TRF's top 100 80's songs!!

Permanent-Rush

^^^ Two good ones.

Just realized Get the Knack came out in '79. Oh well, like some do with PeW, I'll just call it an '80s album. Clearly The Knack was inspired by '80s music when they wrote it! ;)

It's an 80's song. Like early Talking Heads or DEVO, just slightly ahead of its time. :)
  • Like 1

^^ First girlfriend that almost became a wife (but didn't) was a Fixx fanatic, along with Kate Bush, The Beatles and Cocteau Twins, but The Fixx was her favorite. I can't hear The Fixx without thinking of her. I loved the '80s.
  • Like 1

^^^ Two good ones.

Just realized Get the Knack came out in '79. Oh well, like some do with PeW, I'll just call it an '80s album. Clearly The Knack was inspired by '80s music when they wrote it! ;)

It's an 80's song. Like early Talking Heads or DEVO, just slightly ahead of its time. :)

Talking Heads, DEVO, The Knack, Blondie, The Clash, etc etc just show how inadequate is categorizing music by decades. '76/'78 saw the explosion of punk/New Wave (along with Disco of course) which ran through '81, give or take, before giving way in '82-ish to what we think of as "'80s music" (the mainstreaming of what was once the disruptive "New Wave") which then ran the course of the decade, becoming pretty tired and moribund before Pixies, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, etc etc came along to recharge the system. Anyway, along with the bound-to-be-eternal pop/rock/Motown of the late '60s and classic rock/AOR of the early/mid '70s, the late '70s/early '80s was an incredible period of music that doesn't really get old. I've also a weakness for the early '90s, before that too was mainstreamed and became kind of noxious (e.g., Nirvana giving way to Matchbox 20 and the like). Anyway, late '70s music was just so cool. I was lucky to have lived through it, like those people who would tell me (when I was a kid) about living through the '60s and the music then.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2