Black Mirror

Rushman14

Just finished watching all 4 seasons. What a great show! Very reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. I agree that for the most part it is all so believable that these scenarios could play out in the not too distant future. Does anyone know if it will continue for another season?

Season 5 by year end.

HOORAY!

Watched the first two seasons and this show is phenomenal. Enjoyed all of it but White Bear and the Christmas episode were certainly my favorites. It's crazy to think where technology will be in years to come if it continues to take over everything like it's been doing. Edited by J2112YYZ

Some of them are pretty damned grim, though. That one about the insurance investigator . . . geez.

that was friggen dark.

I did not see that episode but i bailed early in this series. Brilliant but too grim for me.

do yourself a favor and watch S4 E1

I just finally started season 4 and this might be the first episode I didn't love. I was a little bit disappointed.

USS Callister? Oh man, so good.

why so good? I rank it as the worst episode so far. When I get In front of a computer I will explain why I didn’t love it. I am curious to hear why you rank it so highly.

Don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of Star Trek TOS and I thought this episode was a creatively dark and funny parody, especially when Nanette joins the crew and decides to fight back declaring "Stealing my pussy is a red f***ing line." :)

My only criticism is it may have been a little long. I'll be curious what you think of Metalhead.

Okay so here it is. There may be spoilers about other episodes within. Proceed with caution.

The one thing I really love about this show so far is how most episodes are basically a cautionary tale about how technology, even when it enhances our life in some way, can be used against us. Sometimes without us even knowing it. In doing this each episode generally addresses some moral conflict that arises from these technological advancements. Usually this is done with current technology in mind so that while remaining futuristic, the stories seem like they could be plausible in the future which makes them seem all the more concerning.

This episode however had a huge plot hole that I just couldn't get past. DNA doesn't hold memories. A digital recreation of a person from their DNA would be functionally no different than simply coding one. The avatar would have no knowledge or awareness of the real person it was modeled after. While the episode still had entertainment value, it seemed to be missing something because of this. The cautionary tale was missing because the plot didn't make logical sense. The moral dilemma was missing or seemed unimportant because in reality, these avatars couldn't actually be conscious versions of real people. I feel like the whole show would have been much improved if they would have used a plot line similar to San Junipero where instead of DNA replica's, the protagonist actually captures the conscious state of his coworkers and holds them hostage in his virtual world. That would have made the show much better.

That said, I didn't hate the episode. I just thought it was weak when compared to most of the other episodes and not what I had come to expect from the show in general.

Season 4 got back on track after the first episode.

I really thought Ark Angel and Crocodile were wonderful and dark while Hang the DJ reminded me of San Junipero in that it was sort of sad and a bit bleak throughout but ended up having a happy ending. I liked all three of those episodes very much.

I thought Metalhead was okay from a story standpoint though it did lack the moral dilemma that episodes generally have. I liked the nod to season 2 at the end.

I still haven't seen Black Museum yet.

Some of them are pretty damned grim, though. That one about the insurance investigator . . . geez.

that was friggen dark.

I did not see that episode but i bailed early in this series. Brilliant but too grim for me.

I just finally started season 4 and this might be the first episode I didn't love. I was a little bit disappointed.

why so good? I rank it as the worst episode so far. When I get In front of a computer I will explain why I didn’t love it. I am curious to hear why you rank it so highly.

Don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of Star Trek TOS and I thought this episode was a creatively dark and funny parody, especially when Nanette joins the crew and decides to fight back declaring "Stealing my pussy is a red f***ing line." :)

My only criticism is it may have been a little long. I'll be curious what you think of Metalhead.

Okay so here it is. There may be spoilers about other episodes within. Proceed with caution.

The one thing I really love about this show so far is how most episodes are basically a cautionary tale about how technology, even when it enhances our life in some way, can be used against us. Sometimes without us even knowing it. In doing this each episode generally addresses some moral conflict that arises from these technological advancements. Usually this is done with current technology in mind so that while remaining futuristic, the stories seem like they could be plausible in the future which makes them seem all the more concerning.

This episode however had a huge plot hole that I just couldn't get past. DNA doesn't hold memories. A digital recreation of a person from their DNA would be functionally no different than simply coding one. The avatar would have no knowledge or awareness of the real person it was modeled after. While the episode still had entertainment value, it seemed to be missing something because of this. The cautionary tale was missing because the plot didn't make logical sense. The moral dilemma was missing or seemed unimportant because in reality, these avatars couldn't actually be conscious versions of real people. I feel like the whole show would have been much improved if they would have used a plot line similar to San Junipero where instead of DNA replica's, the protagonist actually captures the conscious state of his coworkers and holds them hostage in his virtual world. That would have made the show much better.

That said, I didn't hate the episode. I just thought it was weak when compared to most of the other episodes and not what I had come to expect from the show in general.

I really thought Ark Angel and Crocodile were wonderful and dark while Hang the DJ reminded me of San Junipero in that it was sort of sad and a bit bleak throughout but ended up having a happy ending. I liked all three of those episodes very much.

I thought Metalhead was okay from a story standpoint though it did lack the moral dilemma that episodes generally have. I liked the nod to season 2 at the end.

did not love Black Museum

that was friggen dark.

did not love Black Museum

That seems to be the general consensus.

Season 5 now available on Netflix :)

Just watched Striking Vipers this morning. I love this show.

I am so glad to hear this. I haven't watched yet but was nervous that the quality would fall off.

Haven't watched yet but the Miley Cyrus episode not getting great reviews.

I am so glad to hear this. I haven't watched yet but was nervous that the quality would fall off.

Watched it this morning. The ONLY one I haven't liked. It's more like a dark Disney Channel show than a Black Mirror episode.

• Like 1

Watched it this morning. The ONLY one I haven't liked. It's more like a dark Disney Channel show than a Black Mirror episode.

started it last night but wife fell asleep so have to finish tonight. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes so far.

started it last night but wife fell asleep so have to finish tonight. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes so far.

I had low expectations so i ended up enjoying it. My wife really liked it, probably because it wasn't as dark as usual.

I really liked the first episode but the other two fell flat for me. With two years between seasons and only doing three episodes, it simply needed to be much better than it was. Edited by J2112YYZ

There's a lot of great TV out there, and you should watch what makes you happy (or makes you think, whatever), but if you're on the fence about "Black Mirror" let me say that I absolutely hated that show. With the the white-hot intensity of 1000 suns.

I only watched the first season, so bear that in mind, but the writing of the show was so incredibly contemptuous of its audience. At every chance, every character did the absolute dumbest thing imaginable, and then usually found a way to make it worse. Or the characters changed directions without any cause (like in the very first one, "The National Anthem") just to make them look more idiotic. This kind of writing is only possible if the creators of the show think everyone is stupid. It's always talking down to the viewers and takes the sort of middle-school-ish "rebellious" position that everything is corrupt and pointless, so why bother with hope or effort?

Again, maybe it got better, but life is too short (for me) to watch a TV show that assumes I'm a moron who would always make catastrophically bad choices. My good choice was switching the channel. But I'm not bitter about it, no, not at all . . .

Decided to try and watch all of these. Seen about four episodes scattered across the various seasons

Watched all of season one yesterday. Terrific, and today I watched White Bear (the first episode I ever saw years ago when it came out). Fantastic stuff!

Not fussed about whether or not the new episodes are shit or not. I found one episode is season one to be so dull I turned it off, and a couple I tried before did little for me. The concept will always be hit or miss.

I really liked the first episode but the other two fell flat for me. With two years between seasons and only doing three episodes, it simply needed to be much better than it was.

I didn't hate the first episode. But in this day and age I kept thinking to myself, "so what?" It was entertaining but not really cutting edge.

I like the more dystopian nature the show had in it's first few seasons. They were cautionary tales that made you think hard about the direction mankind is going and the pitfalls that were ahead. That is lacking from the first two episodes of this season.