Gear Acquisition Syndrome

toymaker

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

When you said "50's" and Goldtop, I kind of figured it was.

Yes- being my first foray into electric playing, I really didn’t feel like I needed to go for Humbuckers right off the bat. Just starting to get my feet wet, and the P-90s are really sweet. 

9 minutes ago, Blue J said:

Yes- being my first foray into electric playing, I really didn’t feel like I needed to go for Humbuckers right off the bat. Just starting to get my feet wet, and the P-90s are really sweet. 

You can approach it however you feel comfortable, but there really aren't any rules about what type of pickups to get first, or work your way up to.  You'd have done great with a Tele, your guitar, or a 335.  Having said all that, you did great with what you got.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maverick said:

You can approach it however you feel comfortable, but there really aren't any rules about what type of pickups to get first, or work your way up to.  You'd have done great with a Tele, your guitar, or a 335.  Having said all that, you did great with what you got.  

Oh yeah, I understand that. It was going to be either this or a Strat.

My stepfather has a 1968 ES-335, also, if I want to play that one. And another Les Paul, from about 1990. But I wanted my own.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blue J said:

Oh yeah, I understand that. It was going to be either this or a Strat.

My stepfather has a 1968 ES-335, also, if I want to play that one. And another Les Paul, from about 1990. But I wanted my own.

Well then, you are pretty well set!  If you have access to a 335 and a Les Paul, your bases are covered there.

I have two Epiphone 335's that I got last year (both 2021's) and I got my Les Paul Custom way back in 1987 (it was made in 1986.)  I really like the 335's.  Their bodies are so big, it really feels like you've got something to hold onto.  Back in 2020, I got a Music Man Albert Lee guitar with three P-90's, so I'm pretty set there.

I bet that '68 335 is sweet!

• Like 1

A few new things, just in the past month or so:

Martin 1-23, from the mid-1850s. Adi spruce top and rare flat-sawn Brazilian rosewood on the back and sides. The 23 was not a style of its own, per se, but rather just a guitar that was made and sold at a wholesale cost of $23. According to company records there were exactly six of these made- all between 1853 and 1857.

Next, a Martin Signature Series Ian Anderson 0-28, from 2004- number 72 of a total of 87 produced. 

2015 Fender Telecaster ‘Limited Edition’ (in quotes because there really isn’t anything limited about it), in butterscotch blonde. Ash body with maple neck.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 10:21 AM, Maverick said:

After lusting after this pedal since last summer (2021) but never being able to find it except second hand and for exorbitant prices, and after buying the Strymon Brigadier and Timeline delays, I was finally able to land a Suhr Discovery analog delay pedal. It has all the bells and whistles of it's DSP powered counterparts, but it uses real MN3005 bucket brigade chips.  It uses a 9v power supply, but it runs at 18v internally, so there seems to be more clean headroom for the delay repeats.  They don't get super crunchy like they did on the EHX Deluxe Memory Man that I briefly had, but returned in favor of getting the Strymon Brigadier.

Overall, I'm very happy with this.  It is definitely it's own thing, not trying to copy the DMM.  The Lo Cut and Hi Cut allow me to shave off just the right amount from the repeats so that they don't get in the way.  Surprisingly, the Mix knob stays pretty low for me.  I like the way it works - as you turn it up from about seven o'clock, it adds volume to the repeats until you get to noon, where the repeats are unity with the dry signal.  After that, as you turn up, the repeats don't get louder, the dry signal gets quieter.  I tend to stay around ten o'clock.

The best thing is, the Discovery, the Brigadier, and the Timeline analog engine all sound different, so I'm not covering the exact same ground with any of them.

Wt2iAC3.jpg

I need to correct something on this post - As you can on the top left corner of the pedal, it requires and 18v power adaptor, not a 9v that I previously stated.