fentanyl - take that s**t off the market

HemiBeers

Apparently Tom Petty died off an accidental overdose with fentanyl in his system. Not from a heart attack as his (POS) manager claimed.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/health/tom-petty-cause-of-death/index.html

I read one site that stated Dolores O'Riordan had a bottle of it in her room as well. Her tox tests won't come back for a couple of months, but they don't have a cause of death yet, so obvious causes are eliminated with autopsy and assumptions made.

If this s**t is that dangerous, then take it off the market. Alot of people start on prescribed opiods as gateway to heroin.

What ever happened to the doctor's credo of 'do no harm?' More like, 'F that, I want my drug company commission check'.

• Like 5

And what about individual responsibility?.....from what i read in the article it seems he was on a veritable cocktail of drugs.

It appears he was touring with a fractured hip which got progressively worse without treatment...he did himself, his family and his fans no favours by increasing the doses to manage his escalating pain....no one would have thought ill of him if he had postponed his tour to have hip surgery.

Sad, and he's a real loss to music, but there is no one else but him to blame here.

• Like 3

And what about individual responsibility?.....from what i read in the article it seems he was on a veritable cocktail of drugs.

It appears he was touring with a fractured hip which got progressively worse without treatment...he did himself, his family and his fans no favours by increasing the doses to manage his escalating pain....no one would have thought ill of him if he had postponed his tour to have hip surgery.

Sad, and he's a real loss to music, but there is no one else but him to blame here.

...and what about individual responsibility for the stupid f***ing doctor that prescribed said cocktail?

if someone gets addicted to heroin or other street drugs, yes that's their responsibility and choice. But the damn medical professionals are well aware of the dangers of opiates but still dole them out like aspirin.

This hits home because my ex died of a drug cocktail overdose with enough in her system to kill a horse. But we continue to let doctors prescribe this shit without ramifications. They obviously don't have the professional filter to exercise caution, so take the shit off the market.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 6

I just watched an episode which had fentanyl referenced in it, 'Blue Bloods' is the show, and as I learned fentanyl is like 4 times the effectivness of morphine in the same dose. I'm sorry also, but this is a BUNCH of people's fault. Tom, his DR. Rock stars in general, etc, etc, etc...it is used in certain medical situations, surgery, and such as an anesthetic, and is NOT to be 'messed with'.These people are, in the end [no pun intended] these people are killing themselves. I feel sorry only for MUSIC having lost these talents because of the stupid selfishness and trip to 'THE HIGH'. All the OlD.s. are the stars and their entourages are to blame. then there are the poor folks who die of 'natural' causes, medical conditions and such. It sucks.

kiFilFN.jpg

• Like 1

...and what about individual responsibility for the stupid f***ing doctor that prescribed said cocktail?

if someone gets addicted to heroin or other street drugs, yes that's their responsibility and choice. But the damn medical professionals are well aware of the dangers of opiates but still dole them out like aspirin.

This hits home because my ex died of a drug cocktail overdose with enough in her system to kill a horse. But we continue to let doctors prescribe this shit without ramifications. They obviously don't have the professional filter to exercise caution, so take the shit off the market.

I'm sorry for your personal loss, but I'm afraid it's clouded your judgement a bit.

The correct dose would have been prescribed by the doctor and clearly labeled......it wasn't his/her fault that Tom decided to overdose to control pain which really needed surgery rather than analgesia to cure.

Lethal dose of heroin vs a lethal dose of fentanyl

From The New Hampshire State Police Forensic Laboratory. On the left is a lethal dose of heroin, equivalent to about 30 milligrams; on the right is a 3-milligram dose of fentanyl, enough to kill an average-sized adult male.

Heroin-Fentanyl-vials-NHSPFL-1024x576.jpg

The pharmaceutical drug companies, the doctors who recklessly prescribe the drugs and the FDA in this country are disgraceful ..

• Like 5

.. it is dangerous even for people might accidentally touch or breath a tiny amount of it. People like police, EMTs, forensic labs technicians, and even funeral directors. A puff of fentanyl from closing a plastic bag is enough to send a full-grown man to the emergency room, as a police officer from New Jersey described in a Drug Enforcement Agency video last fall. The DEA made the video as part of an official warning to law enforcement about the dangers of handling fentanyl.

The unprecedented rise of fentanyl has forced police and crime labs to change how they work. Police departments are using protective gear like Tyvek suits and respirators. Crime labs are looking for new ways to detect fentanyl without opening the bag.

lead_960.jpg?1494629463

• Like 2

That's just unfair. Tom was just trying to do right by his fans and forgot to do right by himself in the process, meanwhile his doctor/doctors were giving him things they weren't sure were safe but must not have told him that part of it.

I'm probably making a couple assumptions there, but I hate to hear that's how he went out. :(

• Like 1

That's just unfair. Tom was just trying to do right by his fans and forgot to do right by himself in the process, meanwhile his doctor/doctors were giving him things they weren't sure were safe but must not have told him that part of it.

I'm probably making a couple assumptions there, but I hate to hear that's how he went out. :(

You're making a massive assumption here...Remember Doctors don't want to be sued more than anyone else....I find it impossible to believe that he wasn't explicitly instructed on the correct dosage and the medicine itself would have been very clearly labelled...I also note that he had Oxycodone in his system too...he could have been taking too much of that for breakthrough pain.

He always struck me as a fairly intelligent man, so he must have been aware of the risks...in this case "doing right by his fans" backfired spectacularly, as now they will have no more chances to see him, ever, whereas a short break for hip replacement surgery would have sorted his problem and extended his career...after all, it worked for Paul Stanley.

You're making a massive assumption here...Remember Doctors don't want to be sued more than anyone else....I find it impossible to believe that he wasn't explicitly instructed on the correct dosage and the medicine itself would have been very clearly labelled...I also note that he had Oxycodone in his system too...he could have been taking too much of that for breakthrough pain.

He always struck me as a fairly intelligent man, so he must have been aware of the risks...in this case "doing right by his fans" backfired spectacularly, as now they will have no more chances to see him, ever, whereas a short break for hip replacement surgery would have sorted his problem and extended his career...after all, it worked for Paul Stanley.

the guy had coronary artery disease and emphysema, maybe he didn't have very much longer to live in any case and a final tour was what he wanted. and maybe the od wasn't entirely an accident.

i agree that there's a problem in america with overprescribing of medication for absolutely everything, and also agree that personal responsibility comes into play.

the guy had coronary artery disease and emphysema, maybe he didn't have very much longer to live in any case and a final tour was what he wanted. and maybe the od wasn't entirely an accident.

i agree that there's a problem in america with overprescribing of medication for absolutely everything, and also agree that personal responsibility comes into play.

As with most problems, there is never one cause. The patients taking too much, the doctors prescribing too much, and the manufacturers & wholesalers shipping too much. In many cases, patient fraud is a huge problem. Addicts and dealers take advantage of cracks in the system to get their prescriptions filled in multiple places. McKesson was busted and fined a few years back for a few of its larger distribution centers shipping out increasing amounts of Schedule II narcotics with virtually no oversight.

In Tomah, Wisconsin, at the Veterans Hospital, a doctor was bounced out and publically chastized for being "The Candyman". Patients died from the massive amounts of pain killers he was giving out like candy. As expected, he found a way to get his license reinstated, and he is "practicing" elsewhere.

Edited by Principled Man

I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it being taken off the market, either. But as for the number of people who use pain patches because they want help with aching muscles, etc, and not because they want/are addicted to abusing Fentanyl...the companies who make money off of the pain patches almost completely ensure that Fentanyl will not be taken off the market.

Sure, there are tons of healthier alternatives in palliative care. But I don’t see Fentanyl being taken off the market anytime soon, the same way that Sudafed won’t be even though it’s used in the manufacture of methamphetamine.

Lethal dose of heroin vs a lethal dose of fentanyl

From The New Hampshire State Police Forensic Laboratory. On the left is a lethal dose of heroin, equivalent to about 30 milligrams; on the right is a 3-milligram dose of fentanyl, enough to kill an average-sized adult male.

Heroin-Fentanyl-vials-NHSPFL-1024x576.jpg

The pharmaceutical drug companies, the doctors who recklessly prescribe the drugs and the FDA in this country are disgraceful ..

And yet marijuana is still a Schedue 1 "drug". Sheesh.

• Like 2