Black Mirror

Rushman14

I've seen all episodes from all seasons. Watched a few more than once.

My Top 5

1. Shut up and Dance

2. White Christmas

3. Black Museum

4. White Bear

5. Hated in the Nation

I prefer the Grim ones lol. Nods to San Junipero, Nosedive, USS Callister, Hang the DJ.

• Like 2

My Top 5

1. Shut up and Dance

2. White Christmas

3. Black Museum

4. White Bear

5. Hated in the Nation

I prefer the Grim ones lol. Nods to San Junipero, Nosedive, USS Callister, Hang the DJ.

You prefer the grim ones? No kidding! Shut up and Dance was brutal - grim is putting it lightly. But what a great show. Every episode sticks with me afterwards.

My Top 5

1. Shut up and Dance

2. White Christmas

3. Black Museum

4. White Bear

5. Hated in the Nation

You prefer the grim ones? No kidding! Shut up and Dance was brutal - grim is putting it lightly. But what a great show. Every episode sticks with me afterwards.

I watched this one yesterday while I was on the treadmill at the gym. Brilliant!

I also like the grim ones the best.

• Like 1

Don't know how i missed this the first time it was on, but have just finished series 1 and it is darkly brilliant, worthy of all the praise heaped upon it...the very first episode in particular was fantastically audacious.

Yeah man, that was a hard watch. I went in order, and when that came on me and my wife were all "What the f**k are we watching???!" My favorites so far are White Bear (the runner one), the one where you can review your memories like DVR, the clone one (which was creepy), and the one where the blackmailed kid is running around doing crazy things. NOBODY could have seen that ending coming, no way.

• Like 2

Great show, though I've only seen season 1.

Hang in with it. Seasons 3 and 4 are great

:ebert:

Just finished Season 2's "runner" episode with the lady on the run being phone-filmed by everyone. Very good.

White Bear.

Blew my f***in mind.

Those screams will haunt you!!

I am a huge Terminator fan so I particularly enjoyed Metalhead. Very lean plot with only a 40 minute run time.

It shows no pity or remorse, and absolutely will not stop until you are dead.

Edited by Rushman14

On Season 3 episode 6.....thus far this show has blown me away. My wife and I love it.

Some of them are pretty damned grim, though. That one about the insurance investigator . . . geez.

that was friggen dark.

I did not see that episode but i bailed early in this series. Brilliant but too grim for me.

do yourself a favor and watch S4 E1

I just finally started season 4 and this might be the first episode I didn't love. I was a little bit disappointed.

Some of them are pretty damned grim, though. That one about the insurance investigator . . . geez.

that was friggen dark.

I did not see that episode but i bailed early in this series. Brilliant but too grim for me.

I just finally started season 4 and this might be the first episode I didn't love. I was a little bit disappointed.

USS Callister? Oh man, so good.

that was friggen dark.

why so good? I rank it as the worst episode so far. When I get In front of a computer I will explain why I didn’t love it. I am curious to hear why you rank it so highly.

Just saw the one with the animated political critic. Pretty good. Followed that up with the Christmas shack episode...with the cyber implant. Clever.
  • Like 1

that was friggen dark.

why so good? I rank it as the worst episode so far. When I get In front of a computer I will explain why I didn’t love it. I am curious to hear why you rank it so highly.

Don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of Star Trek TOS and I thought this episode was a creatively dark and funny parody, especially when Nanette joins the crew and decides to fight back declaring "Stealing my pussy is a red f***ing line." :)

My only criticism is it may have been a little long. I'll be curious what you think of Metalhead.

• Like 1

that was friggen dark.

Don't have much to say other than I am a huge fan of Star Trek TOS and I thought this episode was a creatively dark and funny parody, especially when Nanette joins the crew and decides to fight back declaring "Stealing my pussy is a red f***ing line." :)

My only criticism is it may have been a little long. I'll be curious what you think of Metalhead.

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool.

that was friggen dark.

Okay so here it is. There may be spoilers about other episodes within. Proceed with caution.

The one thing I really love about this show so far is how most episodes are basically a cautionary tale about how technology, even when it enhances our life in some way, can be used against us. Sometimes without us even knowing it. In doing this each episode generally addresses some moral conflict that arises from these technological advancements. Usually this is done with current technology in mind so that while remaining futuristic, the stories seem like they could be plausible in the future which makes them seem all the more concerning.

This episode however had a huge plot hole that I just couldn't get past. DNA doesn't hold memories. A digital recreation of a person from their DNA would be functionally no different than simply coding one. The avatar would have no knowledge or awareness of the real person it was modeled after. While the episode still had entertainment value, it seemed to be missing something because of this. The cautionary tale was missing because the plot didn't make logical sense. The moral dilemma was missing or seemed unimportant because in reality, these avatars couldn't actually be conscious versions of real people. I feel like the whole show would have been much improved if they would have used a plot line similar to San Junipero where instead of DNA replica's, the protagonist actually captures the conscious state of his coworkers and holds them hostage in his virtual world. That would have made the show much better.

That said, I didn't hate the episode. I just thought it was weak when compared to most of the other episodes and not what I had come to expect from the show in general.

Edited by thesweetscience

that was friggen dark.

Okay so here it is. There may be spoilers about other episodes within. Proceed with caution.

The one thing I really love about this show so far is how most episodes are basically a cautionary tale about how technology, even when it enhances our life in some way, can be used against us. Sometimes without us even knowing it. In doing this each episode generally addresses some moral conflict that arises from these technological advancements. Usually this is done with current technology in mind so that while remaining futuristic, the stories seem like they could be plausible in the future which makes them seem all the more concerning.

This episode however had a huge plot hole that I just couldn't get past. DNA doesn't hold memories. A digital recreation of a person from their DNA would be functionally no different than simply coding one. The avatar would have no knowledge or awareness of the real person it was modeled after. While the episode still had entertainment value, it seemed to be missing something because of this. The cautionary tale was missing because the plot didn't make logical sense. The moral dilemma was missing or seemed unimportant because in reality, these avatars couldn't actually be conscious versions of real people. I feel like the whole show would have been much improved if they would have used a plot line similar to San Junipero where instead of DNA replica's, the protagonist actually captures the conscious state of his coworkers and holds them hostage in his virtual world. That would have made the show much better.

That said, I didn't hate the episode. I just thought it was weak when compared to most of the other episodes and not what I had come to expect from the show in general.

in that sense yeah, you do need to suspend your disbelieve.

that was friggen dark.

I agree...whilst still very good, it doesn't quite rise to the exceptional standard of the rest of the show.

• Like 1

Just finished watching all 4 seasons. What a great show! Very reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. I agree that for the most part it is all so believable that these scenarios could play out in the not too distant future. Does anyone know if it will continue for another season?
  • Like 2

Watched the cyclist/talent show audition episode and the pig f-er episode. The latter was the first episode I've seen that I didn't care for, but the former was excellent.

I just figured out that I had started on Season 3, which was really good.

• Like 1

Watched the cyclist/talent show audition episode and the pig f-er episode. The latter was the first episode I've seen that I didn't care for, but the former was excellent.

You have to have some context for the latter episode to really strike home, even though Brooker says it was coincidental.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2015/sep/21/pigs-prime-minister-black-mirror-ashcroft-allegation-charlie-brooker

• Like 2

I am working on season 4 but I think season three was the best season I have seen so far. It had my two favorite episodes.
  • Like 1

Just finished watching all 4 seasons. What a great show! Very reminiscent of the Twilight Zone. I agree that for the most part it is all so believable that these scenarios could play out in the not too distant future. Does anyone know if it will continue for another season?

Season 5 by year end.

• Like 2

You have to have some context for the latter episode to really strike home, even though Brooker says it was coincidental.

https://www.theguard...charlie-brooker

Reminds me of an old joke...

You can hit a thousand golf balls and no one will say, "There goes Joe the ball-striker", but you f**k just one pig...

• Like 2