The Last Jedi Reaction thread [SPOILERS galore!]

JohnnyBlaze

Episode VIII  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade The Last Jedi?

2. 2. Do you plan on seeing The Last Jedi in the cinema again?

3. 3. The Last Jedi is better than... ((check the ones that apply))

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • NONE!!!

This potential plot to Episode IX makes sense:

Star Wars: Episode IX director J.J. Abrams and screenwriter Chris Terrio have suggested that the 2019 Star Wars installment will somehow tie into the tale that was told across The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Reddit user 114D recently met J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio, and supposedly during their conversation, the two men said that Episode IX "unites all three trilogies and brings everything together." When 114D mentioned that the Prequel Trilogy was his entry point into Star Wars franchise, Terrio said that there will be Prequel elements in Episode IX, although he didn't elaborate on what they would be. Terrio also said that Episode IX's story would make it feel like all these movies are all happening in the same universe, in case the lightsabers, blasters and cool vehicles aren't enough for you.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1715710/star-wars-episode-ix-may-tie-into-the-prequel-trilogy

Star Wars: Episode IX director J.J. Abrams and screenwriter Chris Terrio have suggested that the 2019 Star Wars installment will somehow tie into the tale that was told across The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Reddit user 114D recently met J.J. Abrams and Chris Terrio, and supposedly during their conversation, the two men said that Episode IX "unites all three trilogies and brings everything together." When 114D mentioned that the Prequel Trilogy was his entry point into Star Wars franchise, Terrio said that there will be Prequel elements in Episode IX, although he didn't elaborate on what they would be. Terrio also said that Episode IX's story would make it feel like all these movies are all happening in the same universe, in case the lightsabers, blasters and cool vehicles aren't enough for you.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1715710/star-wars-episode-ix-may-tie-into-the-prequel-trilogy

What makes sense? There’s barely anything said there.

Anyway, the prequels are best left where they are.

http://www.cinemable...prequel-trilogy

Making sense as in some elements from all the films coming together in the Grand Finale.

I don't mean bringing back characters from the prequels, but the concepts of The Chosen One, Anakin being born from the Force to bring Balance, etc. Ben Solo is obsessed with becoming like Darth Vader, so addressing that would be appropriate.

Edited by Principled Man

http://www.cinemable...prequel-trilogy

Making sense as in some elements from all the films coming together in the Grand Finale.

I don't mean bringing back characters from the prequels, but the concepts of The Chosen One, Anakin being born from the Force to bring Balance, etc. Ben Solo is obsessed with becoming like Darth Vader, so addressing that would be appropriate.

Ah. Well, I’m assuming Rey’s this generation’s Chosen One. Rey’s parents were nobodies. Literally, there WAS nobody. So, two Chosen Ones. Sound dumb? It is! That’s why I think it’s highly possible! :P I joke but I’m not.

I just saw it again........it got better.

i LOVE kylo Ren. i appreciated Adam Driver even more. he rocked this.

Something i noticed. He killed Snoke Right? He Did what Vader couldn't. Cause remember. Anakin said he had every intention of overthrowing palpatine to Padma (and i truly believe he would have) but was stopped short because he got all Vadar-ed up.

Kylo DOES succeed in overthrowing his master. Besting his grandfather in this respect. Maybe it's me making a connection that isn't there. but......it makes the early killing of Snoke easier to swallow.

Love the film. very worthy entry in the saga.

firm rankings of episodes

And Rogue 1 i don't rank with the actual episodes.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I just saw it again........it got better.

i LOVE kylo Ren. i appreciated Adam Driver even more. he rocked this.

Something i noticed. He killed Snoke Right? He Did what Vader couldn't. Cause remember. Anakin said he had every intention of overthrowing palpatine to Padma (and i truly believe he would have) but was stopped short because he got all Vadar-ed up.

Kylo DOES succeed in overthrowing his master. Besting his grandfather in this respect. Maybe it's me making a connection that isn't there. but......it makes the early killing of Snoke easier to swallow.

Love the film. very worthy entry in the saga.

firm rankings of episodes

And Rogue 1 i don't rank with the actual episodes.

Mick

I don’t know about all that.

After all, Kylo did get his ass whipped by an untrained Rey in part 1 (episode 7 I mean).

Loophole: She’s super Rey.

And then there’s Luke making a fool out of Kylo in last Jedi.

Loophole: He IS Luke after all.

But then that pasty General Huxley has routinely talked shit to him and still got away with it.

Loophole: Kylo finally stood up to Hux towards the end of Last Jedi but still.

Or is Hux dead now? I kind of forgot in all of that stuff at the end of Last Jedi.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I see a parallel between Vader and Kylo Ren. Once Anakin believed that Padme was dead, he no longer had a reason to overthrow Palpatine. His life had no meaning other than his obsession with wiping out the Jedi. Meeting Luke gave him a new reason to live, and therefore a new reason to take out Palpatine.

Ben Solo was obsessed with becoming a Legend like Darth Vader, so he had no reason to take out his Sith Master. Then he met Rey. He now had a new reason to live, and therefore a reason to take out Snoke.

• Like 2

Ren, as a character, is still a mystery. Han & Leia’s Son turns out to be the evil-est kid in the galaxy? Kills his own dad? If he would come out and say, like Vader, that we just don’t understand the power of the dark side! But he doesn’t. So I don’t get him at all. Mopey millennial prick.
  • Like 1

Ren, as a character, is still a mystery. Han & Leia’s Son turns out to be the evil-est kid in the galaxy? Kills his own dad? If he would come out and say, like Vader, that we just don’t understand the power of the dark side! But he doesn’t. So I don’t get him at all. Mopey millennial prick.

There's nothing to like about him in my eyes. He's a wannabe Jedi/Sith. He's a disgrace as a villain.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Looking at the poll numbers and the comments, this is probably the most divisive of the Star Wars flicks

I don't know how accurate Rotten Tomatoes is, but that website has an audience score of 55%. Total reviews = 115,461.

The critics' reviews are at 93%. Total reviews = 313.

I give The Last Jedi a B+. I'll be seeing it for a 3rd time this weekend, and then I'll wait for the Blu-ray. :LOL: I didn't vote in the poll because I don't like ranking films....or Rush albums. ;)

Looking at the poll numbers and the comments, this is probably the most divisive of the Star Wars flicks

I don't know how accurate Rotten Tomatoes is, but that website has an audience score of 55%. Total reviews = 115,461.

I give The Last Jedi a B+. I'll be seeing it for a 3rd time this weekend, and then I'll wait for the Blu-ray. :LOL: I didn't vote in the poll because I don't like ranking films....or Rush albums. ;)

If you give Last Jedi a B+ and give (for example) Attack of the Clones a C-, isn’t it clear that you like LJ more? I don’t see the big deal. If the grades are the same then I can see the conflict.

I generally agree with audience scores more than critics. BUT I would say Last Jedi is higher than a 55%.

If you give Last Jedi a B+ and give (for example) Attack of the Clones a C-, isn’t it clear that you like LJ more? I don’t see the big deal. If the grades are the same then I can see the conflict.

My concern is how a lot of fans don't review a new film solely on its own merits. When assessing the new film, they seem to always compare and contrast it with the original trilogy. The final grade is not just for the film itself, but also for how it stacks up against the original trilogy. That can affect and corrupt the ranking process, IMO.

Then there's the criticism that some fans get if they don't rank a certain film as #1 (ex. The Empire Strikes Back). Like here at The Rush Forum, there's an underlying expectation of everyone to rank the albums of the late 70's/early 80's as The Best. Same goes for Star Wars. If you don't rank the original trilogy as The Best, you face criticism and ridicule.

My concern is how a lot of fans don't review a new film solely on its own merits. When assessing the new film, they seem to always compare and contrast it with the original trilogy. The final grade is not just for the film itself, but also for how it stacks up against the original trilogy. That can affect and corrupt the ranking process, IMO.

Then there's the criticism that some fans get if they don't rank a certain film as #1 (ex. The Empire Strikes Back). Like here at The Rush Forum, there's an underlying expectation of everyone to rank the albums of the late 70's/early 80's as The Best. Same goes for Star Wars. If you don't rank the original trilogy as The Best, you face criticism and ridicule.

How they review something doesn’t affect you does it? It doesn’t seem like it from here. Has there truly been criticism or ridicule in this thread? I see a wide spectrum of opinions here and some surprises but very little, if any, ridicule

I generally agree with audience scores more than critics. BUT I would say Last Jedi is higher than a 55%.

Fans are too invested. They had crazy theories on Snoke which would have killed the movie. They had crazy theories on Rey which would have hurt the movie. When their theories proved wrong and their countless hours of pining proved to be as wasted as most people know they were, they threw a hissy fit. Man, I’m glad I avoid spoilers.

BTW, I’m not saying the movie is perfect or that it isn’t fun to discuss this stuff. But it seems people went crazy on this one.

• Like 2

Fans are too invested. They had crazy theories on Snoke which would have killed the movie. They had crazy theories on Rey which would have hurt the movie. When their theories proved wrong and their countless hours of pining proved to be as wasted as most people know they were, they threw a hissy fit. Man, I’m glad I avoid spoilers.

BTW, I’m not saying the movie is perfect or that it isn’t fun to discuss this stuff. But it seems people went crazy on this one.

That’s true. It IS Star Wars after all. Similar (sometimes the same) nuts abound with Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Marvel & DC, Harry Potter, and all the others in the stereotypical geek genre.

• Like 1

How they review something doesn’t affect you does it? It doesn’t seem like it from here. Has there truly been criticism or ridicule in this thread? I see a wide spectrum of opinions here and some surprises but very little, if any, ridicule

I didn't mean specifically in this thread. Allow me to clarify........Just in general, whether it's here or anywhere else online or in real life, some Star Wars fans do catch some flack if they don't conform and put the original films at the Top of the List. It's not a huge problem, but it exists. It comes with the territory when we have such a cult-like following of a film series.....

:goodone: :goodone:

This is one of the best posts yet.

My niece went to the grand opening with me, and she's making herself miserable. She spent so much time and energy theorizing over The Last Jedi that she is now obsessively criticizing it. She didn't let herself enjoy the film. Her expectations were her undoing. I begged her to clear her mind, but she wouldn't listen..... :facepalm:

Look........i have theories in my head. however i know NONE of them are likelly to come true.

bottom line I still give Last Jedi a B +

Is it perfect.....no it has a bunch of things i'd change.

but it was a blast all the same.

Mick

• Like 1

I base my C score on execution almost exclusively. Huge Star Wars fan, but didn’t go into my viewing with any kind of list of expectations. I just don’t think it’s a very good movie, neither made nor edited very well, not to mention the writing. It is easily the least of the Disney SW pictures so far to my sensibilities.
  • Like 5

My C- score is based solely on bad movie making / script / plot decisions. Not how it stacks up against the other movies.

This movie has serious structural problems that I simply can’t get past and the more I consider these problems the more it sucks because smart people had two years to make, at the very least, a decent movie and didn’t.

• Like 3

I thought it was a solid B. I though it was entertaining enough though the Casino sub plot was a bit superfluous.

Also I must have blinked or something because I missed how Rey ends up back on the Millennium Falcon with Chewbacca near the end.

Also I must have blinked or something because I missed how Rey ends up back on the Millennium Falcon with Chewbacca near the end.

When Ben came to after his fight with Rey, Hux was there, ranting about how Rey stole Snoke's shuttle. It was really quick.

Edited by Principled Man