Alex confirms Rush is "basically done"

Wil1972

i am not concerned about Alex' quotes. it sounds like he is simply showing respect to neil by submitting to the idea that they are "done." and btw every time i read "we" i cannot help but substitute that with "neil" since he's the one who holds the reigns. and neil always calls at some point. always. i'm fine either way. i honestly expect rush to do something in the future but if i'm wrong that's fine, too. i doubt geddy and alex would ever form another band out of respect for the fans, so the little projects will keep them busy until ***THE CALL***

prediction: ***THE CALL*** will happen as soon as neil moves out of california and settles in to his new digs sometime around Spring 2021

• Like 2

They should have retired from touring when Geddys voice started going. That didn’t help. I’m thrilled I got to see them the past few tours but they hadn’t been up to their previous high standard.
  • Like 2

Here's another observation:

'It's been a little over two years since Rush last toured. We have no plans to tour or record any more. We're basically done. After 41 years, we felt it was enough.'

Alex emphasizes the word 'we'; meaning it was an agreement with all three of them to pack it in. Initially it may have appeared that Neil and Alex were forcing it on Geddy. However they all agreed on the decision together.

In the 'Time Stand Still' documentary, Geddy especially was probably still in denial about the band ending with how he was coming across in his body language and use of emotion in conveying his thoughts.

However I bet if the 'Time Stand Still' documentary was re-filmed in 2017 instead of 2015, there would be a different perspective.

• Like 3

i doubt geddy and alex would ever form another band out of respect for the fans, so the little projects will keep them busy until ***THE CALL***

prediction: ***THE CALL*** will happen as soon as neil moves out of california and settles in to his new digs sometime around Spring 2021

I bet sooner. There's only so many 3rd grade field trips you can chaperone before you start to lose it.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Neil has been COMPLETELY radio silent. I'd at least expected a few long-winded updates on his web site letting us all know how great the simple life is.

• Like 2

i doubt geddy and alex would ever form another band out of respect for the fans

I have no doubts at all about Alex and Geddy. If they want to form a new band, then they will do it. Their career goals and personal desires to make music will always come first. They owe us fans nothing.

• Like 2

I saw R40 twice. Opening night in Tulsa and blazing away in Denver. I’m not bitter.

If I had missed R40 maybe I’d be bitter.

I agree, I would've been pissed had I missed R40. After exactly 50 shows starting in November 1948 GUP tour Hampton VA and having my daughter see the S&A show in Bristol, Va I'm satisfied. I hope this is the end because I would not want to see them playing music in an obvious decline, they mean far too much to me. BTW, that last show in Tampa FL I broke down balling on my way back to Palm Beach that I had to stop and stay over at a hotel I just couldn't continue driving home.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

In other news, the moon pulls the oceans to create the tides. Life moves on.

Wave after wave will flow with the tide

And bury the world as it does

Tide after tide will flow and recede

Leaving life to go on as it was...

• Like 1

I'm not at all surprised. I thought they were done after Clockwork Angels, so R40 was a bonus. They deserve their retirement. I wish I could retire, but I cannot. However, they have worked hard and given us so much great music, which I continue to enjoy listening to. I do wish Neil would write some more books, though. I really like his writing.
  • Like 1

I would've been pissed had I missed R40. After exactly 50 shows starting in November 1948

Wow, you saw Rush before they were born? Hardcore!

Time Machine tour ;)

• Like 1

Rush is done, that is that. It is what it is and what not and I respect that fully.

I don't care I was never able to see them live, as long as we got the music it's better than nothing. Tbh I don't think they would be a great band to see live anyways.

The band doesn't owe us anything, and I don't think they should ever get back together. They are getting older and they have stated themselves that it hurts for them to play and they are giving out, I am fine with and understand that completely. If it hurts to play, then why want them to tour more, it will just hurt them worse. I understand if they make a new album or something but a tour, they can't pull that off anymore bc they don't have it in them anymore to do so, and even if they did, I doubt they'd tour anyway, no offense.

I am excited for Alex's new projects and appearances and I Hope Geddy does something soon, and as for Neil, I doubt he'd do anything that will get him noticed by the press lmao.

Edited by Permanent-Rush

I saw R40 twice. Opening night in Tulsa and blazing away in Denver. I’m not bitter.

If I had missed R40 maybe I’d be bitter.

As soon as Rush announced R40 I thought...this is the beginning of the End.

Better start saving my cash to fly half way around the world (Australia to USA).

Thanks to Odin that I did.

MGM Grand Las Vegas.

Greatest Concert Ever.

• Like 2

No. i don’t like this. i want more rush music and tour bc i want more Rush concerts. They should be like The Rolling Stones mates.

Seriously mocking me is not gonna get u anywhere good mate.

:LOL:

i doubt geddy and alex would ever form another band out of respect for the fans, so the little projects will keep them busy until ***THE CALL***

I bet sooner. There's only so many 3rd grade field trips you can chaperone before you start to lose it.

I'm actually a bit surprised that Neil has been COMPLETELY radio silent. I'd at least expected a few long-winded updates on his web site letting us all know how great the simple life is.

He’s telling you how great it is simply by saying nothing.

• Like 1

Maybe.....but in interviews he always talked about doing more writing, etc. To hear nothing at all is a bit weird.

Maybe.....but in interviews he always talked about doing more writing, etc. To hear nothing at all is a bit weird.

If the choices are silence, or a 10,000 word essay about the rocks in the Mojave desert, I'm happy with silence.

• Like 6

If the choices are silence, or a 10,000 word essay about the rocks in the Mojave desert, I'm happy with silence.

What?!! You don’t enjoy 150 pages straight of sedimentary rock exposition followed by that many on road signs and fat Americans?!!

• Like 3

Everything Peart has done or ever will do can be classified as a bit weird.

Or eccentric if he’s rich enough. I’d say he qualifies as eccentric.

• Like 1

Or eccentric if he’s rich enough. I’d say he qualifies as eccentric.

If wanting to live a normal life and shunning the attention from obsessed fans and the media is weird or eccentric, then you can call me weird and eccentric anyday. :D :D

• Like 3

In 2015 and for much of the time since it was pretty clear that Alex and Geddy didn't want R40 to be the end. But I entertained no serious hopes that we would hear more from them because it was equally clear that Neil had no interest in continuing and they've made it clear they wouldn't continue in any fashion as Rush without Neil.

I figured at most they might put out a new single at some point but didn't think it particularly likely.

What has changed now which really puts the nail in the coffin is that it seems pretty clear that Alex is really enjoying retirement and spending his energies elsewhere and probably has no more interest in doing another Rush project, however small scale, than Neil.

I think it's much better that they ended this way, with all of them still alive and happy and enjoying themselves and having gone out on a high note with their last studio album and the R40 tour as opposed to ending because one of them died.

I am glad I saw two dates of the R40 tour. Yeah, there were some fuckups on that tour but still overall I thought it was a great tour and being able to watch and comment on live shows you couldn't attend via Periscope was very cool.

I have only gratitude for what they've given us.

Edited by rftag
  • Like 3