Why not a 40th Anniversary of Caress of Steel??

Jaminbenb

Didn't sell enough records.

^^^^^^Yeah that is true, it's one of there worst selling albums and a lot of people hate it (Not me but i'm not huge on it) . Even the band said themselfs it was there "Down The Tubes Tour" because the record did not hold well at all. They almost called it quits after that so like yeah, and i'm sure the band doesn't like it eather.

Edit: fixed the quotations part

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

^^^^^^Yeah that is true, it's one of there worst selling albums and a lot of people hate it (Not me but i'm not huge on it) . Even the band said themselfs it was there "Down On The Dumps Tour" because the record did not hold well at all. They almost called it quits after that so like yeah, and i'm sure the band doesn't like it eather.

Wasn't it the Down the Tubes Tour?

• Like 1

^^^^^^Yeah that is true, it's one of there worst selling albums and a lot of people hate it (Not me but i'm not huge on it) . Even the band said themselfs it was there "Down On The Dumps Tour" because the record did not hold well at all. They almost called it quits after that so like yeah, and i'm sure the band doesn't like it eather.

Wasn't it the Down the Tubes Tour?

Oh yeah whoops, thanks man!

• Like 1

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.

I am new to this forum too. This is my first post.

A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

Nice to meet everyone here btw

• Like 10

A 40th anni release of COS would have been something that I would have loved. I am relatively new to the band, so it would have been a good introduction to that time.

A 40th anni of COS would have been timely considering the band was on a farewell tour.

Nice to meet u too man!! U need song suggestions btw??

Edited by Permanent-Rush
  • Like 1

They didn't exactly make "hits" in those days...

That's not the point. Whoever is pushing for these 40th Anniversary sets wants to make money so they only choose the better selling ones.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

There are some big fans of it on the forum but it's not particularly popular here either so far as I can tell.

I personally think that Lakeside Park and Bastille Day are great songs and think Alex's guitar playing on The Necromancer is kick ass.

This was supposed to be their breakthrough album and at the time they were very proud of it.

The listening public didn't agree; album sales were low and the tour supporting the album drew thin crowds and saw them playing ever smaller venues; they jokingly referred to it as the "Down The Tubes" tour because they figured they were finished as a band.

Rush excitedly played some of the material from the album (then still not finished) for members of the band Kiss while touring with them as an opening act and the members of Kiss were decidedly underwhelmed.

Following the disastrous reception of COS their record company essentially gave them an ultimatum to the effect that if their next album didn't return to the more conventional hard rock format of their previous recordings they would be dropped from the label.

Rush famously defied the ultimatum by following COS with the decidedly unconventional 2112, which ended up being the breakthrough album they hoped COS would be; one of the ballsiest moves in the history of rock.

If you haven't seen the great Rush documentary film "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage", you should definitely see it. Aside from being a great film, it gives a much better description of the problems the band encountered following the release of COS than I could possibly provide.

Again, welcome to the forum!

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know why they didn't do a 40th anniversary release of COS, but the members of Rush are on record as considering the album something of an embarrassment and as others here have pointed out it is one of their worst selling albums.

There are some big fans of it on the forum but it's not particularly popular here either so far as I can tell.

I personally think that Lakeside Park and Bastille Day are great songs and think Alex's guitar playing on The Necromancer is kick ass.

This was supposed to be their breakthrough album and at the time they were very proud of it.

The listening public didn't agree; album sales were low and the tour supporting the album drew thin crowds and saw them playing ever smaller venues; they jokingly referred to it as the "Down The Tubes" tour because they figured they were finished as a band.

Rush excitedly played some of the material from the album (then still not finished) for members of the band Kiss while touring with them as an opening act and the members of Kiss were decidedly underwhelmed.

Following the disastrous reception of COS their record company essentially gave them an ultimatum to the effect that if their next album didn't return to the more conventional hard rock format of their previous recordings they would be dropped from the label.

Rush famously defied the ultimatum by following COS with the decidedly unconventional 2112, which ended up being the breakthrough album they hoped COS would be; one of the ballsiest moves in the history of rock.

If you haven't seen the great Rush documentary film "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage", you should definitely see it. Aside from being a great film, it gives a much better description of the problems the band encountered following the release of COS than I could possibly provide.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Btw I think it's on Netflix if u wanna watch it, depends on country thou.

• Like 1

Seminal album, classical Rush, when i go through a COS phase i often think possibly even their best

Is album i actually chill too the most has a beautiful laid back old worldly feel to it but nothing wilder than Al letting rip in The Necromancer, nothing.

10/10

• Like 4

Hey Princess, welcome to the forum !!

And great point about the timing, and how the band could have capitalized with all the R40 hype that was happening

I would have been all in on a Caress Of Steel set - it's up there with their best

• Like 4

:hi: Hi Princess! Welcome to TRF!

• Like 1

Ahhh,i can just imagine the bonus tracks to a 40 th CoS. Foo Fighters-I Think Im Going Bald,Dream Theater fiddling through the Fountain of Lamenth,Yngwie Malmsteen murdering Bastille Day and the stand alone narration to the Necromancer.