preferring it when the good guys win and bad guys get what's coming to them. Obviously, I know that's not how the world works, but part of the draw of fiction is that it isn't the real world, where the wicked prosper. I also get that it's possible to root for an anti-hero (I'm a huge Godfather fan, and I loved Breaking Bad!), but I don't think the Byrds were anti-heroes; they were grasping, control-freak assholes, and I wanted Ruth shoveling dirt into their shallow graves.

• Like 1