Next "40th Anniversary" release?

Jaminbenb

Kinda hoping for a Hemisphere's release...not as much cover band stuff, but maybe a live release from that tour with (finally) a whole "Book II" version....

I'm still hoping for an "Archives" 40th anniversary release with live stuff (and out takes) from the "early years"! Would be cool to finally hear some official stuff from that era.

• Like 2

I dunno...I'm guessing that they will go in succession, but I'm still bummed that they didn't do earlier stuff. They HAVE to know that the majority of the fans want more early stuff from the pre-2112 days..... hard to say.
  • Like 2

Maybe the owners of the catalogue - Oyl of Olay or whatever they're called - will, in the interests of making huge sums of money, actually listen to what the fans are clamoring for.

Because for every Rush fan who says "I'm not buying that cash-grab piece o' crap," there are two more who say "f**k YEAH I'm gettin' that!"

• Like 2

I'm still hoping for an "Archives" 40th anniversary release with live stuff (and out takes) from the "early years"! Would be cool to finally hear some official stuff from that era.

A 40th anniversary deluxe reissue of "Archives" would be very cool, great choice Jaminbenb!

When they released the 2012 deluxe edition of 2112, the bonus disc had a performance of A Passage To Bangkok recorded at the Manchester Apollo June 17th 1980 .... And to my ( admittedly limited ) knowledge, that is the only song they've released from that June 17th show .. You gotta think that they recorded the entire show .... That version of Passage sounds great, and I cannot believe that they hauled all that recording equipment there just for one track ..

Same goes for the 1981 recording of Overture and Temples at the Northlands Coliseum ..

Point being, I believe that Rush has a lot of live stuff still yet to be released or even heard ..

How about a 40th anniversary Permanent Waves with a full demo version of Sir Gawain And The Green Knight ?? It was recorded as a demo sometime around July of 1979

• Like 3

A 40th anniversary deluxe reissue of "Archives" would be very cool, great choice Jaminbenb!

:yes:

In the “Why not a 40th anniversary of CoS?” thread...

They might be better off doing the 40th anniversary of Archives...which is next year!

I dunno...I'm guessing that they will go in succession, but I'm still bummed that they didn't do earlier stuff. They HAVE to know that the majority of the fans want more early stuff from the pre-2112 days..... hard to say.

I shudder to think what Rush or Caress outtakes sound like tyvm.

They'll definitely continue through MP, and I would bet they'd also do one for Signals, but a 40th box for GuP...idk if they'll go down that path, it might lead to a 40th box for like, RTB, and I can't see that doing too well.

It was recorded as a demo sometime around July of 1979

yes, yes all of PeW was. And that fact is much more important than when it was released.

• Like 1

It was recorded as a demo sometime around July of 1979

yes, yes all of PeW was. And that fact is much more important than when it was released.

My understanding is that Sir Gawain was scrapped before the proper demos were recorded. Those self recorded tapes from the writing sessions would be the Rush Holy Grail, but I doubt those exist anymore.

• Like 1

Preparing myself now....

hmmm, am I willing to shell out $129 for a 5.1 mix of Hemispheres by Steven Wilson and a bunch of other stuff that I already have and/or I don't really care for and LPs that I won't ever play?

and then the answer comes

it was a "no" for Kings, and so it will be for Hemispheres
Edited by cygnify

Hemispheres has many bootlegs which have amazing quality to them, but an official one would be cool also.

Signals on the other hand has little to no bootlegs (which I am not sure why) but I would wish they do an anniversary for that in the far future

Hemispheres == boots from 33 dates

Signals == boots from 47 dates

• Like 2

When they released the 2012 deluxe edition of 2112, the bonus disc had a performance of A Passage To Bangkok recorded at the Manchester Apollo June 17th 1980 .... And to my ( admittedly limited ) knowledge, that is the only song they've released from that June 17th show .. You gotta think that they recorded the entire show .... That version of Passage sounds great, and I cannot believe that they hauled all that recording equipment there just for one track ..

Same goes for the 1981 recording of Overture and Temples at the Northlands Coliseum ..

Point being, I believe that Rush has a lot of live stuff still yet to be released or even heard ..

How about a 40th anniversary Permanent Waves with a full demo version of Sir Gawain And The Green Knight ?? It was recorded as a demo sometime around July of 1979

There was live version of "The Spirit of Radio" from that same show released for Guitar Hero a few years ago. So we know that show and the two Glasgow dates are in the vaults. One would hope that the full shows used to create the St. Louis '80 broadcast still exist as well.

• Like 1

Interviewers who are lucky enough to get a sit-down with either Geddy or Alex (or both) often ask about "unreleased studio material". Their answer, for years, has been "There's nothing."

If only these interviewers would ask, "What about unreleased LIVE material?" Because there's got to be loads of that. And I'm talking about songs which have never appeared on any live release.

We know that on the recent 40th 2112 release, they included a live version of "Twilight Zone". Unfortunately, that version is "sped up" so Geddy sounds even more squeaky-mouse like than usual (for the time.) Why they didn't work on that song and bring the speed down to normal? Too much work and too little money?

Years ago I went through all the lists of songs performed during all the Rush tours and came up with a list of all the songs played live but that never appeared on any Live album. There were many. Perhaps I'll go through the lists again and post the names of those songs.

• Like 1

If Hemispheres is next i wonder what nonsense Hugh Syme will come up with for the cover.A naked goblin gesturing to an alien on a sea of brain cells all in 3D perhaps. Edited by grasbo

Hemispheres has many bootlegs which have amazing quality to them, but an official one would be cool also.

Signals on the other hand has little to no bootlegs (which I am not sure why) but I would wish they do an anniversary for that in the far future

Hemispheres == boots from 33 dates

Signals == boots from 47 dates

Yeah but Ron you know there are no soundboard boots among the Signals recordings and even the best audience tapes from the Signals tour don't sound great. You would know better than I but iirc Long Island/London/Amsterdam were the best of the Signals tapes and I don't think they sound as good as Vancouver/Chicago or Boston tapes let alone the soundboards from Tucson/Frankfurt/Detroit.

Signals is an underrepresented tour of high quality live recordings

• Like 2

If Hemispheres is next i wonder what nonsense Hugh Syme will come up with for the cover.A naked goblin gesturing to an alien on a sea of brain cells all in 3D perhaps.

Given that it's one of their worst album covers anything should be an improvement.

If Hemispheres is next i wonder what nonsense Hugh Syme will come up with for the cover.A naked goblin gesturing to an alien on a sea of brain cells all in 3D perhaps.

Given that it's one of their worst album covers anything should be an improvement.

I think the artwork is cool.

rush-_-hemispheres.jpg?w=1280

• Like 3