Alex confirms Rush is "basically done"

Wil1972

I figured that CA would be their last studio album when Neil kept talking about how important it was to him to make CA the best album Rush has ever made.

IMO, they came damned close to doing it. :haz:

Personally, I wouldn't go that far, but it is a damn good album to go out on.

I think there's a great album in there, but it it suffers from songs that should have been left off. Today I'm embarking on an 8-hour leg of a week long road trip. I'll have to revisit Clockwork and see if I hear what others do in the four or five tracks that I just don't like.

^^^ thou dost seem defensive. Are you sure he was referring to you? Because long before I ever knew who you were there were posts on CP by a guy who was trying to figure out how not to miss his 100th show that was on his wife's due date. I've long since forgotten his name, but he always wore a red Rush hockey jersey in his pics.

everything is about earl, don't you know that?

Wikipedia just changed their page on RUSH to say, "Rush WAS a Canadian prog Rock band..."

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

When Wikipedia says it's true, it's true. ;) :D

There must be a dozen reasons why Rush is done. Wikipedia using a past tense verb isn’t one of them.

Virtually any maniac who can type can post an article there.

I expect the page to be changed back and forth from "is" to "was", as some Rush fans refuse to believe that they're done..... :LOL:

And when it changes back to the present tense, fans will say “Rush is back! Look what it says on Wikipedia!” :LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Wikipedia just changed their page on RUSH to say, "Rush WAS a Canadian prog Rock band..."

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

Should be "Rush WERE a Canadian prog rock band". They speak the Queen's English in Canada. Therefore I don't believe it ;)

• Like 1

IT'S OFFICIAL, FOLKS!!!!

Should be "Rush WERE a Canadian prog rock band". They speak the Queen's English in Canada. Therefore I don't believe it ;)

A grammatical difference that I've never been able to tolerate. I will always say Rush was..... :laughing guy:

Sad news. Unfortunately I only got to see them four times but I guess that's something. I suppose we'll always have the music and the memories.

I got to see them 10 times over 35 years, which could have been more, but that's OK.

I take great satisfaction from not being like some fanatics, who abandon everything - even their families, and even during the birth of children - just so they can boast about seeing the band 100+ times.

Well, sometimes that beggars the question of why these people even had kids to begin with.

^^^ thou dost seem defensive. Are you sure he was referring to you? Because long before I ever knew who you were there were posts on CP by a guy who was trying to figure out how not to miss his 100th show that was on his wife's due date. I've long since forgotten his name, but he always wore a red Rush hockey jersey in his pics.

Wayne someone, right?

Wayne someone, right?

Could be. I just remember he sorta looked like Groucho Marx, with bushy black eyebrows and mustache. He caught a lot of hell.

.....there were posts on CP by a guy who was trying to figure out how not to miss his 100th show that was on his wife's due date. I've long since forgotten his name, but he always wore a red Rush hockey jersey in his pics.

Yes, I was referring to that guy when I posted my earlier comment about attending lots of Rush shows. I definitely didn't mean to shame the guy here. It was on Counterparts, and he did catch a lot of flak, but it happened years ago. I hope the guy is very happy wherever he is.

My earlier post was only meant to describe how I personally felt about seeing as many Rush shows as possible. It's great if you can see them live many times, but I never wanted to make it into an obsession. I've never had the need to compete with anyone over how many times I've seen the band in concert. There's just no point to it..... :huh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

I figured that CA would be their last studio album when Neil kept talking about how important it was to him to make CA the best album Rush has ever made.

IMO, they came damned close to doing it. :haz:

Personally, I wouldn't go that far, but it is a damn good album to go out on.

I think there's a great album in there, but it it suffers from songs that should have been left off. Today I'm embarking on an 8-hour leg of a week long road trip. I'll have to revisit Clockwork and see if I hear what others do in the four or five tracks that I just don't like.

I was commenting on this on another thread the other day. If CA had two or three songs shaved off and better production and the remaining songs edited down a couple minutes each because there's no reason for each one to be 5 or 6 minutes long than I'd like it much more than I do. It's become another drink coaster to go along with Snakes :facepalm: :D

(Seriously....I can't make out 90% of what Ged is singing on that album. It just sounds like a blur of mush in a different language. And lets not forget the middle part of the title track where it sounds like he's singing over one of those old cheap Sports Illustrated football phones....)

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

As time goes on, things DIE. Naurally, this is NOT FUN, but that's the way it is. Get over it.

kiFilFN.jpg

Thanks folks....I mean, it's a FACT now. GET THE HELL OVER IT!!!

cEZvPhs.gif?1

I'm glad they did the R40 tour but still annoyed about the set list...specifically not playing at least one song from every album and how totally awful Hemi:Prelude sounded in the dropped key tuning

The albums that were skipped had been extensively covered on the 2 previous tours, or they sucked.

Get over it.

...except Presto in particular does not suck. "Show Don't Tell" really needed to make one last appearance.

I can understand skipping Power Windows given the CA tour, but in the 1st set of R40, there was no reason to have 2 songs (3 without Losing It) from CA and 2 songs from S&A.That would free up a song each for T4E and Presto. Extend the 1st half by 5 minutes and get HYF in there, too. It was doable. Your sucky album is someone else's favorite (for example, I will defend Presto to the death, it's the album that got me into Rush).

Edited by zappafrank

To be honest, part of me feels kind of glad that they bowed out when they were somewhat healthy....I would have loved to see Rush live a second time, but I think that them retiring is a less painful than say, a few years down the road, one of them gets hooked on painkillers and then dies of an overdose....

More often than not R40 was a pretty painful watch on most nights (via periscope anyway. Saw three shows in person and the consistency wasn't what it had been.) But that's just my opinion.

It's regrettable that we won't see anything from this great band, but I look on the bright side:

- I got to see them sixteen times since 1988, with none of their live shows being less than average, and most ranging for great to classic.

- We had over forty hears of great studio albums and live tours, with very few songs that were stinkers--probably less than 5. How many bands with the longevity of Rush can say that?

- This is a band that could have easily packed it in during the late 90's or early 2000's due to the death of Neils wife and daughter. Yet they managed to get back together in 2001 and release some of their best material. This was a band that did not rely on past glories and continued to release great albums--and have the guts to back them up on tour. Most bands that have been around as much as Rush would not have played 9-10 songs from their latest album, even with the extended running time their concerts have been. Instead, they would have relied upon the "hits".

- Their tours were always challenging, not only for the band but the audience, as they managed to put together amazing setlists. Unlike most bands that have been around even half as long, Rush has not relied on a steady stream of "hits." Yes, there are a handful of songs that are reliable staples (ASOR, TS, 2112), but they also were not afraid to reach deep in their catalog. Who would ever have thought they'd break out Entre Nous or Digital Man on the S&A tour? Or 2112 in its entirety on the T4E tour, or Presto on the Time Machine tour? This is a band that respected not only the casual fans, but also the die hards, even playing songs they weren't sure they wanted to play, such as Camera Eye.

- They ended on a high note, not only with a great album in Clockwork Angles, but also a fantastic tour that took us through most of their career (aside from the synth period, which was played heavily on the previous tour. We even got to see the Holy Grail of fan requests--Losing It. Granted, they only played it on a couple of dates, but still there is a live recording.

Since they've call it quits, it's fitting that they've done so on their own terms, which pretty much epitomizes their entire career.

So thanks for over forty years of memories.

I say this all of the time, but they are the gift that keeps on giving. An embarrassment of riches....

I'm shocked to see how well the forum is taking the final split up of Rush

Some of has have known since 2013. R40 was never supposed to happen but Neil gave it one last shot. Like him, I wasn't sad either but proud.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been spoiled by this band and I'm likely to have a different point of view than someone who has never seen them before or has become a fan in the last several years or whatever other circumstances there are.

I'm shocked to see how well the forum is taking the final split up of Rush

What’d you expect? Cannibalism and lycanthropy?

I fully expected chaos, anarchy, factions arming themselves .... and no William Wallace around to unite everyone. ;)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

.....there were posts on CP by a guy who was trying to figure out how not to miss his 100th show that was on his wife's due date. I've long since forgotten his name, but he always wore a red Rush hockey jersey in his pics.

Yes, I was referring to that guy when I posted my earlier comment about attending lots of Rush shows. I definitely didn't mean to shame the guy here. It was on Counterparts, and he did catch a lot of flak, but it happened years ago. I hope the guy is very happy wherever he is.

My earlier post was only meant to describe how I personally felt about seeing as many Rush shows as possible. It's great if you can see them live many times, but I never wanted to make it into an obsession. I've never had the need to compete with anyone over how many times I've seen the band in concert. There's just no point to it..... :huh:

I could understand 5,10,20 shows per tour if the setlist varied. But when it's the same every single night with one or two different songs, I just don't have that desire. The only tour I saw more than twice was Time Machine, which is ironic because that was the worst tour they've ever done. Even the between-song banter is scripted.

• Like 1

To be honest, part of me feels kind of glad that they bowed out when they were somewhat healthy....I would have loved to see Rush live a second time, but I think that them retiring is a less painful than say, a few years down the road, one of them gets hooked on painkillers and then dies of an overdose....

More often than not R40 was a pretty painful watch on most nights (via periscope anyway. Saw three shows in person and the consistency wasn't what it had been.) But that's just my opinion.

Live, the show was great fun. The CD? It’s not a very good listen. It’s understandable. If you think Geddy sounds as good now as he did in 1981, you’re denigrating how great he was then.

• Like 5

Wayne someone, right?

Could be. I just remember he sorta looked like Groucho Marx, with bushy black eyebrows and mustache. He caught a lot of hell.

Hmmm....might not have been Wayne after all. As far as I recall Wayne didn't have a mustache.

I could understand 5,10,20 shows per tour if the setlist varied. But when it's the same every single night with one or two different songs, I just don't have that desire. The only tour I saw more than twice was Time Machine, which is ironic because that was the worst tour they've ever done. Even the between-song banter is scripted.

The only time I saw them twice in one tour was their 30th Anniversary Tour. I saw them in Milwaukee in June, and then saw them again at Radio City Music Hall in August.

I lucked out big time, as I got to witness Alex's classic Paris Hilton rant during La Villa Strangiato. Best Rush moment EVER!!

:haz: :haz:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

The only tours I saw them multiple times were:

Signals - my first time seeing Rush, back to back nights in Hollywood Florida as a wide eyed 13 year old kid. Neil was late to one of the shows and it was remembered as the tear gas show. I barely remember the tour, but do remember just being in complete awe and screaming like a bitch when they hit the stage. They were so mysterious to me back then. Before the internet and fanzines this was pure hero worship as a young aspiring musician.

Vapor Trails - 2 times. Vegas and West Palm Beach

Snakes and Arrows - 4 times. 2 on the 07 leg and 2 on the 08 leg. Glorious tour and amazing memories with some fan meet-ups!!!

Time Machine - 3 times

Clockwork Angels - 3 times

R-40 - 2 times

My total show count is = 21

Black jack!!! Only one time did they have what I would consider an off night by their high standards. That was the Presto tour in Miami in 1990. Rough night for Geddy.