The Synth Era dosen't get half the love it deserves from Rush fans and the band itself

fraroc

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this forum but I became a Rush fan in the early 90s. So I was already familiar with how their sound changed during the synth era because of the songs the radio played. So, there was no drop in fandom for me when I first heard those albums. But I can see why long time fans who liked the guitar driven stuff were turned off by it.

Because the synth progression was smooth and gradual they kept most of their fan base. Gaining new fans to offset the loss of the long haired, denim jacket wearing, knuckle draggers they lost. Those new fans would go back through the catalog learning the songs of the great Broon Era.

Long Haired,denim jacket wearing knuckle draggers? What an idiot.

No kidding. Not everyone had long hair.

I rocked the denim jacket through the 80’s, I had 27 inches of hair cut off in 1995 at basic training. I’m just saying I saw less and less of the metal heads at Rush shows after GUP. Their loss. I’m sure the White Lion show on the same night was worth skipping another Rush concert.

White Lion... :facepalm:

I am falling in love with the 80s era Rush. I own Permanent Waves, MP, Signals, and the last album of 2010s, CA. I tend to lean into the 80s Rush more now because of the way that Geddy sings, his mid range vocals are on firm tune on these albums. I grown to love this era more than the 90s or even 2000 era of Rush. It bring everything into view of what they tried to do in those years. I for one think that the 1980s Rush get so overlooked by a few fans just because it was not the 1970s Rush where poor Geddy was using his so high vocals in them. Sure, I loved "2112" (It is my most top 10 albums!!) but I feel that that song get wayyyy overplayed too much to the point of looking for other albums by Rush to listen to. I so much enjoyed "GUP" and "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire". I also think that Geddy in the "Power Windows" looks liked he would've been in another band-Hair Metal!!! For that, I somewhat forgive him with that hair of his. :laughing guy:The music vid of "The Big Money" tends to make me laugh so hard I cant take Ged's looks anymore!!

I wished I was alive to see the one from the Grace Under Pressure tour. I think they were amazing!!!

• Like 2

Every single Rush documentary, or brief written history of the band glosses over the best period of the band like "meh, it happened. Subdivisions was the big radio hit in the early to mid 80s after Tom Sawyer. Geddy's hair looked like a Davy Crockett hat, Whatever. Now let's talk about how great Counterparts is and how it's superior to every record that came out from 82 to 92."

Hell, even most Rush tribute bands do a very 90s and 70s heavy show and only do like 2-3 synth era songs at the max.

You know what? f**k that. It's time the synth era got the love it deserves from Rush fans. Geddy's bass playing and singing were at it's peak around that period, Geddy was multitasking between two different instruments effortlessly, Alex's chord structure became even more unorthodox and interesting. The music was very similar to the new wave groups of that era, but elevated to a much higher level. It was intricate, palatable, the songs weren't too long or drawn out, it was the perfect era for Rush.

I would rather hear all of Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows in it's entirety than Hemispheres.

I needed a good laugh today :laughing yellow guy:
  • Like 2

Every single Rush documentary, or brief written history of the band glosses over the best period of the band like "meh, it happened. Subdivisions was the big radio hit in the early to mid 80s after Tom Sawyer. Geddy's hair looked like a Davy Crockett hat, Whatever. Now let's talk about how great Counterparts is and how it's superior to every record that came out from 82 to 92."

Hell, even most Rush tribute bands do a very 90s and 70s heavy show and only do like 2-3 synth era songs at the max.

You know what? f**k that. It's time the synth era got the love it deserves from Rush fans. Geddy's bass playing and singing were at it's peak around that period, Geddy was multitasking between two different instruments effortlessly, Alex's chord structure became even more unorthodox and interesting. The music was very similar to the new wave groups of that era, but elevated to a much higher level. It was intricate, palatable, the songs weren't too long or drawn out, it was the perfect era for Rush.

I would rather hear all of Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows in it's entirety than Hemispheres.

Hahahaha! Holy Hemispheres!

As I do love both of those albums and luckily I saw both tours as a teenager with a little bit of gold and a pager.......

If the Universe gave me the blueprints to build a rock and roll time machine. I would solely build that beautiful titanium machine just to go back and see the "Hemispheres" Tour.

Did Rush ever do "Hemispheres" all the way through?

• Like 1

Hahahaha! Holy Hemispheres!

As I do love both of those albums and luckily I saw both tours as a teenager with a little bit of gold and a pager.......

If the Universe gave me the blueprints to build a rock and roll time machine. I would solely build that beautiful titanium machine just to go back and see the "Hemispheres" Tour.

Did Rush ever do "Hemispheres" all the way through?

I would jump right in that time machine with you.... The Tour of the Hemispheres was jaw-break, dumb-founding, stratospheric and literally mind-blowing. I was 17 and ill-prepared for what I was about to experience. What a masterpiece Hemispheres is. . . and that tour is, to this day, the most thrilling of any of their 17 shows I was privileged to witness.

Permanent Waves is the Power Windows version of HEMIspheres.

Permanent Waves is the Power Windows version of HEMIspheres.

Power Windows is the Steel Wave version of Permanent Kings. Edited by tks95747

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this forum but I became a Rush fan in the early 90s. So I was already familiar with how their sound changed during the synth era because of the songs the radio played. So, there was no drop in fandom for me when I first heard those albums. But I can see why long time fans who liked the guitar driven stuff were turned off by it.
Because the synth progression was smooth and gradual they kept most of their fan base. Gaining new fans to offset the loss of the long haired, denim jacket wearing, knuckle draggers they lost. Those new fans would go back through the catalog learning the songs of the great Broon Era.
I rocked the denim jacket through the 80’s, I had 27 inches of hair cut off in 1995 at basic training. I’m just saying I saw less and less of the metal heads at Rush shows after GUP. Their loss. I’m sure the White Lion show on the same night was worth skipping another Rush concert.
A couple of their tunes were decent. Bratta was a really good guitar player too...To me, WL doesn't compete w/any Rush, old or new (Except VT :boo hiss: )
  • Like 1

A couple of their tunes were decent. Bratta was a really good guitar player too...To me, WL doesn't compete w/any Rush, old or new (Except VT :boo hiss: )

Holy White Lion Shit!! Vito getting some love on a Rush Thread!! This is a day for the Ages!!!

I LOVE WHITE LION!! I know Tramp can be a bit cheesy but f it! VITO RULES!!!!

We all know RUSH is the "Mane Attraction" on here yet in my mind White Lion is some serious "BIG GAME!" LOL

• Like 1

Power Windows is a much better album than Hemispheres. Permanent Waves until Hold your Fire is Rush at their very best.

I spat my coke out thru my nose... :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
  • Like 1

Power Windows is a much better album than Hemispheres. Permanent Waves until Hold your Fire is Rush at their very best.

I think you're doing it wrong...

• Like 1

I think you're doing it wrong...

That may be even funnier than PermanentMovingSignals' post :laughing guy:

I guess I really like the synthesizer era, since I recently ranked my top twenty Rush songs and four of them were from Power Windows. No other album placed more songs in my top twenty.
  • Like 1

I guess I really like the synthesizer era, since I recently ranked my top twenty Rush songs and four of them were from Power Windows. No other album placed more songs in my top twenty.

I like the Synth Era too...I just love the 74-79 Era far better. :rush:
  • Like 1

77-87 was the absolute peak of Rush and my favorite era hands down. That decade was the definition of what made them the godfathers of progressive rock music.

Look at the evolution!

AFTK

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Power Windows

Hold Your Fire

Simply mind blowing progression and evolution of sound, playing, production, songwriting, lyrics.

Mind f***ing blowing.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Being a keyboard player, the synth era was my favourite also, and although technically there is nothing challenging to play the use of textures and light and shade brought another dimension to the sound. The songs were stronger, with some great melodies and poignant lyrics, and the sound was balanced to serve the whole piece, not simply to serve an ego and to see who could sound the biggest, which for me is why some of the later albums sound messy.

Nearly all tribute bands won't touch anything before Signals and many of those stop at Moving Pictures. so as a rule I won't bother with them because that's not exactly my idea of a good time..

I don't understand your statement at all. Won't touch anything before Signal? and stop at moving Pictures? Moving Pictures was before Signals so you already cancelled that out with your first statement. So all tribute bands play Signals and only Signals. LOL I am in a Rush Tribute band and we play MOSTLY songs before Signals. We are looking to add a few of the post Signals songs but the audiences we play to seem to like 2112 through Signals. We can play Dreamline, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A but that is about as far as I can go. I love our setlist!

Set 1

Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions

Limelight

Entrée Nous*

Camera Eye*

New World Man

XYZ

Jacob’s Ladder

Set2

R30

Tom Sawyer

Closer to the Heart*

Broon’s Bain*

The Trees*

Xanadu**

Analog Kid

Freewill

Red Barchetta

Overature/Temples

(Encore)

La Villa Strangiato*

Yeah well guess what....I challenge you.

Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, Digital Man, All parts of Fear, Open Secrets, Mission.

Then you'll live up to your name :)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmckgwl1sr1qfc55k.gif

Barnabas!

Power Windows is WAY better than HYF. I copped wood from the CA setlist; not only did they play most of CA, their best albums in decades, but rotated 5 songs from PoW in the setlist. The closing show on the tour was in KC and it was the best I've ever seen them--they were on fire and I had goose bumps that night.