I've lived through the radio era, tape era, the Turntable era and now the DIGITAL era. My search, thoughout my life, Has been the search for PURE SOUND reproduction to my EARS! This can NOT be produced through fricttion, needle against Vinyl, Tape against Player head, electronics in radio reception. etc.

THIS is what I've been waiting for. but I also like OWNING the material, co CDs fill the bill. If you've read some of my posts You'll know that I have lots of cassette tapes recorded of past events in my life, so a LOT of this imperfection is in evidence. I'm happy in the current times that this DIGITAL era that I no longer have to put up with the SH*T that used to pass for listening to music before now! What are your thoughts?

kiFilFN.jpg

• Like 1

I listen to music basically three ways...digital format, on CD or vinyl.

I do find vinyl to be the best sounding.

I try to find Japanese pressings of CDs, or SHM, Blue Spec or Audio Fidelity & MFSL.

Digital is a necessary evil I suppose, but I try to use FLAC or MP3 @ 320 Kbps.

It is quite fun trying to find improved sound...strange hobby/obsession really.

• Like 2

What about CASSETTES???

Like the new SAXON album cassette??

47592.jpg

Thunderbolt will be available to pre-order on December 1st in the following formats:

• CD Album in Digipack

• 180 gms coloured vinyl in a Gatefold

• A Special Edition Boxset

• Tape Cassette

• Digital Download

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

All.

-I've got a vinyl collection of albums I feel pretty strong about w/vinyl or stuff I jumped across by chance at a record store and felt worth the risk to buy on the format, and I play vinyl on a consistent basis but only listen to the medium when I have enough free time to devote to using it.

- Digital's great for when I'm commuting or when it's late hours and still awake cause I can't play vinyl due to no headphone pre-amp, etc. Usually if I have it on CD obviously on digital cause I burnt it onto iTunes. If a vinyl/cassette has a download code for a digital copy, that's another way of having it on digital. The rest of digital stuff I have are through Spotify or Bandcamp (which also has an option to buy CDs/LPs/CSs and other merch for most bands on the platform).

- CDs are usually for whenever I don't feel too strongly about owning an album on vinyl, is the only available physical format available and/or it's logistically the most affordable physical medium to buy out of all the options.

- Cassettes only come into play when it's the only physical format available and this only happens when it's underground music.

• Like 1

I miss the LP ritual from the 70's.

Driving to the local record store to buy an album on the day of its release

Staring at the gatefold and reading credits while listening to the music

• Like 2

Digital all the way. I think about the time and money wasted on dubbing LPs to cassettes so you could take them in the car and how fast cassettes went bad and have no desire to return to those days.
  • Like 1

Digital all the way. I think about the time and money wasted on dubbing LPs to cassettes so you could take them in the car and how fast cassettes went bad and have no desire to return to those days.

You're gonna return bucko, I'm gonna send you there and you're gonna like it. I'm going to use an EMP device to ruin your digital landscape for good! You'll be in CASSETTE heaven once again and forever! :smoke:

You're gonna return bucko, I'm gonna send you there and you're gonna like it. I'm going to use an EMP device to ruin your digital landscape for good! You'll be in CASSETTE heaven once again and forever! :smoke:

What, are you doing your HITLER impersonation? 80pUeFS.gif?1

qf1peC8.gif

I think it's hard to beat CDs for a lot of reasons. They capture a fuller range of sounds (not so constricted within the 'warm' mid ranges), they are more consistent (no need to worry about changing groove width), and they don't carry any white noise with them.

Most of the problems ascribed to CDs are the result of artless engineering and overcompression, but I'll take a well engineered CD over Vinyl anyday.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

95% of the time I listen to vinyl records. It is better in any way. Better sound (if it is true analog ofcourse, and not those later reissues that is digital "remastered") and those that say that vinyl records do NOT sound better have to check their ears! And it is more fun to collect then tiny CDs or files on computer, and I also like owning the records, and support the artists that I like. And then I am also a collector so its also great fun to collect first pressings and get better and better pressings and compare!

3% of the time I listen to CDs. It is when the vinyl record version is CRAZY expensive and I am not a hardcore fan of the artist. And I can also listen to the CDs in my car, and some of the CDs I have got from my dad, when I want to try his music, and he is in this digital/CD era.. (he hate vinyl records). And it is also nicer to listen to CDs when I just want the music as background music while I am doing other stuff, then its easier, so I do not have to go and flip the records all the time.

2% of the time I listen to digital files. Thats when I am not home (or in my car) then I listen to music on my phone, but then it is FLAC files, and NOT mp3 files! Because I want full quality of the music!

Cassettes went bad? I have a old mix tape in my car that my dad made in the 90s, and it still sound great!