The Last Jedi Reaction thread [SPOILERS galore!]

JohnnyBlaze

Episode VIII  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade The Last Jedi?

2. 2. Do you plan on seeing The Last Jedi in the cinema again?

3. 3. The Last Jedi is better than... ((check the ones that apply))

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • NONE!!!

Luke's finale in TLJ is the best scene or collection of scenes in the sequel trilogy thus far. Also I vastly prefer VIII Luke to original trilogy Luke.

Bite me.

I agree that what they did with Luke was an improvement

I somehow missed this. Making Luke an illogical pessimist...

Why was his retreat illogical? People can become disillusioned as they age, and he had his reasons.

I agree that the protracted fight-to-the-death scene, while beautifully filmed, was lame.

Luke's finale in TLJ is the best scene or collection of scenes in the sequel trilogy thus far. Also I vastly prefer VIII Luke to original trilogy Luke.

Bite me.

I agree that what they did with Luke was an improvement

I somehow missed this. Making Luke an illogical pessimist...

Why was his retreat illogical? People can become disillusioned as they age, and he had his reasons.

I agree that the protracted fight-to-the-death scene, while beautifully filmed, was lame.

I guess my issues were:

1. It is against everything we know and love about Luke;

2. He unleashes an evil Ben and Knights of Ren on the world through failure and says..."Well, f**k it. Let them kill all they want." Sure, I get that the Jedi f***ed up a lot. I get that maybe you need to train the Jedi differently or not at all going forward. I even get that you'd want the Jedi to die (kinda, but kinda stupid as well) But clean up your f***ing mess you asshole!

3. You (Luke) know of Snoke. You know of balance of the force. If you're not going to fight Snoke, kill yourself immediately. Otherwise you're just denying the balance of the force and killing billions of people for no reason.

4. Given 2 and 3 above, you'd think it wouldn't take Luke 2 hours to get into a place just that he could help his twin get 15 extra minutes.

• Like 1

I've come to a realization. Mostly apart from the actual quality and major success of Episode VIII itself, it's going to go down in history as a total failure, along the lines of Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones. This will happen not because of the large fan backlash to the movie's many issues, but because of the way the movie makers responded to that fan backlash. Star Wars fans aren't going to remember the movie so much as the toxicity between fans and Disney that it spawned, or worse, they're going to imprint that toxicity onto the movie and never be able to enjoy it because of what it will have come to represent, whether or not they ever thought it was a good or bad movie.

I hope JJ Abrams can save this thing, he's my only hope.

I have no desire to watch TLJ. not because of Disney.

just cause it's a clusterfukk of a film.

I still LOVE the Force Awakens to death don't care, lol.

and to be honest. I enjoyed Solo a whole bunch. it was fun and way better than it had any right to be.

saw it twice.

Mick

I hope JJ Abrams can save this thing

He can do it. To do so, he must get back to what Star Wars is all about.

He must ignore any current political/social agendas and focus on the Star Wars universe. As Episode IX is the Series finale, he will probably include elements from the entire series (he's said as much in interviews). He has to bring the Saga to a satisfying conclusion.

• Like 2

I've come to a realization. Mostly apart from the actual quality and major success of Episode VIII itself, it's going to go down in history as a total failure, along the lines of Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones. This will happen not because of the large fan backlash to the movie's many issues, but because of the way the movie makers responded to that fan backlash. Star Wars fans aren't going to remember the movie so much as the toxicity between fans and Disney that it spawned, or worse, they're going to imprint that toxicity onto the movie and never be able to enjoy it because of what it will have come to represent, whether or not they ever thought it was a good or bad movie.

I think you’re over complicating it a bit. When I left the cinema on opening night my friends & I and other exiting moviegoers who we talked to all said nearly the same thing - “It had a few good parts but...I don’t know, it was just kinda meh. And what was up with [insert 2-3 scenes that were silly or a waste of time]?”

This sentiment seems pretty common with or without the backlash you’re talking about.

• Like 2

I think you’re over complicating it a bit. When I left the cinema on opening night my friends & I and other exiting moviegoers who we talked to all said nearly the same thing - “It had a few good parts but...I don’t know, it was just kinda meh. And what was up with [insert 2-3 scenes that were silly or a waste of time]?”

This sentiment seems pretty common with or without the backlash you’re talking about.

TLJ had plenty of good stuff IMO. but i so not feel like sitting through the heaps of crap to get it.

Mick

• Like 1

TLJ had plenty of good stuff IMO. but i so not feel like sitting through the heaps of crap to get it.

Mick

TLJ is like a decent looking cupcake that has soy sauce poured on top. After you pause to think “Why the hell did they do that?!” they kick the cupcake around on the bakery floor for a couple of hours. They pick it up, place it on a dish, and add multi-colored sprinkles before finally being served.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that that was the only reason that TLJ would be remembered as lower quality. Plenty of people have pointed out plot wholes, unnecessary characters, bad lines, the whole shebang. I did happen to still really love the movie in spite of all of its glaring issues, probably because I didn't pick up on many of them the first time around.

I meant to say that the whole disney vs. SW fans thing that's been raging on for a few months now feels like it's going to overshadow the movie itself, but is also going to get attached to the film looking back on it.

• Like 2

Ok watched it for a 3rd time last night on Netflix.

Was a little better the third time around.....but I still sit there and cringe at the very same moments I cringed in the first two viewings:

1. The crank call in the opening scene...pure shit.

2. The reaction of Luke to Rey handing him the light saber......utter fail.

3. The storyline between Rose and Finn and just Finn’s lack of story in this film....fail.

4. The force FaceTime scenes between Rey and Kylo....fail.

5. Mary Popins Leia - Utterly ridiculous.

Just the utter let’s shit on the past attitude of this film and how Luke was killed off.....fail and utterly anti-climatic.

Still give it a B- as there are some fantastic set pieces and scenes. It is a decent Star Wars film above the first two prequels.....but nothing else. But like I said...I enjoyed it a tad more on this third viewing. And I still sit and wonder after the great TFA what could have been.

Solo blew this film away too.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Was a little better the third time around.....but I still sit there and cringe at the very same moments I cringed in the first two viewings:

3. The storyline between Rose and Finn and just Finn’s lack of story in this film....fail.

Just the utter let’s shit on the past attitude of this film and how Luke was killed off.....fail and utterly anti-climatic.

Still give it a B- as there are some fantastic set pieces and scenes. It is a decent Star Wars film above the first two prequels.....but nothing else. But like I said...I enjoyed it a tad more on this third viewing. And I still sit and wonder after the great TFA what could have been.

Surprised Mary Poppins Leia is not on your list.

• Like 1

Leia Poppins didn't bother me so much, and I thought that the Facetime sequences were brilliant. And it even took the edge off of Luke dying as Kylo remarks that Rey couldn't do it as the effort would kill her.

Fixed. And it was utterly ridiculous.

And the Facetime force crap was far from brilliant. In fact they blew it as Snoke gleamed about being completely responsible for all of it.....yet after his death in the end..Kylo and Ren face-timed again!!! So who was responsible for that?

A lot of holes in the film. Again....not a bad Star Wars movie....but far less than all the films except for Episode I and II.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Leia Poppins didn't bother me so much, and I thought that the Facetime sequences were brilliant. And it even took the edge off of Luke dying as Kylo remarks that Rey couldn't do it as the effort would kill her.

I love the movie, but I do wish they would have changed the ending and not have Luke die, especially after Carrie Fisher's death. Then he really could have come back and kicked ass in IX like everyone wanted. Maybe JJ has something up his sleeve.

The movie also has some of my favorite sequences of the entire series. The throne room lightsaber duel, the hyper-speed crash into Snoke's ship and the whole battle of Crait.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 1

If Yoda can control the weather and bonk Luke on the head with his cane, and if Luke can project himself in a physical sense (he did smooch Leia on the forehead), then it's theoretically possible for Spirit-Luke to come back and get physical and beat the snot out of some bad guys.
  • Like 4

I've gone from A+ to A after all the criticism has come out and some things in the movie don't add up. Still, I love how bold and experimental it is, even though the plot suffers for it, it puts a smile on my face, and Luke's scene at the end is one of the best moments in the franchise's history.
  • Like 1

I've gone from A+ to A after all the criticism has come out and some things in the movie don't add up. Still, I love how bold and experimental it is, even though the plot suffers for it, it puts a smile on my face, and Luke's scene at the end is one of the best moments in the franchise's history.

19d13ab3dfe80db4be9588e377c18a8e.gif

• Like 3

19d13ab3dfe80db4be9588e377c18a8e.gif

That's gorgeous.

• Like 1

If Yoda can control the weather and bonk Luke on the head with his cane, and if Luke can project himself in a physical sense (he did smooch Leia on the forehead), then it's theoretically possible for Spirit-Luke to come back and get physical and beat the snot out of some bad guys.

And how bad would Hamil want to redeem Luke at this point? Hell, he'd probably do the movie for free!

• Like 3

The line “see ya around kid” is an all time classic for sure.

• Like 2

....then it's theoretically possible for Spirit-Luke to come back and get physical and beat the snot out of some bad guys.

It's certainly possible. Nowhere in the Star Wars saga has it been said or even implied that it's impossible for someone to return from the Force. Luke is strong enough in the Force to do it. Luke returning to his physical form would be just as valid as any other great Jedi skill.

• Like 2

Mark Hamill addresses Carrie Fisher's posthumous role in Star Wars: Episode IX

Mark Hamill says it’s “bittersweet” to begin production on Star Wars: Episode IXwithout his costar and dear friend Carrie Fisher, who died in 2016.

In a moving Twitter post Sunday, the man behind Luke Skywalker paid tribute to Fisher and addressed the recent announcement that she will appear in Episode IX as Leia Organa, via unused footage shot during the making of The Force Awakens. (Hamill will also appear in the film, despite Luke seemingly meeting his end in The Last Jedi.) “It’s bittersweet facing my final chapter without her,” Hamill wrote of Fisher. “She is simply irreplaceable. I’m finding solace in the fact that she won’t BE replaced & would love the worldwide outpouring of affection from those who loved her when they heard the news. #CarrieOnForever.” He also shared photos of the two of them together on set during The Last Jedi and during the making of the original trilogy, as well as the dedication from Last Jedi that paid homage to Fisher, “our princess.”

Lucasfilm announced last week that Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on Tuesday, under the direction of The Force Awakensfilmmaker J.J. Abrams.

“We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” Abrams said in a statement. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

On Saturday, Hamill also gave a Twitter shout-out to another costar from the original Star Wars trilogy: Billy Dee Williams, who first played Lando Calrissian in The Empire Strikes Back and will return for Episode IX. (Donald Glover recently re-imagined Lando as a younger man in Solo: A Star Wars Story). Hamill called Williams’ homecoming “long overdue,” while referencing some of his own lines from the Star Wars films. He wrote, “No one’s ever really gone,” and added the hashtag “#SeeYouAroundKids,” in reference to his parting words to Kylo Ren at the end of The Last Jedi.

• Like 1