It's A Long Way To The Top .. Turn The Page

Lucas

A thread with quotes, stories, and photos about the hardships of the road, concerts gone wrong, dealing with less-than-enthusiastic fans might be interesting ..

Johnny Ramone:

“On July 2, 1979, we played on a bill with Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter, AC/DC, and Nazareth to a crowd of forty-six thousand people in Toronto…I saw the other bands we were playing with and I thought, “This isn’t gonna work.” I complained to Premier, our booking agency, about it, and they said, ‘We’ve been in the business a long time, we know what we’re doing’…

“About five or six songs into the set, the whole crowd stood up, and I thought it had started to rain. Dee Dee thought the same thing, but they were throwing stuff at us – sandwiches, bottles, everything. Then, all of a sudden, I broke two strings on my guitar in one strum. I thought it was a sign from God to get off the stage, because I’d rarely break a string, maybe once a year. So I just walked to the front of the stage, stopped playing, and gave the audience the finger – with both hands. I stood there like that, flipping them off, with both hands out, and walked off. The rest of the band kept playing for another ten or fifteen seconds until they’d realized I was walking off, and then they did too. I wasn’t gonna stand there and be booed and have stuff thrown at us without retaliating in some way. We had to come off looking good somehow, and there was no good way to get out of that.”

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ramones-Canadian-World-Music-Festival-Toronto-July-2-1979.jpg

• Like 11

This one I can attest to ..

Marillion opening for Rush on five dates in September 1983 at Radio City Music Hall

I remember Marillion getting booed like no band I had ever heard, .. The crowd literally drowned out the music

Marillion keyboardist Mark Kelly:

.. And when they actually walked out on the stage, the fans treated them

like unwashed peasants. "It was awful, terrible, humbling. 'The

audience hated us, I remember one guy standing on a seat in the front

row with his trousers down!' remembers Mark. 'It was a nightmare!'

[footnote: among the audience was Mike Portnoy, later of Dream Theater

and Transatlantic] By the end of the stint, the guys used to travel

up in the lift saying, 'It's Christians and Lions time - off we go!'

After the five days were up, the boys went home, despondent."

25:40

fan: GET OFF THE STAGE

Fish: thank you thank you thank you

fan2: GET OFFFFF

Fish: a song dedicated to Northern Ireland

fan: WHO CARES

• Like 3

A thread with quotes, stories, and photos about the hardships of the road, concerts gone wrong, dealing with less-than-enthusiastic fans might be interesting ..

Johnny Ramone:

“On July 2, 1979, we played on a bill with Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter, AC/DC, and Nazareth to a crowd of forty-six thousand people in Toronto…I saw the other bands we were playing with and I thought, “This isn’t gonna work.” I complained to Premier, our booking agency, about it, and they said, ‘We’ve been in the business a long time, we know what we’re doing’…

“About five or six songs into the set, the whole crowd stood up, and I thought it had started to rain. Dee Dee thought the same thing, but they were throwing stuff at us – sandwiches, bottles, everything. Then, all of a sudden, I broke two strings on my guitar in one strum. I thought it was a sign from God to get off the stage, because I’d rarely break a string, maybe once a year. So I just walked to the front of the stage, stopped playing, and gave the audience the finger – with both hands. I stood there like that, flipping them off, with both hands out, and walked off. The rest of the band kept playing for another ten or fifteen seconds until they’d realized I was walking off, and then they did too. I wasn’t gonna stand there and be booed and have stuff thrown at us without retaliating in some way. We had to come off looking good somehow, and there was no good way to get out of that.”

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ramones-Canadian-World-Music-Festival-Toronto-July-2-1979.jpg

Great Story Lucas! That reminds of the time I saw Jethro Tull on the "A" tour in Saginaw, Michigan. Loverboy, of all acts, were the warm up band. Mike Reno comes out with the band and he's wearing these shiny red leather pants and as they start into their first song 15,000 stoned Jethro Tull fans just turned ugly. They were booing, throwing folding chairs, etc.,etc. Mike Reno starts the next song by saying, "it's difficult to open for a legend like Jethro Tull, he's so great" and I thought the crowd would riot. They somehow manage to make it through their second song and Mike announces, rather sheepishly, that "this next song is our hit single and we're going to turn the stage over to Jethro Tull". The crowd starts cheering wildly, that is, until they started into "Turn Me Loose" and all hell broke loose again. It is amazing that they didn't get themselves hurt...They were distinctly very much un-rock and roll. I would have more respect for them if they said, "sod off!'
  • Like 4

I dont know if this counts, but here is a story with Frank Zappa about a problem he had with John Lennon on the road.

wow

For John Lennon to take a piece of music - one of Frank's pieces - retitle it and release is as something else - crediting himself - that's infuriating

• Like 3

Johnny Ramone:

Great Story Lucas! That reminds of the time I saw Jethro Tull on the "A" tour in Saginaw, Michigan. Loverboy, of all acts, were the warm up band. Mike Reno comes out with the band and he's wearing these shiny red leather pants and as they start into their first song 15,000 stoned Jethro Tull fans just turned ugly. They were booing, throwing folding chairs, etc.,etc. Mike Reno starts the next song by saying, "it's difficult to open for a legend like Jethro Tull, he's so great" and I thought the crowd would riot. They somehow manage to make it through their second song and Mike announces, rather sheepishly, that "this next song is our hit single and we're going to turn the stage over to Jethro Tull". The crowd starts cheering wildly, that is, until they started into "Turn Me Loose" and all hell broke loose again. It is amazing that they didn't get themselves hurt...They were distinctly very much un-rock and roll. I would have more respect for them if they said, "sod off!'

Definitely .. I would think that if you're already lost the crowd, being sheepish is only going to make it worse ... They smelled blood in the water !!

• Like 3

Marillion opening for Rush on five dates in September 1983 at Radio City Music Hall

I remember Marillion getting booed like no band I had ever heard, .. The crowd literally drowned out the music

I was at one of these shows. It's all true.

• Like 2

I dont know if this counts, but here is a story with Frank Zappa about a problem he had with John Lennon on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u44szRgR9Pc

wow

For John Lennon to take a piece of music - one of Frank's pieces - retitle it and release is as something else - crediting himself - that's infuriating

Lennon had a distinctly douche-like quality. I don't hold him in high regard as his blindly loyal rabid fans. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

There's a long history of mismatched opening acts. Gotta wonder what record companies were thinking (they weren't).

Like...Hendrix opening for The Monkees. Blondie opening for Rush.

It would have been entertaining to see the teenie-bopper Monkees fans getting their face melted by Hendrix.

• Like 2

I've seen some utterly unremarkable opening acts. A girl named Bonnie Hays opened for Huey Lewis in '87 and apologized to the crowd for not being very good.

Marillion opened for Rush in '86 in Springfield. I have the full boot of that show. I'd sorta heard of them, but wasn't impressed. They eventually grew on me. Misplaced Childhood is one of my favorite albums.

The Hunger opened for Kiss in '96 and they were flinging little round discs or something into the audience, who were flinging them back.

• Like 1

I had no idea that the Runaways were still so bitter towards Rush for some alleged incident that happened in 1977 when the bands played together in Detroit ..

Runaways manager and mastermind Kim Fowley:

... Rush had pseudo-intellectual lyrics and very heady stuff that was all HP Lovecraft, and that doesn't always go over so well in Detroit. Add to that the complicated musical interludes and screaming vocals, and it's not hard to understand the appeal of the Runaways. They also weren't very nice to the girls. If you watch the movie there's an incident in which the girls rebel against an older bunch of guys they're on the bill with. That was Rush, and that actually happened, terribly, to them. ...

Joan Jett:

Joan Jett says members of Rush were anything but polite Canucks when the Runaways opened for them in the 1970s. In the new film biopic about the band titled The Runaways, Jett (played by Kristen Stewart) is derided by an unidentified rock group they're opening for. She later retaliates by breaking into their dressing room and urinating on one of their guitars. Jett doesn't hesitate to identify the real-life inspiration for the scene. "Rush! They sat on the side of the stage and laughed at us," Jett says. "That sort of stuff pisses me off." ...

... "And by the way, the group that refuses to give the Runaways a sound check in the movie is Rush", Jett said. ...

Runaways' singer Cherie Currie:

"They were sabotaging our equipment, throwing papers on the stage and I jumped off Sandy [West]'s drum riser in six inch platform boots and hit a piece of that paper and slid almost into the orchestra pit which would have been a drop from the ceiling down into wrought iron. I turned and saw them and they were laughing and laughing and pointing -- I really could have broken my neck or worse. We were putting up with that every day."

Geddy

"The Runaways had a ginormous chip on their shoulders. I remember that show. We had trouble with our gear so our soundcheck got delayed and The Runaways never got one. But we were always good to whoever was opening for us. We had no bias against them because they were girls - none of that bullshit. I know they said that we were laughing at them when they played, but quite frankly they were too shitty to listen to. And 40 years later they have a story to tell about it. Who knew?"

Cherie Currie comes across as very bitter ( says Rush is "god awful" and Geddy "screams and looks like a grandmother" ) .. Her hostility actually makes this story funnier as she obviously took things too serious

Alex's take on the event is great, and in classic Alex form, very funny

It should be noted that all these negative comments coming from The Runaways' camp came about at the time when the movie "The Runaways" was released ..

I have never heard another band say anything remotely bad about Rush, and quite frankly, it seems as if there has be exaggerations - even outright lies - coming from Jett, Fowley and Currie in order to drum up publicity for their movie ..

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I had no idea that the Runaways were still so bitter towards Rush for some alleged incident that happened in 1977 when the bands played together in Detroit ..

Runaways manager and mastermind Kim Fowley:

... Rush had pseudo-intellectual lyrics and very heady stuff that was all HP Lovecraft, and that doesn't always go over so well in Detroit. Add to that the complicated musical interludes and screaming vocals, and it's not hard to understand the appeal of the Runaways. They also weren't very nice to the girls. If you watch the movie there's an incident in which the girls rebel against an older bunch of guys they're on the bill with. That was Rush, and that actually happened, terribly, to them. ...

Joan Jett:

Joan Jett says members of Rush were anything but polite Canucks when the Runaways opened for them in the 1970s. In the new film biopic about the band titled The Runaways, Jett (played by Kristen Stewart) is derided by an unidentified rock group they're opening for. She later retaliates by breaking into their dressing room and urinating on one of their guitars. Jett doesn't hesitate to identify the real-life inspiration for the scene. "Rush! They sat on the side of the stage and laughed at us," Jett says. "That sort of stuff pisses me off." ...

... "And by the way, the group that refuses to give the Runaways a sound check in the movie is Rush", Jett said. ...

Runaways' singer Cherie Currie:

"They were sabotaging our equipment, throwing papers on the stage and I jumped off Sandy [West]'s drum riser in six inch platform boots and hit a piece of that paper and slid almost into the orchestra pit which would have been a drop from the ceiling down into wrought iron. I turned and saw them and they were laughing and laughing and pointing -- I really could have broken my neck or worse. We were putting up with that every day."

Geddy

"The Runaways had a ginormous chip on their shoulders. I remember that show. We had trouble with our gear so our soundcheck got delayed and The Runaways never got one. But we were always good to whoever was opening for us. We had no bias against them because they were girls - none of that bullshit. I know they said that we were laughing at them when they played, but quite frankly they were too shitty to listen to. And 40 years later they have a story to tell about it. Who knew?"

Cherie Currie comes across as very bitter ( says Rush is "god awful" and Geddy "screams and looks like a grandmother" ) .. Her hostility actually makes this story funnier as she obviously took things too serious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8pRezSsAU

Alex's take on the event is great, and in classic Alex form, very funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPpfoE0Jdmc

It should be noted that all these negative comments coming from The Runaways' camp came about at the time when the movie "The Runaways" was released ..

I have never heard another band say anything remotely bad about Rush, and quite frankly, it seems as if there has be exaggerations - even outright lies - coming from Jett, Fowley and Currie in order to drum up publicity for their movie ..

It does sound like promotion for the movie. And I agree with Geddy, the Runaways are not very good.

• Like 1

More from The Ramones:

December 1, 1978: Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino CA, w/Black Sabbath ( Van Halen had dropped off the tour, as they could book their own arena gigs in the Cali area). Ramones hop on to Sabbath’s NSD tour... The local promoter of this concert advertised it in print ads, posters, and on local radio as “Punk Rock vs Heavy Metal”, getting it all wrong and exactly right simultaneously. The members of the Ramones actually felt their lives were in danger that night, and they were probably right.

Tour manager Monte Melnick says of that show: “Playing with Sabbath was dangerous. Their audience didn’t want to have anything to do with us. It was scary. It was bad.” Joey Ramone added: “We didn’t fit in. Our new booking agent thought it would expand our audience. The local promoter booked it like a battle of the bands. 20 minutes in and everything started coming at us. We were able to dodge it all, and no one got hurt, but we said f**k you and got off the stage.”

kill-a-punk.jpg?w=700

Reading these anecdotes takes me back to a different era when bands, who today have a lot common fans between them, had polarizing fanbases who just couldn't accept other styles of music ..

It is taken for granted these days how ELP, YES and Rush might all have the same fans, but back in the 70s, that was not the case ...

Alex Lifeson, about a gig in 1975

There was one gig, I think it was Decatur, Illinois - and it was a club gig .. We got there a bit early, and the truck was maybe 20 minutes behind us .. We walked it and it was a tiny club with a stage about 8 feet deep and about 30 feet long .. There was no way we could get our gear on there, let alone play .. We went to the owner and said "Hi, we're Rush, and we have a problem here - we can't get our equipment on the stage" and he said "Why not, it is just an acoustic guitar and some chairs" .. We said "No, it's drums and amps" and he said "Wait a second - Tom Rush - isn't that Tom Rush ??" .. We said "No, this is Rush" so obviously the gig was canceled .

• Like 3

Alex Lifeson, about a gig in 1975

There was one gig, I think it was Decatur, Illinois - and it was a club gig .. We got there a bit early, and the truck was maybe 20 minutes behind us .. We walked it and it was a tiny club with a stage about 8 feet deep and about 30 feet long .. There was no way we could get our gear on there, let alone play .. We went to the owner and said "Hi, we're Rush, and we have a problem here - we can't get our equipment on the stage" and he said "Why not, it is just an acoustic guitar and some chairs" .. We said "No, it's drums and amps" and he said "Wait a second - Tom Rush - isn't that Tom Rush ??" .. We said "No, this is Rush" so obviously the gig was canceled .

:LOL:

• Like 2

There's a long history of mismatched opening acts. Gotta wonder what record companies were thinking (they weren't).

It would have been entertaining to see the teenie-bopper Monkees fans getting their face melted by Hendrix.

Gentle Giant opened for Black Sabbath at the Hollywood Bowl in the early 70s. Apparently they shared the same management, who thought the pairing would be a good idea. Nope. Giant were pelted with various objects and someone threw a firecracker onstage...it was ugly - as one would imagine.

Before they left the stage, Phil Shulman said to the crowd “You’re a bunch of cu**s!”

Rock and roll!

I think the Who opened for Herman’s Hermits in 1967. Another bad idea!

• Like 2

Buddy Rich once opened for Dusty Springfield on her first solo visit to New York (a 2 week engagement), and supposedly couldn’t have been more of a prick if he tried. He was bent out of shape at having to open for a no-talent-broad and wouldn’t speak to Dusty directly, would play long sets so she’d be going on later and later, and was just a little pain in the ass. The story goes that when Dusty called him out for his behaviour, he started pointing his finger in her face so she slapped him hard enough that his wig flew across the room. This was witnessed by some of his band who then presented Dusty with a pair of boxing gloves at the end of the 2 weeks.

Then there was the time that Alvin Lee of Ten Years After had orange juice poured on his guitar out in the blazing sunshine, on a day they were sharing a bill with Led Zeppelin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie95bwwZbfs&version=3

Marillion opened for them again several years later and I don't recall any boos, but I definitely remember thinking "who in the heck put these 2 bands on the same bill"? Didn't know anything about Marillion at the time but I knew they shouldn't have been opening for Rush. I'm sure the hard core progophiles loved it, but the other 98% of us were scratching our heads.

I saw U2 at the Oakland Colisseum for the ZooTV (Achtung Baby) tour. It was a triple bill with U2, Public Enemy, and the Sugarcubes. The latter group was booed mercilessly (but not by me). The Sugarcubes frontman ended up flipping off and swearing at the crowd numerous times, but Bjork was a pro through the whole thing.

Johnny Ramone:

I was at this show and remember this vividly. It was the Canadian World Music Festival. Rush seating. We slept overnight and ran the full length of the football field at CNE Stadium to get close to the stage. The Ramones weren't the only band to have the crowd throwing thngs. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes had a similar experience if I remember correctly. The crowd was definitely into Ted Nugent / Aerosmith. And I loved and still do, the Ramones. But it was the wrong bill for them.

• Like 1

My high-school Music teacher went with a bunch of friends to see Frank Zappa in the early 70s.

The opening band was Mahavishnu Orchestra, who apparently played with such brilliance and intensity that many of the audience left after their opening set, excited and satisfied.

My teacher and his friends took off, despite being Zappa fans, and went to the nearest record store and bought whatever Mahavishu they could find. Music nerds...

Let me just check this out before I hit “post”...yep, they played 11 shows together around May ‘73, and passed thru Toronto.

• Like 2

My Aunt saw the Monkees & Hendrix when they came to NC. She says at the time she couldn't really get into Hendrix as she'd never heard music like that before and it was odd to her ears. However in retrospect she says that Hendrix was amazing and the Monkees were "merely okay".

• Like 1

Johnny Ramone:

I was at this show and remember this vividly. It was the Canadian World Music Festival. Rush seating. We slept overnight and ran the full length of the football field at CNE Stadium to get close to the stage. The Ramones weren't the only band to have the crowd throwing thngs. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes had a similar experience if I remember correctly. The crowd was definitely into Ted Nugent / Aerosmith. And I loved and still do, the Ramones. But it was the wrong bill for them.

Thanks Syrinx, that must have been quite an experience - both the show itself with all those bands and the reaction to The Ramones and SSJ