Alex's Phaser/Flanger

winter17

I can hear Alex using phaser/flanger in a lot of songs, especially early on, but with my phaser pedal I can't seem to find the right rate to match Alex's sound. Does anyone know how fast it is? Or does my question even make sense? I am just starting to get into the technical aspects of guitars/amps/pedals as I've been a casual player for years.
  • Like 2

He used a Maestro Phase and and Echoplex from Fly By Night through 2112. Starting on Hemispheres, he used a Boss CE-1. He also used a Roland Jazz Chorus 120, which has the Boss CE-1 built into it. When they recorded Permanent Waves, he was using the Boss CE-1, the EHX Electric Mistress, and a Roland Space Echo for delay (replacing the Echoplex.)
  • Like 2

Here are some quotes from the man himself:

Regarding 2112:

“I used the ES-335 again and a Strat, which I borrowed for the session; I couldn’t afford one at the time. I used a Marshall 50-watt and the Fender Twin as well. I may have had a Hiwatt in the studio at that time, too, but I think it came a little later. My effects were a Maestro phase shifter and a good old Echoplex. There were a limited number of effects available back then. The Echoplex and wah-wah were staples in those days.”

The Spirit Of Radio:

“By the time we cut this, I was using mainly a Strat that I had modified by putting humbuckers in the bridge position. I also used the 355, which I used in the studio for the next couple of records. My amps were Hiwatts, the Marshall and the Twin. I also had a Sixties Bassman head and cabinet. The flanger on that song was an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress, which I still have. I used the Boss Chorus Ensemble, and I had graduated to the Roland Space Echo, which replaced my Echoplex.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine/interview-alex-lifeson-dissects-11-key-rush-songs-anthem-test-echo

• Like 2

Here are some quotes from the man himself:

Regarding 2112:

“I used the ES-335 again and a Strat, which I borrowed for the session; I couldn’t afford one at the time. I used a Marshall 50-watt and the Fender Twin as well. I may have had a Hiwatt in the studio at that time, too, but I think it came a little later. My effects were a Maestro phase shifter and a good old Echoplex. There were a limited number of effects available back then. The Echoplex and wah-wah were staples in those days.”

The Spirit Of Radio:

“By the time we cut this, I was using mainly a Strat that I had modified by putting humbuckers in the bridge position. I also used the 355, which I used in the studio for the next couple of records. My amps were Hiwatts, the Marshall and the Twin. I also had a Sixties Bassman head and cabinet. The flanger on that song was an Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress, which I still have. I used the Boss Chorus Ensemble, and I had graduated to the Roland Space Echo, which replaced my Echoplex.”

https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine/interview-alex-lifeson-dissects-11-key-rush-songs-anthem-test-echo

We read the same article!

:cheers:

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 1

By the time of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, it looks as if Alex was using a custom designed pedalboard in the studio .. I guess there is no way of telling what the guts of the effects were - did he somehow have the stock Electric Mistress electronic put into this board, or were these custom made effects ??

Rush-Permanent-Waves-Photographer-Fin-Costello-820x502.jpg

873fe57a473f14d6c00718bcc796a6f2.jpg

And from memory, I seem to recall Alex talking about an Eventide rack unit he used for the sound in The Spirit Of Radio in the studio, but it was the Electric Mistress live ...

Edited by Lucas

In addition to the Electric Mistress, my recommendation would be this:

A/DA Flanger .. they made it back in the 70s and then reissued it ... I have a reissue from about 15 years ago, and it is killer

0b41f6d9-ceb9-45d2-85e7-650203315622.JPG

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Best Maestro PS1-A pedal clone is the Heptode Virtuoso. He typically used the middle button for a med speed. Best alternate is Eartquaker Devices Grand orbiter. Great approximation.

For flange...Mooer E lady is great for EM tones. Next up is Retrosonic flanger (I have). Its excellent. Best but very expensive is the Thorpy camoglange. Thats set to a slow-med speed