The Last Jedi Reaction thread [SPOILERS galore!]

JohnnyBlaze

Episode VIII  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade The Last Jedi?

2. 2. Do you plan on seeing The Last Jedi in the cinema again?

3. 3. The Last Jedi is better than... ((check the ones that apply))

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Phantom Menace
    • Attack of the Clones
    • Revenge of the Sith
    • The Force Awakens
    • Rogue One
    • NONE!!!

Apparently, J.J. Abrams has already pitched his story for Episode IX to Disney and Lucasfilms. :o

I thought they already had the basic story of the whole trilogy worked out since before episode 7 went into production...

Also, excited to see JJ back on board for 9 now that the other guy is gone. He did a great job with 7 and I bet he does a great job with 9 as well.

I don't know for sure about the trilogy. Rian Johnson sure did split the fan base with his script. Abrams was not involved with The Last Jedi in any way, as far as I know. He has the very large task of pleasing the entire fan base, so I suspect that he will try to repair whatever "damage" Johnson did.

Speculation: We find out more about Rey's family, and Abrams will bring back Luke in some way (which many of us are already predicting). I, for one, would love to see Luke become a truly all-powerful Force-master, who can fully bridge the gap between the physical world and the Force astral plane of existence.

And there will probably be yet another grand technological menace to defeat, although I don't know what more they can come up with!

• Like 1

If Rey’s parents were nobodies and she had no training why does she so easily use the force. I really want an explanation for this.

Rey is simply a naturally gifted Force-aware human, who happened to have two loser parents. It would be like a child with Mozart-like ability, but being born into a backwoods family, with no chance of realizing her potential. Just as Anakin and Luke were Naturals, so is Rey. She's intelligent and a quick learner. She was already adept at fighting and piloting on Jakku, but she was unaware of what the source of her skills truly was.

And like with any great athlete or artist, they're not all the same. They don't all learn at the same rate. Some naturally learn more quickly than others.

Anakin was a natural because he was the chosen one. He didn't have a father, and I get the feeling we're supposed to interpret that more like his mother just became pregnant with him via the mystery of the force more than he was an abandoned baby that showed up on her doorstep. Luke was somebody, he was the son of the chosen one. So as for Rey's heritage, it would not be Star Wars if she wasn't related to somebody very special, or she was someone very special through the force, some kind of new chosen one (I'm banking on Anakin Skywalker reincarnate).

I see it as the Force impregnating Shmi because it was indeed time for a renaissance - the next step in the evolution of the Force, the Jedi and how they use the Force. Anakin started it, Luke continued it, and now Rey's generation will complete the Next Step. That will fulfill the Prophecy.

I will not chain myself to the belief that Rey HAS TO BE biologically related to the Skywalker family or any other special family. As I said in another post above, the Force can be strong in ANYONE. The Force is not solely owned by noble families. It can be found anywhere and in anyone.

Wasn’t it just 2 pages ago where you were criticizing fans for over analyzing all this stuff? ;)

One of my buddies half-joked, “What if Benicio del Toro’s character is Rey’s dad?!”

Other buddy said, “It’s possible I guess. But she’s probably just a nobody as stated.”

I’m thinking she’s just a nobody too. Although before this movie I was in the small camp that thought she was Obi Wan’s kid. That is, Obi got lucky somewhere in that decades long time gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

• Like 2

Apparently, J.J. Abrams has already pitched his story for Episode IX to Disney and Lucasfilms. :o

I thought they already had the basic story of the whole trilogy worked out since before episode 7 went into production...

Also, excited to see JJ back on board for 9 now that the other guy is gone. He did a great job with 7 and I bet he does a great job with 9 as well.

I don't know for sure about the trilogy. Rian Johnson sure did split the fan base with his script. Abrams was not involved with The Last Jedi in any way, as far as I know. He has the very large task of pleasing the entire fan base, so I suspect that he will try to repair whatever "damage" Johnson did.

Speculation: We find out more about Rey's family, and Abrams will bring back Luke in some way (which many of us are already predicting). I, for one, would love to see Luke become a truly all-powerful Force-master, who can fully bridge the gap between the physical world and the Force astral plane of existence.

And there will probably be yet another grand technological menace to defeat, although I don't know what more they can come up with!

Obviously Starkiller Base II, this time without the fatal weakness of the last one, but oh no, the resistance gets to it before it's finished!

Yeah, I agree, JJ is the crowd please, Johnson is the risk taker, but we need both for this to be done right.

I thought all the directors got together before this began and worked out how they wanted this to go though, but idk, I could be wrong. Certainly whoever is writing 9 had some idea what was going to happen in 8 before beginning work on 9.

Another Death Star. A bigger one. And one that’s painted black. Besides, it’s been a full year now since I’ve seen one. :P

• Like 1

If Rey’s parents were nobodies and she had no training why does she so easily use the force. I really want an explanation for this.

Rey is simply a naturally gifted Force-aware human, who happened to have two loser parents. It would be like a child with Mozart-like ability, but being born into a backwoods family, with no chance of realizing her potential. Just as Anakin and Luke were Naturals, so is Rey. She's intelligent and a quick learner. She was already adept at fighting and piloting on Jakku, but she was unaware of what the source of her skills truly was.

And like with any great athlete or artist, they're not all the same. They don't all learn at the same rate. Some naturally learn more quickly than others.

Anakin was a natural because he was the chosen one. He didn't have a father, and I get the feeling we're supposed to interpret that more like his mother just became pregnant with him via the mystery of the force more than he was an abandoned baby that showed up on her doorstep. Luke was somebody, he was the son of the chosen one. So as for Rey's heritage, it would not be Star Wars if she wasn't related to somebody very special, or she was someone very special through the force, some kind of new chosen one (I'm banking on Anakin Skywalker reincarnate).

I see it as the Force impregnating Shmi because it was indeed time for a renaissance - the next step in the evolution of the Force, the Jedi and how they use the Force. Anakin started it, Luke continued it, and now Rey's generation will complete the Next Step. That will fulfill the Prophecy.

I will not chain myself to the belief that Rey HAS TO BE biologically related to the Skywalker family or any other special family. As I said in another post above, the Force can be strong in ANYONE. The Force is not solely owned by noble families. It can be found anywhere and in anyone.

Wasn’t it just 2 pages ago where you were criticizing fans for over analyzing all this stuff? ;)

One of my buddies half-joked, “What if Benicio del Toro’s character is Rey’s dad?!”

Other buddy said, “It’s possible I guess. But she’s probably just a nobody as stated.”

I’m thinking she’s just a nobody too. Although before this movie I was in the small camp that thought she was Obi Wan’s kid. That is, Obi got lucky somewhere in that decades long time gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

I believe the prevailing theory with Kenobi was that he got together with the Duchess of Mandalore in the animated Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network. hehe

I loved that show btw, great edition to the universe, better than the prequels.

Also I'd actually be fine with the codebreaker being Rey's dad, at this point he's kinda somebody, and it would be a crazy twist for her (one of her) parents to be that ambivalent about good and evil.

I believe the prevailing theory with Kenobi was that he got together with the Duchess of Mandalore in the animated Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network. hehe

Also I'd actually be fine with the codebreaker being Rey's dad, at this point he's kinda somebody, and it would be a crazy twist for her (one of her) parents to be that ambivalent about good and evil.

I’ve only seen 1 or 2 episodes of Clone Wars and know nothing about Obi’s dating years.

I’ve only seen 1 or 2 episodes of Clone Wars and know nothing about Obi’s dating years.

Supposedly he had a thing with the duchess of Mandalore when he went to go save the peaceful mandalorians from a cult of folks trying to restart the ancient manalorian warrior thing. Idk, that's about when I started having to tune out to focus on school.

:LOL: Well, my point about that is how fans are overly comparing the new films to the old ones, as a means of deciding if they're good or not.

As for the overall plotlines and moral lessons, I could talk about those all night! :LOL: I like deducing what the Moral of The Story is.....

• Like 1

:LOL: Well, my point about that is how fans are overly comparing the new films to the old ones, as a means of deciding if they're good or not.

As for the overall plotlines and moral lessons, I could talk about those all night! :LOL: I like deducing what the Moral of The Story is.....

I love that 8 actually gets creative with the moral, but doesn't just nihilistically say there is no moral. That might be the prevailing reasoning behind a lot of the choices that make 8 so special. it's got a really new kind of moral for Star Wars.

But JJ's almost definitely just gonna bring it back to good vs evil; don't choose evil, in episode 9, oh well. lol

• Like 1

Not sure how many fans decide through comparing. I can tell you that I didn’t think Phantom Menace was crap because Empire was great. Simply, Phantom was garbage on its own. As such, it sits at the bottom of the pile.

If I had only seen Phantom and nothing else I still would’ve disliked kid Anakin and lame Jar Jar.

Last Jedi has merits and negatives. It’s only natural that it’d be better than some and not as good as others.

I’m comparing the fact that Luke worked very hard with Yoda to be trained and still told he wasn’t ready with the fact that Rey just shows up and does stuff.

• Like 2

I’m comparing the fact that Luke worked very hard with Yoda to be trained and still told he wasn’t ready with the fact that Rey just shows up and does stuff.

We could say that as Luke had a lot of doubt and fear in him, it hindered his progress.

The Force is strong in the Skywalker family, but that doesn't mean they're the strongest. Rey and Ben appear to be stronger.

There a few things I’d do differently but overall it was very good to excellent. I liked it enough that I’ll see it again but I’ll share my gripes short list with you.

1. No one in the RESISTANCE follows orders or a chain of command. No wonder they get their asses handed to them. They are the Resistance now...

2. Rose and Fin have on screen chemistry but Rose twice annoyed me. Her anti-capitalist speech at the Trump casino resort was a bit heavy handed. Fin was about to have one of the most powerful moments in the franchise then comes damn Rose.

3. Much of the “horse racing” felt stuffed in for kids, not a big deal it is an all ages series.

4. Communicating vast distances via the Force. I guess there always some elements of that.

5. Rey’s ability to command the Force with ease...again.

6. Rey’s parents being “nobodies”.

7. Luke dying at the end seems to serve no purpose.

• Like 1

Fin was about to have one of the most powerful moments in the franchise then comes damn Rose.

This is an interesting take. What were you expecting Fin to do? I'm genuinely curious.

Fin was about to have one of the most powerful moments in the franchise then comes damn Rose.

This is an interesting take. What were you expecting Fin to do? I'm genuinely curious.

When Fin was about to sacrifice himself to take out the battering ram cannon. The way it was shot was beautiful, I fell for it. I actually thought the film would make the bold move of sacrificing this main character...sigh scene ruined.

• Like 2

When Fin was about to sacrifice himself to take out the battering ram cannon. The way it was shot was beautiful, I fell for it. I actually thought the film would make the bold move of sacrificing this main character...sigh scene ruined.

I don't think it would've been worth it, Fin wasn't really present enough in this movie, for him to die would've made him unable to redeem himself in 9, and as important as he was in 7 he deserves a proper hero arc.

OK, I thought you were referring to another scene. Yep, that surprised me when Rose foiled his plans.

We could say that as Luke had a lot of doubt and fear in him, it hindered his progress.

The Force is strong in the Skywalker family, but that doesn't mean they're the strongest. Rey and Ben appear to be stronger.

It’s disengenuous to say that the other movies gave the impression that using the force could be made to look easy for a newcomer. Anakin used it in the pod race but he wasn’t manipulating consciously but reacting. Rey is consciously doing advanced things including understanding advanced saber combat with absolutely no training. Some explanation is needed.

• Like 2

It’s disengenuous to say that the other movies gave the impression that using the force could be made to look easy for a newcomer. Anakin used it in the pod race but he wasn’t manipulating consciously but reacting. Rey is consciously doing advanced things including understanding advanced saber combat with absolutely no training. Some explanation is needed.

Disingenuous? Really? OK..... :eyeroll: I never said that the Force could be made to look easy for a newcomer. There is nothing "disingenuous" in suggesting that some Force-sensitive people are quicker learners than others.

Rey was already well trained in hand-to-hand combat with her staff on Jakku. She was just not using a lightsaber, which is just another weapon that anyone can use. Learning to use the Force just made her better at it. Finn could also fight with a lightsaber, as he was also trained in hand-to-hand combat as a Stormtrooper.

• Like 1

That would’ve been crap ((I was afraid it was going to happen and was thinking ‘Again?’)) since Laura Dern had just sacrificed herself in basically the same way maybe just 15 minutes earlier. I’m glad it didn’t happen!

Disingenuous? Really? OK..... :eyeroll: I never said that the Force could be made to look easy for a newcomer. There is nothing "disingenuous" in suggesting that some Force-sensitive people are quicker learners than others.

Rey was already well trained in hand-to-hand combat with her staff on Jakku. She was just not using a lightsaber, which is just another weapon that anyone can use. Learning to use the Force just made her better at it. Finn could also fight with a lightsaber, as he was also trained in hand-to-hand combat as a Stormtrooper.

You just can’t have a regular discussion like normal people, can you? My opinion is as at least as valid as yours. I suggest you relax and enjoy a conversation about a fairy tale, not anything that can have a truth.

I love that 8 actually gets creative with the moral, but doesn't just nihilistically say there is no moral. That might be the prevailing reasoning behind a lot of the choices that make 8 so special. it's got a really new kind of moral for Star Wars.

But JJ's almost definitely just gonna bring it back to good vs evil; don't choose evil, in episode 9, oh well. lol

One of the best additions of this movie is leaving the “all light or all dark” dichotomy behind, and redefining what balance to the force means.

• Like 1

There is a lot of tacit explanation. First, she already excelled at advanced combat through previous training. Each time Ren probed her she got more knowledge of how to use the force from him (again blurring the line between light and dark). Unlike Luke in Dagobah, Rey’s time with Luke is not necessarily confined to the timeline of this movie and could have been much longer than the time of the extended space ship snail race). Plus, the force grew more powerful in each of the OT movies, and took a huge bump up in the PT movies. As movies need to be bigger and better for the market, the power of the force has grown to meet that demand.

• Like 1

The plot to this mess was totally unfucking believable: we're to accept the fact that OTHER bad guy space ships (One Republic or The New Order or Fallout Vader, whatever the hell they're called) couldn't jump in front of the rebels and finish them off? Really? The entire plot was laughably contrived and much of what followed was equally as foolish and boring.

The whole casino trip was DUMB, oh and they just happen to run into a super thief/codebreaker in jail...right. None of that had to happen if the ultimate end game they had in mind was the fight scenes on Snoke's ship. None of that wasted time was necessary nor was it very interesting.

Why exactly is Kylo Ren evil? Why? His character makes zero sense. Perhaps the thing between he and Luke was a more formative experience but did they elaborate on it? Hell no. It's all vague and up to second guessing. There has to be a Vader stand in so I guess he'll do. Did Han beat him as a child or get drunk and slap Leia around? I suspect we'll never know exactly why he's the bad guy.

Rey...apparently she's a Jedi Master now even after telling Luke, all teary eyed, that she's afraid of what's inside of her. Guess 3 quick lessons is all it takes to become a powerful Master. Dumb. But hey, she had to get on that ship and fight Ren by the end of the movie and set up the next film so why not. Yawn.

Leia...holy balls! Who needs Luke Skywalker when the Princess can go all Force Mary Poppins and fly through space like that. The worst part of that is that we've NEVER seen any indication that she has that kind of control with the Force. We were always told she had it but she's never displayed it like that before. Plus it was kinda comical and not in the goofy, predictable, groan inducing comical way the rest of the move tried to be.

Snoke...just who the hell is this guy? Where did he come from? How did he get to become leader of One Republic? Doesn't matter now I guess. Oh well.

There were a few good parts like Laura Dern's sacrifice which was pretty cool, Luke's mind f**k on everyone at the end...though I was hoping for an epic light saber duel between he and Ren.

I did not like this movie at all. Bloated, entirely too long, too many characters doing mostly boring, nonsensical and stupid things to fit the plot. It could be that I'm expecting too much from a silly Star Wars movie or it could be that these movies are the same but I'm 47 now rather than 7 or 10 or 13. Probably a mixture of the two.

• Like 5

You just can’t have a regular discussion like normal people, can you? My opinion is as at least as valid as yours. I suggest you relax and enjoy a conversation about a fairy tale, not anything that can have a truth.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I was having a very pleasant conversation with everyone here, until YOU ruined it by accusing me of being disingenuous.

Be an adult and admit your mistake.