It's the measure of a life...

GeddyRulz

My brother-in-law died Tuesday morning, from complications following open-heart surgery. He was 51 and had two young children. We feel just terrible for my sister and those kids.

He was a big Rush fan; it's what cemented my friendship with him, when my sister began dating him 18 years ago. We'd go to the Rush shows together, try playing Rush songs together (him on drums, me on bass), talk about Rush.

I was approached about finding some Rush music for his funeral today (Sat, 10/28), and didn't hesitate with my choice. "The Garden," of course! So appropriate. I played it for my sister, and she loved it. She was bawling, just as I've been bawling, listening to it this week with Chris in mind. The minister, surpringly, already knows the song, but felt it would be better if I RECITE the words, as a poem or reading, rather than play the actual 7-minute song.

So that's part of my long day today: reading The Garden aloud at a funeral service and trying to get through it. Practice has helped; we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 13

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, sir. I shall be remembering you and the family in my prayers.

My condolences to you and your sis and your family GR .. I am so sorry, and as I'm sure you realize, words cannot do justice to the emotions you and your family are feeling ..

Hang in there and lean on your big Rush family here when you need to

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

It went well - all that practice must've helped. I recited The Garden entirely without notes, with good inflection, and no tears. (Tears certainly came before and after.) I humbly accepted praise on how well I did, then drove home from the service playing a mix of Rush tracks - sending Chris off with a last blast of our favorite band.

Another note: those CDs of "classical renditions of Rush songs" came in handy again today. I had the funeral parlor play them throughout calling hours. To an older person with an aversion to hard rock, they were completely inoffensive and tasteful. To me and some others, it was "Hey, that's actually Limelight!" (I'm referring to "A Baroque Tribute to Rush" and the superior "Exit Stage Right: A String Quartet Tribute to Rush.")

• Like 5

My brother-in-law died Tuesday morning, from complications following open-heart surgery. He was 51 and had two young children. We feel just terrible for my sister and those kids.

He was a big Rush fan; it's what cemented my friendship with him, when my sister began dating him 18 years ago. We'd go to the Rush shows together, try playing Rush songs together (him on drums, me on bass), talk about Rush.

I was approached about finding some Rush music for his funeral today (Sat, 10/28), and didn't hesitate with my choice. "The Garden," of course! So appropriate. I played it for my sister, and she loved it. She was bawling, just as I've been bawling, listening to it this week with Chris in mind. The minister, surpringly, already knows the song, but felt it would be better if I RECITE the words, as a poem or reading, rather than play the actual 7-minute song.

So that's part of my long day today: reading The Garden aloud at a funeral service and trying to get through it. Practice has helped; we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for reading.

:hug2: :rose: :hug2: :rose: :hug2: --> I hope this helps you.

My condolences to you. I think the band would be very touched to know that this song, which has sort of capped their career, is being used in this way as a tribute to a person's life and the people he connected with.
  • Like 1