Gear Acquisition Syndrome

toymaker

My most recent instrument purchase was a bass for my son for his 18th birthday. He had said for a few months that he wants to learn, so I got him one. Fender Squier Jazz, sunburst finish. It is a very nice bass, and especially since it’s pretty inexpensive, too.
  • Like 2

My most recent instrument purchase was a bass for my son for his 18th birthday. He had said for a few months that he wants to learn, so I got him one. Fender Squier Jazz, sunburst finish. It is a very nice bass, and especially since it’s pretty inexpensive, too.

My second bass was a sunburst Squier Jazz 5-string. I still play it a lot. It was my primary bass for almost four years.
  • Like 2

My second bass was a sunburst Squier Jazz 5-string. I still play it a lot. It was my primary bass for almost four years.

That's the thing with Squiers and Epiphones. There are some real good ones out there if you can find them.

• Like 1

When I was young, the 2 basses I thought wanted to buy when I could afford them were the Fender Precision (because of Steve Harris) and the Rickenbacker 4001 (because of Paul McCartney and Geddy). I never really liked the feel of either though, to be honest. How does the Squier Jazz feel? The Rickenbacker's action felt too low for me.

Incoming.

dejavibe-2.jpg

Already got it! :lol:

This is the third time I've owned a Deja Vibe. I got it last May at the Sweetwater store in Fort Wayne when I was there for my niece's wedding.

I had a bigger box one that was cream colored that I got back in early 2009. I sold that because I had bought a Strymon Mobius, which had a decent uni-vibe mode. Then after I sold the Mobius for who knows what reason, I got a Black Cat Vibe, which was pretty good, too, until I went to my favorite guitar shop and saw the Deja-Vibe in the enclosure with the treadle. So I had to have that one instead. I had that for a while but decided I wasn't using it enough, and really, having the treadle was a bit over rated to me. So I sold that one, too.

But I finally decided that I wanted another uni-vibe, didn't want to spend too much money (Dry Bell type money) and I liked that Fulltone had done some tweaks to the design so that this wasn't a dead-on replica of the classic. The sweep of the speed knob is more even, and you don't have to turn the volume up all the way to get to unity gain, and it will even give you a volume boost now. That is stuff I can definitely get behind.

TC Electronics made a uni-vibe a few years ago called the Viscous Vibe. It honestly sounded great, and I even got to try one in person. But they made the decision to model it after the vintage uni-vibe, and so there were the same problems with the speed and the volume. And that really sucked because the TC one was all software modeling. No lamp, no photocells, just software. They could have done much more with it, but instead made a vibe that was limited.

I have resolved not to sell/trade this Deja-Vibe. I thin I've learned my lesson. It is an effect that I will always want to have access to, even though I may not always use it. I have to stop dropping $$$ on them.

• Like 1

Incoming.

dejavibe-2.jpg

This is the third time I've owned a Deja Vibe. I got it last May at the Sweetwater store in Fort Wayne when I was there for my niece's wedding.

I had a bigger box one that was cream colored that I got back in early 2009. I sold that because I had bought a Strymon Mobius, which had a decent uni-vibe mode. Then after I sold the Mobius for who knows what reason, I got a Black Cat Vibe, which was pretty good, too, until I went to my favorite guitar shop and saw the Deja-Vibe in the enclosure with the treadle. So I had to have that one instead. I had that for a while but decided I wasn't using it enough, and really, having the treadle was a bit over rated to me. So I sold that one, too.

But I finally decided that I wanted another uni-vibe, didn't want to spend too much money (Dry Bell type money) and I liked that Fulltone had done some tweaks to the design so that this wasn't a dead-on replica of the classic. The sweep of the speed knob is more even, and you don't have to turn the volume up all the way to get to unity gain, and it will even give you a volume boost now. That is stuff I can definitely get behind.

TC Electronics made a uni-vibe a few years ago called the Viscous Vibe. It honestly sounded great, and I even got to try one in person. But they made the decision to model it after the vintage uni-vibe, and so there were the same problems with the speed and the volume. And that really sucked because the TC one was all software modeling. No lamp, no photocells, just software. They could have done much more with it, but instead made a vibe that was limited.

I have resolved not to sell/trade this Deja-Vibe. I thin I've learned my lesson. It is an effect that I will always want to have access to, even though I may not always use it. I have to stop dropping $$$ on them.

The sound that Robin Trower gets is a sound I've had stuck in my head for decades, and you can't quite get it from a straight vibrato, flanger, phaser or chorus pedal. The uni-vibe is its own thing. Trower is using all Fulltone stuff now, and his uni-vibe tone is as good as its ever been, so that's good enough for me.

• Like 1

Incoming.

dejavibe-2.jpg

The sound that Robin Trower gets is a sound I've had stuck in my head for decades, and you can't quite get it from a straight vibrato, flanger, phaser or chorus pedal. The uni-vibe is its own thing. Trower is using all Fulltone stuff now, and his uni-vibe tone is as good as its ever been, so that's good enough for me.

There are tons of pro players who use one version of the Deja-Vibe or another. I can't count how many rig rundowns I've seen it on. So yeah, if it is good enough for these guys (even with the more expensive alternatives out there) it is good enough for me.

When I was young, the 2 basses I thought wanted to buy when I could afford them were the Fender Precision (because of Steve Harris) and the Rickenbacker 4001 (because of Paul McCartney and Geddy). I never really liked the feel of either though, to be honest. How does the Squier Jazz feel? The Rickenbacker's action felt too low for me.

This is my first time ever playing the bass, myself- so to me, it feels big and fat- but it is certainly smooth. I wouldn’t say that the action is very low, no.

It’s very smooth, but just so much different from strumming an acoustic guitar. So I don’t know if my comments help you, or not.

I am currently gassing on something HARD! I won't identify what it is until I have either ordered it, or it runs out of stock (again) in which case who cares? As it stands, I am on a couple of email notification lists for when it becomes available, hopefully sometime today or tomorrow. If I'm lucky, people placing pre-orders didn't grab all the available ones.

Beyond this particular piece of gear, I am beginning to gas for another Kiesel guitar. But that will require other gear to be sold if I want to order it this year. Hard decisions will have to be made. But jeez, if I haven't used something since last year, no matter how cool it is, will I really miss it, except for seeing that it is there? And yes we cannot underestimate the power of just having something cool, even if it just collects dust.

I am currently gassing on something HARD! I won't identify what it is until I have either ordered it, or it runs out of stock (again) in which case who cares? As it stands, I am on a couple of email notification lists for when it becomes available, hopefully sometime today or tomorrow. If I'm lucky, people placing pre-orders didn't grab all the available ones.

Beyond this particular piece of gear, I am beginning to gas for another Kiesel guitar. But that will require other gear to be sold if I want to order it this year. Hard decisions will have to be made. But jeez, if I haven't used something since last year, no matter how cool it is, will I really miss it, except for seeing that it is there? And yes we cannot underestimate the power of just having something cool, even if it just collects dust.

I want to build another Kiesel too. Have you seen how much their prices have increased in the past couple of years? I built my 24-fret California Carved Top in 2016 and it cost around $1700, with delivery and a hardshell case. If I were to build that same guitar now, it STARTS at $1949 before I even start choosing options. If I spec it out with the same amount of standard features and extra options as my first one, it would cost $2259 + delivery. Spec'd out the way I'd like it, $2344. Huge jump in price.

I want to build another Kiesel too. Have you seen how much their prices have increased in the past couple of years? I built my 24-fret California Carved Top in 2016 and it cost around $1700, with delivery and a hardshell case. If I were to build that same guitar now, it STARTS at $1949 before I even start choosing options. If I spec it out with the same amount of standard features and extra options as my first one, it would cost $2259 + delivery. Spec'd out the way I'd like it, $2344. Huge jump in price.

Yes, I'm on their new virtual builder almost every day. I'm looking at a Carved Top, too, as that was the first guitar model that drew me to Carvin back in 2007. The way I have mine currently spec'd out, it is $2599. If I go for the roasted flamed maple neck, it jumps to $3199. But seeing it in the builder, it definitely looks worth it. And based on how much I love my Aries, it will play and sound worth it, too.

The item I had been gassing on was the Suhr Discovery analog delay pedal. This thing is like the mother of all analog delays. It has a MIDI brain with an all analog heart and signal path. In addition to the normal delay controls, you can switch between a digital delay readout in BPM or milliseconds. There are also controls for modulation rate and depth, plus modulation wave wave shape. And finally there are high cut and low cut filters to further shape the sounds of the repeats.

The Discovery came out last year and pretty much immediately sold out. Seeing demos on it got me really interested in analog delays, and I went searching for one to add. First, I went with the EHX Deluxe Memory Man. That checked a lot of boxes, including having an analog signal path with four chips providing the repeats. Once I had that, I borrowed my neighbor's Strymon Timeline and did an A/B comparison. The analog delay engine on the Timeline sounded just as good, as the DMM, so I returned it and bought a Strymon Brigadier, which is their standalone analog delay modeling pedal.

I've been really happy with it, but always thought of it as a place holder until the Suhr was available again, which was supposed to be yesterday. But the places online that said it would be available on 03/08/2022 are now saying 09/20/2022. So all the places that were waiting on them sold all of their stock through pre-sales. I'm not sure how long this cycle will last, but I won't be waiting on this another six months. Maybe one day they will be somewhat in stock to the point I can look one up, and it will be available to purchase right then. So for now, I will channel my funds and gas towards a new Kiesel build.

The item I had been gassing on was the Suhr Discovery analog delay pedal. This thing is like the mother of all analog delays. It has a MIDI brain with an all analog heart and signal path. In addition to the normal delay controls, you can switch between a digital delay readout in BPM or milliseconds. There are also controls for modulation rate and depth, plus modulation wave wave shape. And finally there are high cut and low cut filters to further shape the sounds of the repeats.

The Discovery came out last year and pretty much immediately sold out. Seeing demos on it got me really interested in analog delays, and I went searching for one to add. First, I went with the EHX Deluxe Memory Man. That checked a lot of boxes, including having an analog signal path with four chips providing the repeats. Once I had that, I borrowed my neighbor's Strymon Timeline and did an A/B comparison. The analog delay engine on the Timeline sounded just as good, as the DMM, so I returned it and bought a Strymon Brigadier, which is their standalone analog delay modeling pedal.

I've been really happy with it, but always thought of it as a place holder until the Suhr was available again, which was supposed to be yesterday. But the places online that said it would be available on 03/08/2022 are now saying 09/20/2022. So all the places that were waiting on them sold all of their stock through pre-sales. I'm not sure how long this cycle will last, but I won't be waiting on this another six months. Maybe one day they will be somewhat in stock to the point I can look one up, and it will be available to purchase right then. So for now, I will channel my funds and gas towards a new Kiesel build.

The BPM thing seems pretty handy. I'd have an analog delay pedal if I didn't already have the G-Major.

• Like 1

The BPM thing seems pretty handy. I'd have an analog delay pedal if I didn't already have the G-Major.

I could get just about everything if I traded the pedals I have and got a Timeline. But my current delays (the Volante, DIG, and Brigadier, all by Strymon) have tap tempos, and that gets me close enough. And honestly, when I was watching comparison videos between the Brigadier and the EHX Deluxe Memory Man, if I closed my eyes and just listened, and then opened them when I thought something sounded particularly good, it was usually the Brigadier I was hearing. I think this is turning into and exercise/lesson in being happy with what I have.

Except for guitars. I really want that CT6 I've been building every day.

The Hofner, which feels like it's made of balsa wood, has renewed my love for playing. Every night I bring my iPad downstairs and pick up a new Beatles tune. When I last played a lot, I was too much of a "hard guy," insisting on playing Genghis Khan or La Villa Strangiato and tapping like I thought I was Billy Sheehan. Now playing along with Taxman or Revolution is more my speed. It's a bit like growing up and realizing that you can go to a gym and do cardio, you don't need to try and impress strangers by benching a VW. :)
  • Like 2

The Hofner, which feels like it's made of balsa wood, has renewed my love for playing. Every night I bring my iPad downstairs and pick up a new Beatles tune. When I last played a lot, I was too much of a "hard guy," insisting on playing Genghis Khan or La Villa Strangiato and tapping like I thought I was Billy Sheehan. Now playing along with Taxman or Revolution is more my speed. It's a bit like growing up and realizing that you can go to a gym and do cardio, you don't need to try and impress strangers by benching a VW. :)

I like the idea of trying to impress girls in your high school parking lot by playing the bassline to Taxman. :lol:

I like the idea of trying to impress girls in your high school parking lot by playing the bassline to Taxman. :lol:

I can’t see anyone being too impressed by a guy in his 50s with a 15 watt amp in a high school parking lot and what would have to be a pretty long extension cord playing Beatles’ tunes while sitting in a chair because I don’t have a strap.

• Like 2

I can’t see anyone being too impressed by a guy in his 50s with a 15 watt amp in a high school parking lot and what would have to be a pretty long extension cord playing Beatles’ tunes while sitting in a chair because I don’t have a strap.

The missing strap is of course the only thing that will get you weird looks in that scenario. :tsk:
  • Like 1

The missing strap is of course the only thing that will get you weird looks in that scenario. :tsk:

:lol: Not much use for a strap when a guy in his 50s with a 15 watt amp is sitting in his downstairs playing along with YouTube videos.

Sine I was unable to acquire the Suhr Discovery analog delay, I have decided to take a sour grapes approach and convince myself that it doesn't sound any better than my Strymon Brigadier.

Then yesterday, just in case I began to think the Brigadier isn't enough, I traded several other pedals and came away with a Strymon Timeline.

It is ridiculous the amount of delays I have right now. But I'm figuring on traded two of them (Strymon Deco and DIG) to get their big box modulation pedal, the Mobius.

My EVH red/black/white Frankie came today (the one I`ve drawn in my avatar picture). I`m glad I waited until the version with all the wear and tear was available (at a decent price). It was only a matter of time before I bought one, although bearing in mind I wanted this guitar when I was 13, I`m surprised it took so long. 

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, IbanezJem said:

My EVH red/black/white Frankie came today (the one I`ve drawn in my avatar picture). I`m glad I waited until the version with all the wear and tear was available (at a decent price). It was only a matter of time before I bought one, although bearing in mind I wanted this guitar when I was 13, I`m surprised it took so long. 

Photos. Now. :new_thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Like 2

Here are my most recent acquisitions, in order of their arrival:

wVYgd7m.jpg

These are the Catalinbread Dreamcoat and Skewer.  The Dreamcoat is a pedal recreation of the Aiwa reel to reel tape deck that Ritchie Blackmore used as a pre-amp before going into his Marshall.  It can do light gain break up to fuzz on fuzz depending on how you dial in the Mic volume and Saturation.  It also has an internal trim pot to adjust the frequency that the Freq knobs acts as a volume for.  I have yet to mess around with that.   The Skewer is a recreation of the Hornby-Skewes treble booster that Blackmore also used in conjunction with the Aiwa tape deck.  But in addition to just the volume knob, the Skewer has a knob that take it from a full range frequency boost all the way counter clockwise, the the original treble boost, all the way clockwise.  The third knob adds gain.  It uses silicone transistors, as opposed to the germanium transistors used by the Dallas Range Master.  Using the two independently yields great results. Using the Dreamcoat by itself  is great for a sound that is not typical of most other OD's or distortions out there.  It is very much it's own thing, which is really cool, but using them together is where it's at.  They were designed as a pair, and I bought them as a set in one box.  There's even a sticker in the box that shows the entire portrait the comprises the artwork of the two pedals. 

• Like 1

Next up - Strymon Timeline

9cE84ff.jpg

As I mentioned above, having been unable to acquire the Suhr Discovery, I went scorched Earth and got the Timeline.  This is an amazing delay unit that has pretty much anything you could want, a lot of stuff you never knew you wanted, and more than a few things you'll probably never use.  One of the things that made me want to go with this was the digital screen that allows me to dial i precise BPM or milliseconds for delay time.  Tap tempo is great, and I generally get good results using it, but sometimes I just want to know exactly where I'm at.  This will pretty much be a stay at home pedal for when I want to really tinker with the different engines and do deep dives into parameters, etc.  I have smaller grab and go units for if I ever get to play out again.