Presto - First Reaction

Lorraine

... this album has Neil's best most interesting drum work of his career...

WHAT??? Presto has some his most pedestrian drumming. Check that: it is the most pedestrian drumming he did.

From the epics of COS - ‘Spheres to arena rock of MP & PeW to the electronica of GUP-HYF there’s WAY more interesting, challenging & experimental drumming then anything on Presto.

Depends on what you're after. I like most of the drumming on Presto a lot, mainly because it is more controlled and in pocket. The entire approach to the album was refreshing for me to hear from them in that way. A perfect counter to a very busy HYF.
  • Like 2

WHAT??? Presto has some his most pedestrian drumming. Check that: it is the most pedestrian drumming he did.

From the epics of COS - ‘Spheres to arena rock of MP & PeW to the electronica of GUP-HYF there’s WAY more interesting, challenging & experimental drumming then anything on Presto.

Depends on what you're after. I like most of the drumming on Presto a lot, mainly because it is more controlled and in pocket. The entire approach to the album was refreshing for me to hear from them in that way. A perfect counter to a very busy HYF.

and i'm glad you love ALL that stuff.

I just Found Presto's drumming had an energy and a vibrancy to it that is very unique and refreshing.

some of his choices On that record are certainly Different and i feel he kinda got a tad stale after.

Mick

• Like 1

:goodone:

• Like 2

If I lost Presto and Hemispheres I'd only notice a lack of Presto and buy that.
  • Like 2

And just to say and give a bit of perspective. i've always been an AOR guy (yes AOR over prog ANYTIME, lol) So Rush doing AOR ( which i don't care Presto is.....if a tad more involved) was always going to draw me in.

Presto forever.

Mick

• Like 1

Presto could have been done by Tears 4 Fears. There’s not much I find inspiring or vibrant on it. I wish T4F would have made it rather than Rush.

The whole period from Power Windows to T4E is like Albert Pujols time with the Angels.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Does anyone here remember their first reaction to the album when it came out?

“My stars! These guys continue to amaze me.”

• Like 2

Overheard at Themeland Park in Stockton CA during the Presto tour:

"I've told them a hundred times: put Rush first and Air Supply last"--Ray (Jeannine) Danniels

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Presto is what would have saved the protagonist if that is what he would have pulled out of his kimono when the Priests asked, "Just think about the average, what use have they for you?"
  • Like 1

My first response to Presto was all about money. My money.

And how it just disappered. *Presto*

Yeah, Rush owes me 16 dollars for that one. The supporting Dallas show was awesome, but I found the album to be somewhat lame.

Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of respect for the people who became fans during this era, and I also know that Rush needed to do the album , but Presto is my least favorite Rush album of all time. Show Don't Tell is an excellent song, but it gave me high expectations for an album that makes me think of something William Shakespeare once said: Expectation is the root of all heartbreak.

My initial thoughts on Presto... well, funny thing for me is that my reaction to almost all of their new CD's/albums after Signals was pretty much the same... I didn't like any of them very much initially, and it took years for each album to really sink in and grow on me. But in the end, I almost always wound up liking every album, some more than others obviously. As for Presto specifically, I didn't think it was much different from HYF. The songs and vibe still felt like Rush was starting to lean more towards a "soft rock" sound, vs a "hard rock" sound, at least to me anyway. At the time, I couldn't distinguish or make out the nuances of their new music. I didn't know what they were doing, or where they were going... and I was still too young and rigid, as a listener, to fully appreciate and embrace the changes in their music. I liked a few songs a little, like Superconductor, but otherwise I was pretty much indifferent. But that NEVER stopped me from going to see them live, because I already knew that no matter what I thought of their current albums... they were always going to be awesome in concert. And one of my enduring memories of all the Rush concerts in my life, was at the Presto show, when the two giant bunnies were inflated and bouncing to the beat of Tom Sawyer. That awesome memory is burned in my brain. Side note, I recall reading that all three of them feel like Presto is the one album that they are all disappointed with the mix, and that it's the one album that they'd like to go back and remix. (other than VT, which they already did remix) As for the present, as the years have gone by I have come to like Presto more and more... as I said, which seems to be the case with most of their albums for me. They eventually grow on me... like fine wines. Edited by Cmutt

Since I am but a youngster and I was introduced to Rush songs in an incredibly bizarre order, I believe the first song I heard from Presto was The Pass. I wasn't hooked right away (although I knew about three Rush songs by this time and probably couldn't even remember the names of all three at any given time back then), but I eventually caught on and it is now consistently in my top 15 or 20. I think Presto has its moments, and it has its moments where its not memorable to say the least, but if you listen for pleasure and not too terribly cynically then I think it's easy to find a lot of enjoyment throughout the album.
  • Like 1

I could talk about it all day but if I summarize it...

It change my entire life

It was my door to RUSH

It was my first experience of RUSH

So I was trying to figure out, what is this, it sounds like...like mmmm, gash I dont know, I have no frame for this

Its such a fine rock

such a sound

like clean distortion? which is impossible but this guy did it

I can hear glasses shattered on each punch of Chain lighting

I can hear birds on Anagram

Show dont tell is the weirdest song ever, I actually created a new order to hear this record

you could think its a stupid thing, and that the order dont changes the facts, but ...it does

this is my perfect way that that record should come out, cant tell the tale right now about how I came to it but it is truly magic, try it-

Supercon

chain

show

Presto

Scars

Anagram

Red tide

War

Hand

Pass

Av light

• Like 1

Presto had the biggest emotional impact on me of all the Rush albums. Sure the production lacked thier usual power, but with a good stereo with the bass nob rolled up I'm happy to spend 52 minutes listening to it all the way through. Some Rush albums aren't like that for me but I think Presto is great start to finish and the only post-70s album I liked right away. Show Don't Tell is enough of a proggy return to form for me! Geddy sings great on it, it's mature and not trendy sounding. It seems like what would have done after Signals if they hadn't gone full synth rock. Love it. +100 for bunnies

Presto had the biggest emotional impact on me of all the Rush albums. Sure the production lacked thier usual power, but with a good stereo with the bass nob rolled up I'm happy to spend 52 minutes listening to it all the way through. Some Rush albums aren't like that for me but I think Presto is great start to finish and the only post-70s album I liked right away. Show Don't Tell is enough of a proggy return to form for me! Geddy sings great on it, it's mature and not trendy sounding. It seems like what would have done after Signals if they hadn't gone full synth rock. Love it. +100 for bunnies

:ebert:

Presto does have thin production, but also great songs and an atmosphere that I can't quite put my finger on. I think this atmosphere combined with the great songs makes for a compelling record. It's a reflective, triumphant containing great songs, generally. Presto strides forward with certainty. Roll The Bones seems as though the guys were going through the motions more, its less cohesive with similar production values.

Like many of the "special" Rush albums, Presto came at a time in my life, that mirrored and summed up very well, what I was personally going through.

• Like 1

Presto does have thin production, but also great songs and an atmosphere that I can't quite put my finger on. I think this atmosphere combined with the great songs makes for a compelling record. It's a reflective, triumphant containing great songs, generally. Presto strides forward with certainty. Roll The Bones seems as though the guys were going through the motions more, its less cohesive with similar production values.

Like many of the "special" Rush albums, Presto came at a time in my life, that mirrored and summed up very well, what I was personally going through.