Horror/ Supernatural Thread

Boots

New Discovery: Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

This novel takes place in an Appalachian town whose main employer is a women's prison. The women become encased in a cocoon-like covering when they sleep. If they wake up or are disturbed, then they become violent. While asleep, they are transported to another realm. When the women are sleeping, the men are abandoned and resort to their primal instincts. One woman named Evie is immune to the sleeping sickness. The powers that be attempt to figure out if she is an exception or a demon.

%7B442A5AEA-D0A8-46CD-B308-AADBDFBCC155%7DImg400.jpg

Edited by Boots
  • Like 2

Anne Rice is another horror author to check out. Known mostly for her vampire novels, Anne has sold 100 million copies worldwide. Two film adaptations were made from her Vampire Chronicles, Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned. She has also written Christian literature and erotic fiction. Her son Christopher is a writer, too.

H.P. Lovecraft was known mostly for his short stories. He was also one of the primary influences of Stephen King. His fiction was published in pulp magazine in the 1920's and 1930's. His most famous writings were The Call of the Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Shadow Out of Time. He was unsuccessful in promoting himself, so most of his success occurred posthumously.

http://www.justgamesrochester.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CoC.png

Clive Barker is another important writer in the horror genre. He made a name for himself with the Books of Blood. His books have been adapted into the Hellraiser and Candyman series. In addition to writing, Barker is also a film director and visual artist. He produced the film Gods and Monsters. His paintings and illustrations have been exhibited in many American galleries.

clivebarkersundyingbanner.jpg?fit=620%2C400

Boots, are you familiar with Michael Slade ??

As it began, "Michael Slade" was the pen name for a few Canadian authors, and the first novel, "Headhunter" ( 1984 ) was the first ( and best ) ..

I've read a few more of Slade's novels, but Headhunter was really the only outstanding one .. Unforgettable book, esp the ending ... and it was very apparent that the author(s) were Canadian, with the locations and RCMP being brought to life in great detail ..

Edited by Lucas

Boots, are you familiar with Michael Slade ??

As it began, "Michael Slade" was the pen name for a few Canadian authors, and the first novel, "Headhunter" ( 1984 ) was the first ( and best ) ..

I've read a few more of Slade's novels, but Headhunter was really the only outstanding one .. Unforgettable book, esp the ending ... and it was very apparent that the author(s) were Canadian, with the locations and RCMP being brought to life in great detail ..

No, I haven't heard of him. I'll have to check him out. Thanks

I enjoyed Peter Straub's "Shadowland". Sort of horrific magical realism.

I tried reading a couple of his other books but couldn't finish them. Too long-winded.

Akutagawa's short fiction can be quite horrific (Hell Screen, Cogwheels) and very depressing!

He's kind of like a Japanese EA Poe, and is probably best known for writing Rashomon and In a Grove (which were combined into the "Rashomon" movie). He was one crazy mofo.

Edited by vaportrailer

I tried reading a couple of his other books but couldn't finish them. Too long-winded.

Akutagawa's short fiction can be quite horrific (Hell Screen, Cogwheels) and very depressing!

He's kind of like a Japanese EA Poe, and is probably best known for writing Rashomon and In a Grove (which were combined into the "Rashomon" movie). He was one crazy mofo.

I believe that Ghost Story is the most frightening book ever written in the English language.

Straub does write dense prose but I find it's worth it.

• Like 1

H.P. Lovecraft was known mostly for his short stories. He was also one of the primary influences of Stephen King. His fiction was published in pulp magazine in the 1920's and 1930's. His most famous writings were The Call of the Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Shadow Out of Time. He was unsuccessful in promoting himself, so most of his success occurred posthumously.

http://www.justgamesrochester.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/CoC.png

Many fans of modern horror are unaware of the "Golden Age" of the ghost story which was the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th. Much of this grew out of the Christmas and winter ghost stories told around the fire before radio was available. Authors like MR James, Sheridan Le Fanu, Elizabeth Gaskell, Ambrose Bierce, Wilkie Collins, etc. Many authors who are better known for other genres also wrote in this area such as Wilde, Stevenson, James, Doyle, and, of course, Dickens.

Victorian ghost stories are a very different kind of tale than modern horror - subtle and rich in intimation. I love 'em.

Edited by Finding IT
  • Like 1

I believe that Ghost Story is the most frightening book ever written in the English language.

Straub does write dense prose but I find it's worth it.

Ha, I was going to mention Peter Straub as soon as I read that first post.

It is truly a terrifying read.

Gawping/Gawking at Monica Bellucci all day notwithstanding, I took some time out to say that I finished Clive Barker's The Damnation Game recently. 

I've not read anything else by him but have seen a lot of the films based on his books - Hellraiser, Nightbreed, The Midnight Meat Train, Candyman and even Rawhead Rex!

I enjoyed it but thought it was starting to wane a bit midway through. But then it picked up and was pretty good and ended up being a bit different to what I expected. 

Hints of Lovecraft in there which was good.

I read a Night Hunter series by a Robert Faulcon a while back which I really enjoyed too. 

Anybody heard of it or him? Well it's a pseudonym for an author Robert Holdstock who has written under a few different names by the sounds of it. 

Night Hunter was a good series though although ended a bit abruptly and not quite how I expected it. 

The main idea is a man's family is violently attacked and his wife and child are abducted for some unknown reason and he has to figure out how to find them and what was it all about. 

It becomes clear that it was a cult group with supernatural abilities that has done it and he has to learn quickly about these things, recover and try to get his family back. 

Maybe a bit pulpy but I enjoyed the series. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Malignant Narcissist said:

Gawping/Gawking at Monica Bellucci all day notwithstanding, I took some time out to say that I finished Clive Barker's The Damnation Game recently. 

I've not read anything else by him but have seen a lot of the films based on his books - Hellraiser, Nightbreed, The Midnight Meat Train, Candyman and even Rawhead Rex!

I enjoyed it but thought it was starting to wane a bit midway through. But then it picked up and was pretty good and ended up being a bit different to what I expected. 

Hints of Lovecraft in there which was good.

I read a Night Hunter series by a Robert Faulcon a while back which I really enjoyed too. 

Anybody heard of it or him? Well it's a pseudonym for an author Robert Holdstock who has written under a few different names by the sounds of it. 

Night Hunter was a good series though although ended a bit abruptly and not quite how I expected it. 

The main idea is a man's family is violently attacked and his wife and child are abducted for some unknown reason and he has to figure out how to find them and what was it all about. 

It becomes clear that it was a cult group with supernatural abilities that has done it and he has to learn quickly about these things, recover and try to get his family back. 

Maybe a bit pulpy but I enjoyed the series. 

That's a good one, probably his best horror novel. Another good Barker one is Weaveworld, that's more of a dark fantasy one though.

weaveworld.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:57 PM, treeduck said:

That's a good one, probably his best horror novel. Another good Barker one is Weaveworld, that's more of a dark fantasy one though.

weaveworld.jpg

Good because I've just started to read Weaveworld!

• Like 1