Slayer farewell tour

Permanent-Rush

my favorite youtube music review recently mentioned he was super hyped to go see Slayer's farewell tour. Like good for him and Slayer I guess, but the consensus seems to be that this probably won't be an incredible tour for them and that they're really just too old for it at this point, right? Am I missing something here?
  • Like 1

I haven't seen them in five or six years but from what I've gathered they still deliver live. The only complaints I come across are usually about Tom struggling to sing some of the old stuff. Old school fans also miss that he doesn't headbang like crazy as he use to but he had to have neck surgery and can't do that anymore. My issue isn't with their live performance. It's that since Devine Intervention they've largely been on autopilot creatively. Each album since then has good songs but they haven't done much of note musically in over 20 years. A lot of the other thrash metal bands from that time have had late career creative resurgences but Slayer never did and didn't evolve much.
  • Like 1

The thing about Slayer is in 1986 they were the heaviest metal band in the world, now they're not even in the top 100!

Excellent point Pat. I would rather listen to DEATH ANGEL! FUCKK SLAYER! SLAMER

Death Angel? ������

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH8nfDIOkFk

Death Angel are great. Some of you Rush fans can certainly appreciate this right?

I think their drummer was about 16 when they recorded this. :haz:

• Like 1

I'm a huge Slayer fan and was pretty bummed when Jeff died. Jeff was the better guitar player in Slayer's heyday, but let alcohol and probably other stuff effect his playing by the mid-90's on. Their live sound became unfocused and blurred at times when I saw them--just watch Jeff's picking wrist in the 80's and early 90's; short strokes and tight. Then he began strumming with his elbow and wrist like a big u-joint. I've seen Slayer a dozen time and once Gary Holt began filling in, their live sound got WAY tighter.

But it's probably time to hang it up. I've skipped their concerts numerous times in the last decade, but will definitely see this tour if the second leg comes to KC. I hope Anthrax is still on the bill--they are one of the tightest metal bands I've ever seen and I've seen them several times since the '87 ATL Tour. But their last album still sucked.

LONG LIVE SLAYER!!!

I haven't seen them in five or six years but from what I've gathered they still deliver live. The only complaints I come across are usually about Tom struggling to sing some of the old stuff. Old school fans also miss that he doesn't headbang like crazy as he use to but he had to have neck surgery and can't do that anymore. My issue isn't with their live performance. It's that since Devine Intervention they've largely been on autopilot creatively. Each album since then has good songs but they haven't done much of note musically in over 20 years. A lot of the other thrash metal bands from that time have had late career creative resurgences but Slayer never did and didn't evolve much.

I think that Christ Illusion was a bit of a late career highlight, but overall, you´re right. The problem with them is what most thrash bands which started in the 80´s eventually included more melody in their sound, Slayer bet on brutality, and you can only do so much with that...especially as you get older.

• Like 1

The second leg of this tour starts soon and I'll be seeing them on August 3rd. The resellers are starting to drop their prices now that the show is getting closer and I'll snag something cheap soon.

I like Anthrax, Testament and Lamb Of God much more than Slayer but it should still be a fun show.

• Like 1

I know they've got a few bands opening for them, but a 5 p.m. start isn't very metal.

Neither is the 11 o'clock curfew these amphitheaters have. Still have no clue why a tour like this wasn't booked in general admission venues.

• Like 1

show no mercy is pretty underrated - they still have a NWOBHM influence at that point, and audible bass. of course the band hates it. it lacks the dream theater production that seems to be a dealbreaker for people who post here

I'm going to the atlanta show, it was cheap and I'd like to cross slayer and anthrax off my list. it's a shame lamb of god gets like 9 songs, but I get it - they wants dads to buy their kids a ticket. hopefully I'm drunk enough that they don't sound like leftover farts from a pantera studio session anymore

and hey, testament are playing a few songs from new order, so that won't be too dull. I was bored for half of their set in 2013. actually just thinking about that show makes me wish overkill were playing

Saw this show on Friday and it was very good. Napalm Death was garbage though. Just a bunch of unintelligible noise with no groove. Their vocalist looks like such a dork and was wearing grandpa clothes. Not sure why Behemoth wasn't on this leg but they would have been much better to see.

Testament was ok. I'm a big fan but they only had about a half hour. They did six songs and that was it. Just when it felt like things were getting going they were done.

Anthrax was next and the crowd had filled up pretty good for them. They got a great response. They played mainly the standard fan favorites which the crowd ate up. Evil Twin sounded great. Makes me wish I could have seen them on the tour for their last album so I could have heard a few more off it. Joey sounded great for a guy who's pushing 60. I wonder if anyone ask him what if feels like to be the only singer on this tour lol.

Lamb Of God was next. Now 10-15 years ago I loved them but a lot of their material has not aged well for me. Still the songs they played all came off great. They got about the same response as Anthrax which gives you an idea of their placement in the metal world right now. They could have switched slots with Anthrax and I don't think it would have been a big deal to anybody. Not sure how Randy can still growl and scream like he does. I figured his voice would be shot a lot earlier than other vocalists. I guess what he does comes natural to him because he still sounds good.

Slayer came on and well, slayed. They sounded fantastic. Lots of cool lighting and plenty of fire. They did a good job of trying to represent every album. Obviously the older stuff was the highlight. The crowd singing along with Seasons In The Abyss and Dead Skin Mask is always great. The intro to Hell Awaits and the main riff for Raining Blood are just HOLY f**k live.

I know a lot of people are saying they don't think Slayer is really done after this tour. But after the last song the rest of the band left the stage and Tom just stood there by himself looking at the crowd for a few minutes. It seemed like he wanted to soak everything in one last time. There was a look on his face that had me believing this is really it for them. The rest of the band came out for one final bow but Tom stayed on stage for another minute by himself. So going by that, I think Slayer is done.

Except for the first band this was a very enjoyable no bullshit night of metal.

• Like 3

Saw this show on Friday and it was very good. Napalm Death was garbage though. Just a bunch of unintelligible noise with no groove. Their vocalist looks like such a dork and was wearing grandpa clothes. Not sure why Behemoth wasn't on this leg but they would have been much better to see.

Testament was ok. I'm a big fan but they only had about a half hour. They did six songs and that was it. Just when it felt like things were getting going they were done.

Anthrax was next and the crowd had filled up pretty good for them. They got a great response. They played mainly the standard fan favorites which the crowd ate up. Evil Twin sounded great. Makes me wish I could have seen them on the tour for their last album so I could have heard a few more off it. Joey sounded great for a guy who's pushing 60. I wonder if anyone ask him what if feels like to be the only singer on this tour lol.

Lamb Of God was next. Now 10-15 years ago I loved them but a lot of their material has not aged well for me. Still the songs they played all came off great. They got about the same response as Anthrax which gives you an idea of their placement in the metal world right now. They could have switched slots with Anthrax and I don't think it would have been a big deal to anybody. Not sure how Randy can still growl and scream like he does. I figured his voice would be shot a lot earlier than other vocalists. I guess what he does comes natural to him because he still sounds good.

Slayer came on and well, slayed. They sounded fantastic. Lots of cool lighting and plenty of fire. They did a good job of trying to represent every album. Obviously the older stuff was the highlight. The crowd singing along with Seasons In The Abyss and Dead Skin Mask is always great. The intro to Hell Awaits and the main riff for Raining Blood are just HOLY f**k live.

I know a lot of people are saying they don't think Slayer is really done after this tour. But after the last song the rest of the band left the stage and Tom just stood there by himself looking at the crowd for a few minutes. It seemed like he wanted to soak everything in one last time. There was a look on his face that had me believing this is really it for them. The rest of the band came out for one final bow but Tom stayed on stage for another minute by himself. So going by that, I think Slayer is done.

I'm no huge Slayer fan, but from what interviews I've seen I agree this does seem like the end of the road for them. I think Tom's been feeling like he doesn't get to spend enough time with his family for a long time now, and without Jeff and without a brand new record to tour, he probably doesn't see the point in continuing.

• Like 1

show no mercy is pretty underrated - they still have a NWOBHM influence at that point, and audible bass. of course the band hates it. it lacks the dream theater production that seems to be a dealbreaker for people who post here

Show No Mercy is a really good album.

• Like 1

you ever notice james labrie is wearing a napalm death shirt in the pull me under music video?

barney greenway actually jammed with dream theater once, they covered damage inc. apparently he was an early supporter of the band

I don't know what napalm's setlist is, I haven't followed anything they've done after the early 90s, but I love harmony corruption - it's no less melodic than reign in blood. I dig the early stuff too with lee dorian on vocals. I will say I saw napalm death with the melvins in 2016 and I could not tell when most songs ended or began. about 30 minutes sounds like a perfect blast of f***ed up noise though. that's about my ideal testament set as well, just wish they were doing more legacy/new order stuff

• Like 1

by the time LOG hits the stage I should have enough 12 dollar budweisers in me to get into it

I enjoy a fair bit of modern metal but I could never really get into LoG fully but I saw them live and they were terrific

• Like 2

Reading between the lines from various interviews it seems Arraya and King don’t much like each other.

I NEVER put ANY stock in what journalists think. It IS after all THEIR OPINION, and not FACT. Journalism is all about the WRITER NOT the SUBJECT.

rutnvaj.gif

you ever notice james labrie is wearing a napalm death shirt in the pull me under music video?

barney greenway actually jammed with dream theater once, they covered damage inc. apparently he was an early supporter of the band

I don't know what napalm's setlist is, I haven't followed anything they've done after the early 90s, but I love harmony corruption - it's no less melodic than reign in blood. I dig the early stuff too with lee dorian on vocals. I will say I saw napalm death with the melvins in 2016 and I could not tell when most songs ended or began. about 30 minutes sounds like a perfect blast of f***ed up noise though. that's about my ideal testament set as well, just wish they were doing more legacy/new order stuff

I haven't seen that video in years. I forgot LaBrie was wearing a shirt of them. We all like a few shit bands so whatever. I guess the problem is that while Napalm Death is a name I've known forever, I never heard anything from them until this show. Hearing a death metal band for the first time like that can really make things sound like noise since I have no way to tell what song is what unless they stop for a minute which they did a couple times. It's not really my style of metal either.

by the time LOG hits the stage I should have enough 12 dollar budweisers in me to get into it

I enjoy a fair bit of modern metal but I could never really get into LoG fully but I saw them live and they were terrific

I get the complaints about them being Pantera clones which they are in a lot of ways. But they do have their own identity in the songs. I know a lot of people don't dig Randy's vocals which I understand as well. But their songs have a great groove to them that works wonderfully live. I'm nowhere as into them as I used to be but they're one of those bands that I will always see live when given the chance to. That's how good they are.

I haven't seen that video in years. I forgot LaBrie was wearing a shirt of them. We all like a few shit bands so whatever. I guess the problem is that while Napalm Death is a name I've known forever, I never heard anything from them until this show. Hearing a death metal band for the first time like that can really make things sound like noise since I have no way to tell what song is what unless they stop for a minute which they did a couple times. It's not really my style of metal either.

I can agree with this. I'm a fan of death metal and I remember being pretty disappointed when I saw deicide several years ago for that reason. shitty acoustics

I agree