Remember cereal box toys?

toymaker

Those were the good old days. Today the most you get are stupid download codes.

Does anyone remember the air balloons and zip-strip race cars you'd get in boxes of Shreddies? There was one that was a little plastic submarine that you put baking soda in, and it would dive and surface when you put it in water.

I'm trying to remember other cool stuff that came in the box - salad bowls full of cereal on the kitchen table so you could get to the bottom . . .

• Like 7

Those were the good old days. Today the most you get are stupid download codes.

Does anyone remember the air balloons and zip-strip race cars you'd get in boxes of Shreddies? There was one that was a little plastic submarine that you put baking soda in, and it would dive and surface when you put it in water.

I'm trying to remember other cool stuff that came in the box - salad bowls full of cereal on the kitchen table so you could get to the bottom . . .

Exactly! We would do the same thing- dump out all the cereal to get to the prize. My mom would always take it out of the salad bowl and put it back in the box and make us finish it! :LOL: :LOL: The submarine sounds cool- not sure I ever got one of those. I mainly remember little cars. :heart:

• Like 2

Yup, code rings, actual parts of the box that would play on a phonograph, 3D glasses you would cut out and use on an upcoming movie playing on the TV....Halloween masks, All the 'machines' from the 'Wacky Races' cartoon, and the TV tie ins of cereal products to cartoon series... I remember the cars too. I wanted the Ford Mustang that was one of the cars...mine was light blue...

UDc94Dt.jpgGHf4SAp.jpggw0uRNj.jpg

9htZfry.jpgsnmblCr.jpgHIcJ1Tg.jpg

All sorts of plastic, paper and card board stuff in cereal boxes or addresses to send money for larger items...

8QEEqRn.jpg

• Like 4

I remember that from when I was a kid. I can't remember when exactly it stopped. I guess someone decided it was more important to have a gluten free label on the box than for us to have a little fun with breakfast.

Surely, it wasn’t about the gluten free label but more about laws regarding how to advertise towards kids. That is, I assume there are laws now which state they can’t put a free toy (to entice tykes) in a box of sugary cereal. I’d also guess that the free toys stopped within the last 20-25 years.

“Stop luring my kid with toys in that playful box of colorful sugar loops because I’m too weak of a parent to tell him ‘no’ .” :P

• Like 3

Little plastic snap-together cars, divers with a submarine (the diver hooked to the sub, they would descend together and when they hit bottom the diver would detach and the sub would ascend back up to the surface). Tiny telescopes, compasses, I even remember a styrofoam kite that came in a box of Lucky Charms. You put it together and tied to a spool of thread and it worked great, even in light breezes. Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 2

Yup, code rings, actual parts of the box that would play on a phonograph, 3D glasses you would cut out and use on an upcoming movie playing on the TV....Halloween masks, All the 'machines' from the 'Wacky Races' cartoon, and the TV tie ins of cereal products to cartoon series... I remember the cars too. I wanted the Ford Mustang that was one of the cars...mine was light blue...

All sorts of plastic, paper and card board stuff in cereal boxes or addresses to send money for larger items...

8QEEqRn.jpg

Third pic from the top are the sub & diver I was talking about in my last post! Thanks for posting it, ORF-man!

• Like 2

Toys in cereal are just another thing that kids today are missing out on. I remember making my mother buy cereal either I didn't even like or was totally not good for me just to get the toy.
  • Like 2

I certainly do remember those days, but I'm darned if I can remember what the prizes were now - seems like such a long time ago...

Hey, I turn 60 in May, and I REMEMBER IT ALL! I googled it and I remembered every toy I'd seen or remembered from seeing it in my youth.lol

If it didn't come in the box or ON the box, I never got one...

eY9bECC.gif

• Like 2

8QEEqRn.jpg

Third pic from the top are the sub & diver I was talking about in my last post! Thanks for posting it, ORF-man!

Yup, since it was the first sub I found, I figured that might be it. I myself never got a sub, but then, my partents got me the Seaview rubber band powered first set of the type.

mr56MHP.jpgMine came with the submarine only.

4zJ1lAX.gif

• Like 1

Just had a MST3K moment on NCIS season 2....had a pic of a victims face morphing into her skull, while a local LEO was speaking...made me think of one of the Bots commenting...LOL

qtARwcZ.gif

Wow all those toys. I don't have any of them. Cheerios still give out little books here and there, I have one of those (surprise, surprise :LOL:)

As kids we were only allowed to have sugary cereal the week of our birthday, or however long the box lasted.

• Like 4

I can't seem to find a picture of the little air balloon toy. It was a little plastic basket that you'd attach a balloon to, and the air would seep out slowly so the thing would go floating around the room. Very cool.
  • Like 2

I bought a box of Boo-Berry cereal for the Star Wars sticker inside. The sticker was awesome and the cereal was awful.

There used to be fairly large plastic figurines in those big bags of puffed rice. Cowboy, Indian, soldier, knight, that kinda thing.

And lest we forget all those little ceramic tea figurines that littered windowsills everywhere, from Red Rose tea I believe.

Or those little animal information cards, or those crude 3-D cards that seemed to move when you flicked them left to right.

Or or or

The records were the most fun. Bobby Sherman/Bobby Curtola! A double shot of Bobby with your Frosted Flakes! :LOL:

• Like 3

Yes I used to have them.

Small animals, airplanes, flowers, cartoon characters or pins.

Cute and funny stuff.

Nowadays it's totally virtual.

I disagree technology should take over all we've got, including in childhood.

• Like 2