Grace Under Pressure withstands the test of time !

toscanobarga

With Sting let me put it this way.While not having the chops of Ged or Nathan he is not that far behind,its just that his playing is subtle and just right for the music.If i recall the reason he bought in Nathan East was to get a different style and sound,just like you might bring in Clapton for one session and van Halen for another.Having said that i am no great fan of Stings music but i respect him as a bass player.Anyway just listening to Grace now.Brilliant.

It was the first album I bought by the band and didn't love it the first time I heard it. Over time, it grew on me. But it's not on par with it's three immediate predecessors. It is better than anything that came after it until either CA or maybe S&A (which I personally love).

With Sting let me put it this way.While not having the chops of Ged or Nathan he is not that far behind,its just that his playing is subtle and just right for the music.If i recall the reason he bought in Nathan East was to get a different style and sound,just like you might bring in Clapton for one session and van Halen for another.Having said that i am no great fan of Stings music but i respect him as a bass player.Anyway just listening to Grace now.Brilliant.

With respect if you think that Stings chops on bass are not far behind Geddys or Nathan East i'm afraid you're very disillusioned, they're on a different level entirely, sorry that's a ridiculous statement!

Grace Under Pressure is an outstanding album...the whole thing from start to finish. Unique sound that instantly identifiable w/ just a few notes. I loved it from the start. And hearing anything off that album played live is immediately nostalgic for me...takes me back. The triptych of The Enemy Within, The Body Electric and Kid Gloves cinches it. It's one of those song sequences that sometime prompts me to repeat listening. Nothing I don't love about this album.
  • Like 2

With respect if you think that Stings chops on bass are not far behind Geddys or Nathan East i'm afraid you're very disillusioned, they're on a different level entirely, sorry that's a ridiculous statement! Well i am a bassist /guitarist playing over 40 years so i know a little.Did i say Stings playing is subtle?Sure he has never done a YYZ.Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he 's a not much chop.He is certainly more than average.As i said i don't have much time for his music but a certain band who had a song called Digital Man were very influenced by a certain band who had a hit with Walking on the Moon.Just my humble opinion

Edited by grasbo

Don't know how my quote got mixed up inthe previous post.Anyway Geddy rules,Stings ok and Primus(Les) sucks. :geddy:

A good solid album with crap production. Those songs come alive and sparkle onstage. But the record is drab and flat. The Enemy Within, Distant Early Warning, Kid Gloves and Red Lenses are great. Red Sector A is good too. The only stinker is Between the Wheels. I know everyone around here loves that one but it never clicked with me.

I always thought the album sounded "grey" (which is probably my way of saying "drab and flat").

I think the stinker track is "The Body Electric".

I didn't appreciate "Between the Wheels" that much until I heard a live version and thought: "wow, that's some pretty intense emotionally gut-wrenching guitar playing".

This album just has that early '80s "cold war" vibe to it.

• Like 1

with all the awesome metal that came out that year this album for me was a big letdown but i happen to love his tremelo work on this one the most it's a big influence. i still can't get over how this guy reinvents himself: how does he come up with these chords?!? so much respect for alex lifeson
  • Like 3

plus i always wonder what the album would have sounded like if it were produced by the guy who left them hanging. my guess is that it wouldn't be as good but you never know

I think that'd've been Steve Lillywhite, who I can imagine they were looking to for, amongst much previous, his most recent work on U2's War album, from which, it only occurs to me just this moment, there's a track with a similar rhythmic structure to "Red Sector A".

Ragged lines of ragged grey

Sunday bloody sunday...

plus i always wonder what the album would have sounded like if it were produced by the guy who left them hanging. my guess is that it wouldn't be as good but you never know

I think that'd've been Steve Lillywhite, who I can imagine they were looking to for, amongst much previous, his most recent work on U2's War album, from which

oooh interesting!

• Like 1

I think that'd've been Steve Lillywhite, who I can imagine they were looking to for, amongst much previous, his most recent work on U2's War album, from which

oooh interesting!

Check it davey:

http://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/rushvault.com/2013/07/13/oh-god-rush-hate-me-steve-lillywhite-talks-grace-under-pressure/amp/

((Hope you’re well btw :hail: Go Pats! :hail: ))

• Like 1

oooh interesting!

Check it davey:

http://www.google.co...r-pressure/amp/

thanks! :hotdog: :hail: :fury: you going to a SB party?

oooh interesting!

Check it davey:

http://www.google.co...r-pressure/amp/

thanks! :hotdog: :hail: :fury: you going to a SB party?

It’s not even 6am out here and the only place I know that’s showing the SB is Hoooters which is in the city center. And that’s 2 trains and nearly an hour away. So I’m going!!! :LOL: :hail:

Doors open at 7:30am, kick off at 8:30am! :blaze:

• Like 1

I was not a big fan of this album when it came out. It seemed like a watered down version of Signals, which was kind of sad. It's grown on me over the years though and I like it now.
  • Like 1

“Someone should explain to Geddy Lee that you must be a good songwriter to get an ‘odd-time-signatures’ tune across pop radio,” he said. “Listen to ‘All you Need is Love’ by The Beatles or ‘Money’ by Pink Floyd and there are prime examples.” - Steve Lillywhite

Someone should explain to Steve Lillywhite that the fans who have adored Rush for 40 years don't really give a shit.

• Like 3

“Someone should explain to Geddy Lee that you must be a good songwriter to get an ‘odd-time-signatures’ tune across pop radio,” he said. “Listen to ‘All you Need is Love’ by The Beatles or ‘Money’ by Pink Floyd and there are prime examples.” - Steve Lillywhite

Someone should explain to Steve Lillywhite that the fans who have adored Rush for 40 years don't really give a shit.

That’s a pretty rude way of Lillywhite to express his thoughts on Geddy’s songwriting ability. f**k him though; I like Grace Under Pressure as is. :hail: Who knows what it would have been like if he actually had honored his agreement with Rush?

• Like 3

That’s a pretty rude way of Lillywhite to express his thoughts on Geddy’s songwriting ability. f**k him though; I like Grace Under Pressure as is. :hail: Who knows what it would have been like if he actually had honored his agreement with Rush?

Yeah, if I were quoted saying something like that in an interview, I would feel pretty ashamed. I'm so lucky, though - I'm not famous, so I don't get interviewed. I can keep my snotty opinions to myself.

Unless I share them on here.

• Like 2