The Last Jedi Reaction thread [SPOILERS galore!]

JohnnyBlaze

Episode VIII  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade The Last Jedi?

2. 2. Do you plan on seeing The Last Jedi in the cinema again?

3. 3. The Last Jedi is better than... ((check the ones that apply))

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • NONE!!!

Actually down to 54% audience score now. So even if you despise critics, a cross-sectional average of fans consider The Last Jedi the worst Star Wars film.

25498246_899438690230550_7456013434139846149_n.jpg?oh=9614e538a8fd21afabbdd3a082b54902&oe=5AC42D56

Which is patently absurd.

I thought it was great, but I generally don't care about character arcs and plot holes. It's a fantasy with frickin' lightsabers. Thrills, chills, spills, and kills. Fantastic visuals, sound effects, music, sweeping vistas, compelling action, well-delivered humour. Gobbled it up and plan to see it again.
  • Like 1

Actually down to 54% audience score now. So even if you despise critics, a cross-sectional average of fans consider The Last Jedi the worst Star Wars film.

25498246_899438690230550_7456013434139846149_n.jpg?oh=9614e538a8fd21afabbdd3a082b54902&oe=5AC42D56

there is some trolling going on there without a doubt. Probably Russians.

Exactly two years - 730 days - until the release of Star Wars: Episode IX. :sundog:

JJ Abrams [on the phone with Mark Hamill]: PLEASE come do the film! Rian Johnson won't be allowed on the property, I SWEAR! We'll fix everything!!

;) ;)

http://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25498246_899438690230550_7456013434139846149_n.jpg?oh=9614e538a8fd21afabbdd3a082b54902&oe=5AC42D56

That’s probably affected by the larger voice the ‘net has today. That is, moviegoers today are more likely to score/rate a movie on some site compared to back when Phantom, Clones, or Sith were in cinemas. Sure, plenty of people went back and rated those prequels (years later) but I bet there are tons more like me who didn’t like those flicks but aren’t going to bother with rating them after all this time. I’d guess the prequel scores would’ve been worse if moviegoers had rated movies immediately after cinema viewing like they do now.

• Like 1

http://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25498246_899438690230550_7456013434139846149_n.jpg?oh=9614e538a8fd21afabbdd3a082b54902&oe=5AC42D56

That’s probably affected by the larger voice the ‘net has today. That is, moviegoers today are more likely to score/rate a movie on some site compared to back when Phantom, Clones, or Sith were in cinemas. Sure, plenty of people went back and rated those prequels (years later) but I bet there are tons more like me who didn’t like those flicks but aren’t going to bother with rating them after all this time. I’d guess the prequel scores would’ve been worse if moviegoers had rated movies immediately after cinema viewing like they do now.

Surprise, Surprise: The ‘Alt-Right’ Claims Credit For ‘Last Jedi’ Backlash

An angry fanboy told HuffPost he used bots to flood Rotten Tomatoes with negative reviews of the new “Star Wars” movie.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rotten-tomatoes-last-jedi-ratings-bots_us_5a38cb78e4b0860bf4aab5b1

Well I am not a bot and I didn’t much like it and neither did many non-bots I know. And I really wanted to. Read no reviews prior to seeing it either, so I wasn’t soured going in.

It just isn’t a very good film I’m afraid. That is based on a single viewing though. I do want to see it again because I always see new SW films several times. But I was unexpectedly disappointed.

Incidentally, for what it’s worth, I have also heard Disney PAID reviewer for favorable praise, so take it all however you wish. That street goes both directions and that is every bit as likely as a fan with a grudge (not me, I promise). ;)

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 5

Well I am not a bot and I didn’t much like it and neither did many non-bots I know. And I really wanted to. Read no reviews prior to seeing it either, so I wasn’t soured going in.

It just isn’t a very good film I’m afraid. That is based on a single viewing though. I do want to see it again because I always see new SW films several times. But I was unexpectedly disappointed.

Incidentally, for what it’s worth, I have also heard Disney PAID reviewer for favorable praise, so take it all however you wish. That street goes both directions.

When I think about it I think my B- grading was very generous.

• Like 1

I was almost right about those li'l penguin-looking things being Chewie snacks. The thing that would have taken the movie from A to A+ would have been Chewie taking a big bite out of that delicious looking roast bird. Thought the movie was nothing but coolness and fun.

I want more Porgs in the next one, lol.

Now that they've been taken off their native planet, they're gonna be fruitful and multiply all across the galaxy. Twice as bad as Tribbles..... :unsure:

That was the first Star Trek episode I showed my oldest son...then he proceed to watch every one--at 11. Now he's into prog at 12.
  • Like 3

I was almost right about those li'l penguin-looking things being Chewie snacks. The thing that would have taken the movie from A to A+ would have been Chewie taking a big bite out of that delicious looking roast bird. Thought the movie was nothing but coolness and fun.

I want more Porgs in the next one, lol.

Now that they've been taken off their native planet, they're gonna be fruitful and multiply all across the galaxy. Twice as bad as Tribbles..... :unsure:

That was the first Star Trek episode I showed my oldest son...then he proceed to watch every one--at 11. Now he's into prog at 12.

Why was THAT the first episode you showed?!!

It should’ve been “Arena”!

Watching Kirk reach a 3-inch elevated drop kick on a Gorn then dodge a foam boulder is classic tv gold!!!

Stupid tribbles. I use them to scrub my dark and gritty body parts.

• Like 1

Incidentally, for what it’s worth, I have also heard Disney PAID reviewer for favorable praise, so take it all however you wish. That street goes both directions and that is every bit as likely as a fan with a grudge (not me, I promise). ;)

They released the movies to critics early, which you do when you think you have a strong film. There’s no way they bribed themselves to the critical reviews they’ve gotten. It’s much more likely that the enraged manboys, I mean fanboys, have spammed the reviews.

They released the movies to critics early, which you do when you think you have a strong film. There’s no way they bribed themselves to the critical reviews they’ve gotten. It’s much more likely that the enraged manboys, I mean fanboys, have spammed the reviews.

Unfortunately that Huffpo piece doesn't make the film better to me, although I am hopeful for a more successful (and settled) second viewing.

For the record I don't actually believe that Disney actually paid their reviewers, nor do I believe bots flooded RT with negative reviews either.

Looking at the poll numbers and the comments, this is probably the most divisive of the Star Wars flicks

I don't know how accurate Rotten Tomatoes is, but that website has an audience score of 55%. Total reviews = 115,461.

The critics' reviews are at 93%. Total reviews = 313.

I give The Last Jedi a B+. I'll be seeing it for a 3rd time this weekend, and then I'll wait for the Blu-ray. :LOL: I didn't vote in the poll because I don't like ranking films....or Rush albums. ;)

If you give Last Jedi a B+ and give (for example) Attack of the Clones a C-, isn’t it clear that you like LJ more? I don’t see the big deal. If the grades are the same then I can see the conflict.

My concern is how a lot of fans don't review a new film solely on its own merits. When assessing the new film, they seem to always compare and contrast it with the original trilogy. The final grade is not just for the film itself, but also for how it stacks up against the original trilogy. That can affect and corrupt the ranking process, IMO.

Then there's the criticism that some fans get if they don't rank a certain film as #1 (ex. The Empire Strikes Back). Like here at The Rush Forum, there's an underlying expectation of everyone to rank the albums of the late 70's/early 80's as The Best. Same goes for Star Wars. If you don't rank the original trilogy as The Best, you face criticism and ridicule.

I can easily compare it to TFA and R1 the two most recent Star Wars films.....and Disney's finger on it.

R1

TFA

TLJ

So even with recent history.....ranks last right now. I am seeing it again with my son Saturday morning. I have a feeling I will enjoy it a little more the second time around and repeated viewings. But it still had a lot of let downs in terms of where the story that was set up by TFA went.

I watched TFA again last night with my son. I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

The thing is, I don’t mind AT ALL that they f***ed with Luke’s “center” and things like that. I have a problem with how the movie was made, how it flows, and the editorial decisions of many scenes. People are going nuts talking about butthurt Star Wars fans and things not shaping up the way they wanted it to, but really the problems here are much more fundamental. Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 7

Rian Johnson pretty much gave a big F**k You to Star Wars fans. That being said, I think some of the crap that went down will be rectified in Ep9 one of them being the return of Snoke-- Johnson pretty much said he's Plaeguis in a post release interview. The dude has cheated death before and he'll do it again. But this movie was one 'gotcha' after another, poorly paced, shoddily written, and major plot points poorly chosen. MAYBE I'll change my mind, particularly if damage control is done in Ep9.

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Return

4. Sith

5. Force

6. Phantom (that's right motherf**kers! :yes:

7. Clones

8. Rogue

9. Last Jedi

Help us George Lucas, you're our only hope! :wacko:

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 1

Rian Johnson pretty much gave a big F**k You to Star Wars fans. That being said, I think some of the crap that went down will be rectified in Ep9 one of them being the return of Snoke-- Johnson pretty much said he's Plaeguis in a post release interview. The dude has cheated death before and he'll do it again. But this movie was one 'gotcha' after another, poorly paced, shoddily written, and major plot points poorly chosen. MAYBE I'll change my mind, particularly if damage control is done in Ep9.

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Return

4. Sith

5. Force

7. Clones

8. Rogue

9. Last Jedi

Well......i certainly don't want Lucas at the helm again. last thing i need is more trade route discussions. i don't care where else they go......just not lucas.

Good idea man. left at the reigns.......not for me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Return

4. Sith

5. Force

7. Clones

8. Rogue

9. Last Jedi

Well......i certainly don't want Lucas at the helm again. last thing i need is more trade route discussions. i don't care where else they go......just not lucas.

Mick

Lucas had one big strength and that was knowing how to cut a film. Now I realize he didn't actually edit any Star Wars film, but that was his strength coming out of college as his colleagues often recollect, and I know he was a task master when it came to editing, so he would stand over his editor's shoulders and have final say.

That said, I would never want Lucas back either. I thought Abrams did a marvelous job of tapping into that OT vein nicely (and I mean that aside from the plot...but the feel, flow, smell, and spirit of the film) and Gareth Edwards did a very fine job too with an even darker subject matter (and more rope, given it was a stand alone film). Both films had much better attention to dialogue and a less childlike sense of humor than Lucas was capable of.

I feel that Johnson took a step backwards in that department. The humor was often lame. No, it wasn't a little kid squeeling or a farting creature, but at times it wasn't too much off the prequel mark.

For example, Finn staggering around naked in that medical suit spewing liquids out of those tubes was silly; the whole Canto Bight "chase" sequence made the pod race look like high drama by comparison and looked like some sorry Jumanji-esque scene; the opening with Hux and Poe having that "can you hear me now" cell phone commercial exchange felt like an SNL parody and was too close to "earth humor" to read well in Star Wars. Poe did everything short of say "How about now, dawg, can ya hear me?"; the scene where Rey and a suddenly shirtless Kylo are talking, drawing a shit ton of eye rolling-type-laughter from the crowd I watched it with. So much of the humor fell flat. And the dialogue was often very preachy. Hell, you would have some life lesson in the middle of some really dire moment. :D

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

The thing is, I don’t mind AT ALL that they f***ed with Luke’s “center” and things like that.

I could be wrong, but I think that Star Wars fans everywhere strongly expected Luke to become a super-powerful Jedi Master, who was going to thrill us with amazing feats. We were all waiting for that Great Battle where Luke kicks ass in a God-like way.

But it's still possible for that to happen. If Abrams and his crew are brave enough, they could have Luke come back from the Force - even in physical form. Luke already learned the error of his ways. He learned that giving up wasn't the way to go.

And he even told Ben, "See ya around, kid." I think he could come back and in a big way.

• Like 1

1. Empire

2. Hope

3. Return

4. Sith

5. Force

7. Clones

8. Rogue

9. Last Jedi

Mick

Lucas had one big strength and that was knowing how to cut a film. Now I realize he didn't actually edit any Star Wars film, but that was his strength coming out of college as his colleagues often recollect, and I know he was a task master when it came to editing, so he would stand over his editor's shoulders and have final say.

That said, I would never want Lucas back either. I thought Abrams did a marvelous job of tapping into that OT vein nicely (and I mean that aside from the plot...but the feel, flow, smell, and spirit of the film) and Gareth Edwards did a very fine job too with an even darker subject matter (and more rope, given it was a stand alone film). Both films had much better attention to dialogue and a less childlike sense of humor than Lucas was capable of.

I feel that Johnson took a step backwards in that department. The humor was often lame. No, it wasn't a little kid squeeling or a farting creature, but at times it wasn't too much off the prequel mark. Finn staggering around naked in that medical suit spewing liquids out of those tubes was silly; the whole Canto Bight "chase" sequence made the pod race look like high drama by comparison and looked like some sorry Jumanji-esque scene; the opening with Hux and Poe having that "can you hear me now" cell phone commercial exchange felt like an SNL parody and was too close to "earth humor" to read well in Star Wars. Poe did everything short of say "How about now, dawg, can ya hear me?"; the scene where Rey and a suddenly shirtless Kylo are talking, drawing a shit ton of eye rolling-type-laughter from the crowd I watched it with. So much of the humor fell flat. And the dialogue was often very preachy. Hell, you would have some life lesson in the middle of some really dramatic moment. :D

Well i'll just say. i enjjoyed Last jedi but i get the dislike.

but......Abrhams at least is coming back for the final film......so will shall see.

but No lucas. i wouldn't even bother if he came back in all honesty.

Mick

The way people online are going on and on about this, you'd think it was the friggin' western schism and Reformation.

Are you new to how Star Wars fans discuss things?

it a little over the top with this movie.

• Like 1

The way people online are going on and on about this, you'd think it was the friggin' western schism and Reformation.

Are you new to how Star Wars fans discuss things?

it a little over the top with this movie.

Almost as bad as when Rush released [insert album name here]....? :P :P

• Like 1